Chapter 14 - Coffee with the Bird Brain

Kimi's POV

I returned home and after feeding Peanut, fell into a dreamless sleep on my couch, trying to forget about the day that had passed. Work had been a long and tiring even if it ended earlier than usual. The media had not heard about what happened yet but I wasn't looking forward to the frenzy that tomorrow would bring.

*** Time Skip***

My alarm actually went off on time (praise be to Captain Levi!) however sleeping on the couch had left my lower back and neck stiff.

"Urgh why didn't I sleep in bed?!" I moan stretching and cracking my back in the process. Peanut gave a loud screech having been rudely woken up by the sound of my back cracking.

"Sorry baby!" I called getting his breakfast together before starting my morning routine. I turned the TV on in the background for noise but soon came to an abrupt stop listening to the news anchor speaking about the USJ attack.

"How can an institution tasked with the protection of our children allow something like this to happen? We have pro-heroes working there. Even All Might works there, and yet they put our children at risk. Maybe it's time we reconsider whether UA is a reliable source of education for our young people..." I turned the TV off, not wanting to listen to this idiot anymore.

Did he seriously think UA just let this happen? UA have top grade security. This has never happened before, so they can't just act as though we are throwing the students into the arms of villains!

Then again I can understand why people are so on edge. I had sent Shoto an excessive amount of text messages on my way home to make sure he was all right, even though I knew no students were hurt. But the idea of my little Shoto being hurt made my head spin.
Even people with no connection to UA would feel shook about the attack. With All Might around, we have all gotten comfortable. We expect the world around us to be safe. The fear I felt after seeing All Might injured slowly overcame me again and I shivered slightly.

I waved goodbye to Peanut and made my way out closing my door and making sure it was secure after my recent break in. Although the police were lovely about the whole thing, they had told me they were dropping the case as nothing was taken and the blood didn't match with anything in their system.

As thoughts of the break in and the USJ attack ran through my head I could feel my anxiety rising. I walked out of my apartment complex but as I rounded the corner I crashed into a firm chest falling slightly backwards only to be held up by a firm hand around my waist.

"This you falling for me Babybird?" Hawks said with a playful wink. He placed me back on my feet and straightened up with a smile. He was in his hero gear but I have never seen him around this area on my commute before.

"You wish but I think you showing up at my apartment may say something about you falling for me!" I grin back starting to walk with him towards the train station.

"Umm yeah about that .... haha. I heard about what happened at UA and I just wanted to make sure you were okay? ... And maybe walk you to the station?" He asked scratching the back of his head awkwardly, a faint blush painted across his face.

"Aww that's really sweet Hawks! Yeah I'd like that, plus I like that you said walk and not fly." I smiled looping my arm through his as we walked.

"Well we can always fly if you really want to?" He asked laughing as my eyes widened in panic. I felt slightly calmer after my first flight with Hawks but I'm not running late today and not willing to go sky high just yet.

"I'll take that as a no. Well have you figured out what our next date is going to be?" He smiled.

"Well, I'll ask you this... can you drive?" I watched his eyebrows furrow in confusion.