Chapter 41 - Family Reunion

Kimi's POV

Everything happened in a hazy blur. Smoke wafted in from the forest that now glowed with a familiar blue light that made my blood run cold.

Within seconds I found myself running towards the route the students would have been taking, the only thought in my mind being that I need to find Shoto.
The further I got into the wooded area the harder it was to see and soon the scent of smoke became overpowered by another smell, the noxious sulfuric scent of gas. Could this seriously get any worse?! I forced myself to create a force field around my head to block out the gas but this could only hold for so long, not only do I lack the skill to keep it going but I still need some form of air supply.

As I ran, looking around frantically I felt my feet catch on something and I face planted the dirty ground beneath me. Great, the woods are on fire, the air is poisonous, I can't find the kids and now I'm on the ground. The hot air biting at my skin was made all the worse by the scorched earth I now found myself lying on but at least the smoke was thinner and easier to see through from the ground.
Expecting my foot to be caught on something I looked down with a glare but saw nothing. What the hell? I'm clumsy but I definitely felt something trip me up.

I tapped my foot around tentatively only to hear a faint groan being released from what seemed to be thin air. I gasped slightly at the sound but then remembered the invisible girl in 1A and crawled over to where I presumed her body was. Did I seriously just kick an injured teenager?

"Hey sweetie it's okay, I've got you. You're Hagakure, right? We spoke in the baths yesterday." I said trying to work out what condition she was in even if I can't see her. Upon closer inspection I could see her t-shirt and shorts, though both were caked in mud and half hidden behind a fallen tree stump. I felt up from her neckline to where her face would be and created a force field to block any more gas reaching her lungs before I cautiously picked her up and made my way back to the main building. This is about more than Shoto, I'm terrified that he's out there but I have to make sure all these kids are safe, starting with Hagakure. As I made it to I building I was soon surrounded by a few of the students, including Kirishima and Iida who looked frantic upon seeing my disheveledform carrying their classmate.

"What's going on out there?! Is that Hagakure? Is she okay?!" The red head asked in a panicked voice as I placed the unconscious girl down on one of the tables.

"She'll be okay." I reassured him but purposefully didn't answer his first question as Vlad came over and tried to calm the students down whilst giving me room to work.

"There you go. I'm going to start healing you okay?" I say tentatively as I began to hover my glowing hands over her chest and where I presumed was her mouth, though it was difficult to tell. I had once joked with Recovery Girl about treating Hagakure and the sad and shameful irony or my passive comments was hitting me hard as I heard her weazing but couldn't see if she had opened her eyes or not.

"J-jiro" Hagakure's weak voice managed to croak out.

"You're okay. Don't move okay we don't know how much this gas has affected you but it doesn't seem to have done much damage." I said unsure where to look given I couldn't make eye contact.

"Jiro ... she... the gas... she was-" the poor girl tried to speak but was constantly breaking out into a series of coughing fits.

"Don't worry honey, I'll get her. Was she with you before you passed out?" I asked to which she replied with a frail 'yes'.

"I'll bring her here and make sure she's okay. If you need anything tell Vlad and he'll take care of it. Just rest okay?"

Without waiting for a reply I got to my feet and approached Vlad who had succeeded in calming down the anxious students.