Chapter 37 - Something to focus on

Kimi's POV

"Well that went well!" I laugh as Keigo and I touch back down in front of my apartment, leftovers from dinner (primarily chicken) resting securely in his hands.

"Yeah it did, I didn't think your dad would cry like that though!" He chuckles back as we enter my apartment putting the leftovers in the fridge and slumping down onto the couch.

"He said you looked like an angel! He doesn't even complement my mom like that! I think he's just happy I'm happy ... that and he may be a little scared of you because he hears you're the number three hero." I say petting his cheek lightly and feeling his blonde stubble scratch against the palm of my hand.

"Scared or not I'm pretty sure I've got his blessing, even got your mom's when she wasn't threatening to decapitated me!" He chuckled pulling me closer so his head rested in the crook of my neck, his breath hot against my collarbone sending shivers down my spine.

"Oww she went down the decapitation route? She must really like you I was expecting something much worse!" I joke feeling him laugh against my skin.

"Don't worry I'll protect you from my big angry mother!" I said scooting my arms around his waist as we both non-verbally agree to take a nap.

Dabi's POV

I sat sipping at the dry whiskey in my hand and staring up at the battered television of the bar. The place smelt like piss but it was better than being back at my apartment. The passed few weeks I have stayed inside staring at the same four walls and thinking of nothing but Kimi. The feel of her skin against mine, the smell of her hair, the fear in her eyes. It was all too much and had been slowly driving me mad.

The bar was as shady as they come. Villains and thugs making up the entirely of their clientele though I can't exactly judge them can I? I'm no better than they are, if anything I'm worse.
A thin layer of cigarette smoke masked the air of the bar, cutting through the stench of the patrons and sending the familiar burn through my throat and nose. God, I hate this world.

The television hummed in the background but grew louder as others demanded that the volume be turned up. An image of the Hero Killer Stain flashed across the screen, his face heavy with scars and anger seeming to mirror my own in recent years. I listened intently to his monologue, his ideology reflecting my own in many ways. For years I've felt so isolated in my views. I'm a villain but I'm not mindless. I don't hate heroes because they hate me. I hate them because they're hypocrites who are only motivated by money and power. In reality how is that any different than villainy? That pure selfish motivation that drives everything they do? The only difference between villians and heroes is we know what we are and we don't pretend to be anything else. This Stain guy gets that and by the sound of the murmers around me, others are starting to as well.

"He may have the face of a potato sack but he ain't wrong. Heard he was with the League of Villians before they finally arrested him." One patron muttered to another as they both continued to discuss the Hero Killer in hushed tones. I found myself leaving in slightly, my ear tilted towards them to hear more.

"Yeah, the League is really making a come back these days. Heard they're operating in a bar not too far from here but you wouldn't see me joining. They're too intense after that stunt they pulled at UA!"

"Know where this bar of theirs is?" I asked taking another sip of my whiskey and meeting their gaze for the first time. They were big guys, typical meat heads who couldn't really call themselves villains, more so thugs.

"I didn't think we were talking to you patchwork!" The one further away from me smirked. His face was littered in black tattoos that seemed to move like liquid threateningly across his cheeks and jaw, clearly a part of his quirk. His buddy that sat closer to me looked a little taken aback by the remark and shifted his gaze between us at an alarming rate.

"Huh, by the looks of things you don't really 'think' at all, do you inky?" I replied watching the whites of his eyes turn black in anger, the ink on his face spreading out in a chain like pattern over his neck and arms.

"What did you say?!" He hissed rising from his feet, his companion stuttering out for him to calm down as I smiled and rolled my neck slightly feeling a satisfying crack.

"Deaf too I see. I want to know where this bar that the League of villains is operating in." I said as he marched his way over to me and pulled a thick metal chain out from his forearm, black ink pooling where the chain met his flesh.

"How about you fu-" I didn't let him finish. Instead with a flick of my wrist I reduced him to ash and watched his friend shake with fear. Damn, I love this feeling. The bar went silent for only a moment before the usual background conversations started up again. This was a villain bar after all, this kind of thing happens all the time.

"So where is that bar again?" I asked the remaining man who had fallen off his bar stool and crouched down on the grim covered floor staring at his friend's ashen remains.

"I-I swear I don't know!" He stuttered out clearly terrified. Of course the asshole I killed had to be the one that knew where the bar was. I release a small sigh but glare down at the shaking man. He was smaller than the other guy, still big, but the lack of tattoos somehow made him look meek. His blonde undercut and heavily lined eyes made him look older than he actually was but the fear that etched across his face gave him a vulnerable childlike appearance.

"Well then you aren't of any use to me are you?" I smirk throwing the remaining whiskey from my glass in his face only to set him alight with a small blue spark. He howled like a wild animal before he joined his friend as a pile of ash on the bar floor. The bar once again was silent before the barman sighed and motioned me over, the usual murmer of voices growing once again.

"Look buddy, I don't want any trouble but you can't keep killing off my customers." He said lowly. He was an old man and a good one in comparison to the patrons of the bar. I couldn't help but feel sympathy for him for some reason and so I found myself throwing down a handful of notes and leaving the bar.

The cool night air hit my senses as soon as I opened the door, the street lamps and neon signs of the city lighting up the otherwise dark world. The sound of drunks and stray cats surrounded the street and the smell of rain hung in the air. Usually I longed for a night like this but now all I felt was restless.

"Quite the display in there!" A lanky dark being smirked stepping out from the shadows.

"You want to join them in the afterlife?" I growled, pulling out a cigarette and lighting it with the tip if my finger.

"Well, I don't know about the 'afterlife' but I certainly don't want to be ash anytime soon!" He grinned back lighting his own cigarette and stopping beside me.

"If you want to join the League all you had to do was ask." He said blowing out smoke into the cold night air and watching it dance and disappear.

"You're with the League of Villains?" I ask a little shocked. I only started to enquire about them and already I'd found an insider. There must be more villains in this world than I thought.
A part of me began to second guess myself. Is this really what I want? I want to move on from Kimi. I want to forget about all of it. I want to destroy this hero society from the very top. This is the best way.

"Not so much with the League ... more of a freelance recruiter!" He smiled sounding way too happy to be talking about the infamous League of Villians.

"In that case, sign me up Smokes." I say as he smirks back at me, his yellow stained teeth seeming to glow under the heavy neon lights.

"Right this way Sir. We have to pick up another recruit on the way but I'm sure they'll take you in with open arms." He grinned as we began walking through the streets and towards whatever the future had in store for me.