Chapter 53 - What the heart wants

Kimi's POV

Upon opening my eyes I was greeted with the sight of Keigo kneeling on the ground with a nervous smile and a small black box cupped between his palms.

"Keigo ... what are you doing?" I asked hesitantly looking down at what looked at the engagement ring in his hand and feeling my throat go dry.

"Relax Babybird it's not what you think, not yet anyways." He chuckled watching me visibly relax. He moved slowly grasping my left hand tightly with his right and stroking it gently with his thumb.

"I told you hawks mate for life and I meant that. But I let you down - no, no dismissing it baby! I watched the tapes, you called out my name and I wasn't there. I wasn't there when you needed me but I'm not about to let that happen again. This is a promise ring. It's a promise that I'll always be there for you. I'll always have your back and I'll always love you Babybird. So, what do you say, will you accept it?" He smiled wearily a nervous air seeming to glow around the golden man, his wings shaking as he awaited my response.

I couldn't help the tears that formed in my eyes from the sight before me. I seriously don't deserve this man. After everything that has happened, here he is feeling guilty for not saving me sooner. God, I love this man.

"Umm, Babybird? You okay? My knee is starting to hurt a little here." He awkwardly laughed at my silence before I launched myself on him, hugging him tightly as we both collapsed back on the cold living room floor.

"Wow! Haha I take that as a yes?" Keigo laughed playing with my hair slightly as I littered his neck with kisses.

"Yes yes yes yes!" I giggled cupping his face and pecking it repeatedly with messy kisses watching him blush and chuckle in response.

"Okay let's make this official!" He grinned taking my left hand and slipping on the silver ring onto my finger, where it sat cold but comfortably. It was beautiful. A small band, encapsulated by light silver wings, the details of each feather shining out against the dim light from the television that still flickered in the background.

"It's so beautiful." I whispered out staring down at the band in awe.

"Just like someone else I know." Keigo said bringing my hands up to his lips to kiss them lightly.

"Such a cheesy smooth talker." I smiled sticking out my tongue at him.

"Oh I was talking about Peanut." He said with a playful wink as we both burst into joyful laughter, not just from his words but from the overwhelming feeling of euphoria. It's strange to imagine that I was abducted by the League of Villians and living in their headquarters just this morning. Yet here I am now, cuddling up to Keigo, promise ring firmly on my hand and feeling like the world is in perfect balance.

"Be honest baby. If I had asked you to marry me, what would you have said?" He asked somewhat nervously, still playing with my hair.

"I would have said yes in a heartbeat you silly bird." I grinned back.

"That's good to know ha. I don't think I've ever felt happier than I do right now in this moment." Keigo smiled kissing my forehead as we continued to hug one another close, not even bothering to get up from the floor.

"Neither have I. I love you Keigo." I smiled tightening my hold around his waist and remaining in this blissful state just a little while longer.

Dabi's POV

I sat hunched over on the dusty ground of our new headquarters, if you could even call it that. We found ourselves in a derelict concrete wasteland. Litter and dust scattered across the ground like a blanket, making our disheartened state appear all the worse. We had lost the kid, the headquarters, and All for One. But even more than that I had lost Kimi.

Is this what she felt like all those years ago? Watching me leave without a goodbye? I hated leaving her but there was something even worse about right now. Now she wasn't at home with her family and friends. She was with him and that thought alone made my heart burn with jealousy. I can't form the words to describe how much I wanted her to join me with the League. We could be partners in crime, in a literal sense. But if she did join me, wouldn't that be wrong? I love her for who she is, the fun loving, stubborn book worm. Not whoever she would become with the League. I changed so much when I left, but I can't force the same change on Kimi. It was selfish of me to ask her to join the League. It was selfish of me to kiss her. It was selfish of me to even leave in the first place. If I ever see her again I have to apologise for that, for all of it. Damn, what if I never see her again? That thought alone made my heart hurt.

The others were scattered around the dusty building, their ash covered faces looking out like ghosts amongst the debris. Joining the League had felt like a new hopeful start, yet right now it was as though we were grieving for the bright future we had lost in just one night.

"They took father. They took father." Shigaraki muttered over and over again, scratching at his neck until he began to bleed.

"Tomura, we must start over and reform the League. We cannot afford to fall into disarray." Kurogiri consoled placing a tentative hand on Crusty lip's back, aware that one wrong move could get him disintegrated.

"I know ... but they took Kimiko too." He growled in his nasaly tone, making my heart clench. It was wrong for me to try and get her involved in the League in the first place, he can't start dragging her back.

"They took the kid too why does it matter?" I grumble out trying not to sound interested. The others around me began to chat amongst themselves already bored of the conversation.

"She was one of us, or she would have been. I - we need her back." Shograrki growled back staring up at me with  angry crimson eyes.

"You never cared for Muscular or Moonfish or Mustard when they got captured and they were one of us? What makes the new girl so special?" I asked trying to put him off trying to make contact again. He wouldn't want the others to think he's gone soft or that he's developed feelings for her. Calling him out in front if them is my best bet. I was the one who dragged her into this world and as much as I want her to be with me, there is no way I want her anywhere near Shigaraki.

"She is useful." He sneered not meeting my gaze.

"And the others weren't?" I pushed.

"I want her!" He growled out scratching at his neck bitterly, his cold voice resounding over the hollow building and silencing the quiet murmurs of the others.

"Just drop it Dabi. I'm getting her back." He murmured before walking off to one of the back rooms and leaving me standing frozen in place. Damn it, that feathered bastard is one thing but why Shigaraki of all people?!