Chapter 12 - Don't go BREAK-IN my heart

Kimi's POV

My heart was still pounding out of my chest as my back rested against my closed apartment door. Hawks really is something else. That date went better than expected, even if it didn't end in a kiss goodnight (not that my ramen breath is complaining).

I took a deep breath to calm myself and froze in place. The lingering smell of smoke hung in the air. The only problem. I don't smoke. I grabbed an umbrella that sat in a stand beside my door and ventured further into my dark apartment.

I have seen my fair share of horror movies and I know that what I am doing is completely stupid. If you think someone is in your home you don't walk around in the dark trying to find them. You don't use an umbrella as a means of defending yourself. You also don't trip over your carpet and let out a loud unladylike string of curses, but that is exactly what I did.

"Urgh" I mumble rubbing my head and listening for any sign of movement. But the world around me was silent. Maybe I left the oven on or something? I move to the kitchen slightly more relaxed now that a serial killer didn't jump out upon hearing my loud cursing. Turning on the kitchen light, I was met with a perfectly kept kitchen, with the oven securely off. Where the hell is that smell coming from? Is the smell of smoke a sign of a health problem, or maybe a ghost or- No. I am not freaking myself out before I go to sleep.

"Guess not?" I muttered to myself beginning to check on the rest of the appartment to ensure that a deaf murderer was not lurking about my home. Part of me wanted to call Hawks back and get him to check the apartment, but a larger part of me didn't want to appear needy. It's times like these I wish I had a fighting quirk. The most I could do to an intruder was make sure he didn't hurt himself during the break in. I mean I could always create a force field to protect myself but only if he attacked my hands. Damn, this is exactly why I could never be a real hero.

After inspecting my apartment I finally checked my room, only to stop abruptly upon entering the room. The air was cold and my breath left my body in small wisps. My window was wide open and the translucent white curtains danced slightly in the faint breeze. I may have forgotten to lock my window but I most certainly didn't leave it open that wide. I cautiously walked to the window and closed it, looking out at the darkened street below. The same trees that lined the park parallel to my apartment, lined the street below the window, causing dark shadows to stretch out across the dimly lit road. If someone were standing amongst the tree line it would be impossible to see them from here. Yet they would be able to see me perfectly. The thought made me shiver and close my curtains somewhat too abruptly. No one is in my house, but that doesn't mean they weren't watching it. I made sure to lock all windows and doors, having taken another search through my house before finally going to sleep. The happy thoughts of my date with Hawks lost in a sea of worry that lingered with the scent of smoke.

*** Time Skip to morning ***

I woke up in a panic upon hearing my phone buzz and noticing that it was 9:25am. 'I am sooo late!' I mentally scream, running to the bathroom to get ready for work. Upon leaving my room however I was screeched at by Peanut.

"Oh hi, thanks for checking in ... I'm still a piece of garbage!" He screeched and I felt bad.

"Sorry baby! I know I ignored you but I'm late for work and it's ... the weekend ... I don't have work..." I trailed off as Peanut gave me a judgemental side eye.

I felt myself sink into my couch and release a heavy sigh before looking at my phone to see who had disturbed my sleep in the first place. Upon looking at my phone I let out a small squeak. It was Hawks!

Papa Bird 🐓
Morning Babybird! I was just thinking about last night. I had a great time. Hope you started ordering yourself some red wings! 😘