Chapter 8 - My baby boy is growing up

Kimiko's POV

Friday had finally come around and to say I'm nervous would be a serious understatement.

Fuyumi seemed more excited for this date than I was. She phoned me within 1 minute of reading my text, and then continued gushing for 2 hours. Fuyumi had been trying to get me to start dating again for years. It might seem weird that my ex's sister was eager to get my love life kicked off after her brother, but as she put it "watching you turn into a lonely withered spinster is just depressing".

She had given me breathing tips to help me calm down, helped me pick out an outfit and listed off possible talking points in case it got awkward. Having an overly organised elementary school teacher as a best friend has its perks.

I managed to make it to work in time (finally) but my distracted mind kept wandering back to Hawks and the many tips Fuyumi had given me.

"Well who is he?" Recovery Girl questioned as she sat down breaking me out of my day dream.

"Who is who?" I asked fluffing up the pillow from one of the medical beds.

"The boy who has you so distracted dear." She smiled. I hesitated, should I tell her? If it were just some random guy it wouldn't matter if I told her and it didn't work out. But this was Hawks. She was sure to know of him and this could make things awkward. Maybe I'm just overthinking things again?

"H-how did you know?" I sigh with defeat, whilst managing to swerve the question.

"You have been fluffing that pillow for the past half hour dear." She deadpaned. I immediately drop the pillow embarrassed that I had been caught.

"He's just some guy I met. We're going for dinner tonight." I mumble.

"That's wonderful Kimi! You just make sure he treats you right. If he doesn't then you tell me and I'll be right there with my cane." She grinned waving her syringe-like cane threateningly.

"I'll bare that in mind Chiyo." As she said that the doors to the infirmary burst open and in walked Amajiki, Togata and Nejire, more commonly known around UA as the "big three".

"Hey-o! I must have conjunctivitis because you're a sight for sore eyes!" Togata laughs brightly walking up to me and ruffling my hair. Amajiki follows behind him looking at the floor and shaking like a leaf, poor thing. Nejire however seemed to not hear Togata's corny joke and began to gush over Recovery Girl firing question after question about the syringes in her hair.

"Hey Togata, that joke was almost good... almost" I grinned whilst fixing my hair which now stuck up on the left side. I glanced over his shoulder and gave Amajiki a small smile to put him at ease.

"Hi Amajiki." His head quickly jumped up and he tried to mutter a small 'hello' but only managed to get out "hell", much to Togata's amusement.

"We just wanted to stop by to catch up before the weekend! Plus Amajiki wanted to see you!" Togata grinned brightly flashing me an exaggerated wink and patting Amajiki on the back affectionately.

Amajiki began to stutter and breathe heavier, eyeing the door to his right as though he were considering making a run for it.

"Aww that's sweet! I missed you too Amajiki, we haven't had a chance to hang out like we used to!" I said giving him a closed eyed smile. I couldn't help thinking back to all the times Amajiki and I spent in the infirmary just talking and trying to ease his social anxiety.

"Ye-yeah... I'll t-try to come round more often, then." He stuttered looking slightly happier, having spoke somewhat clearly.

"So any plans this evening Kimi? Cause Amajiki here was saying he wanted to hang out but Nejire and I are busy soooooo?" Togata smiled putting his arms around mine and Amajiki's shoulders and shifting us slightly closer together.

"Sorry kiddo! I'm having dinner with a friend tonight, maybe next time?" I laugh, the word 'friend' playing over in my mind. Come to think of it I really don't know how to think of Hawks just yet.

Amajiki looked ready to pass out and was staring at Togata like he just committed the ultimate act of betrayal.

"Aww no worries, you're a woman in demand! But we're booking your weekend at the end of this month right? Amajiki here is turning 19 then and we want to celebrate it with the people he cares about the most" Togata explained as his arms around us tightened slightly, whilst a scarlett blush exploded across Amajiki's face.

"Of course! I wouldn't miss it!" I smiled. I knew his birthday was coming up but knowing that this was the last time I would be able to celebrate it with him in UA made my heart hurt a little. 'My little boy is growing up so fast!', I internally scream.

"Kimi, I-" Amajiki was cut off my Nejire bouncing over to us and taking my hand in hers.

"Recovery Girl said if I don't stop asking questions she'll whack me with her cane! She wouldn't really do that right Kimi?" She animatedly asked.

"Haha yeah, she definitely would. I speak from past experience" I laughed watching Nejire giggle and wrap her arms around me in a tight hug.

"In that case I'm going to run" she smiled into the crook of my neck before practically skipping out the door.

"Guess that's our cue to leave" Togata chuckled pulling me into a loose hug and ruffling my hair again. I swear this kid is a giant, he makes me feel like I'm the student half the time.

As Togata released me and made his way to the door, waving over his shoulder Amajiki shifted his arms slightly before he started to turn to follow his friends. I smiled and pulled him into a gentle hug, his arms hesitating before folding around my waist. He has come so far from when I first met him. I've known him since his first year and helped him through a panic attack. Being only 3 years older than him helped him form a sisterly bond with me which I hope helps him through his anxiety. I was a pretty nervous kid growing up and I know how nerve wracking social situations can be. I just hope he knows he can rely on me.

"Look Amajiki" I said letting go of him and reaching for the pen and paper sitting on the desk beside us. I quickly jot down my number and hand it to him smiling.

"If you ever need me just call, okay? And I want to know all about this upcoming birthday!" I hand him my number and watched his eyes water slightly.

"Th-thank you Kimi. I will" he stuttered blushing and offering me a small smile before rushing off to join his friends. As the door closed the distant jovial cheer of Togata could be heard as he offered his congratulations to Amajiki. Aww his friends are so supportive and helping him come out of his shell.

"Don't give the poor child false hope Kimi" Recovery Girl smiled sadly as she shook her head looking and the door Amajiki had just left from.

"What do you mean? I'm just helping him overcome his shyness. I'm an only child but if I ever had a little brother it would be Amajiki. He's a sweet kid and he's going to be a great hero one day." I smiled.

"For someone so smart you can be so oblivious you know that?" Recovery Girl sighed as she began packing up. The bell rang signalling the end of the school day and I began to collect my things as well, my mind once again falling back into thinking about my soon to be date with Hawks.

Watching Amajiki face his fears and pursue his dreams despite his anxiety inspired me. If he can push on and do things that scare him so can I.
I'm going to go on this date and I am going to have fun.