Chapter 68 - A bond with the devil

Kimi's POV

The days passed quickly but the monotonous cycle of wake up, get experimented on, talk to Eri and repeat was starting to get to me. Overhaul and his companions seemed unaware of my force field quirk and I had been brainstorming how to use this to aid our escape but having a solely offensive quirk wasn't all that helpful in this situation. It also didn't help that we were now under constant surveillance from Overhaul's men.

"Kimi when I'm big do you think I can go to UA? And be like Deku?" Eri asked me as we lay in the creaky bed. It was the morning, though only noticable by the faint glow of artificial lights outside the door, and we had not been met with any of the Yakuza members just yet. My eyes stung from lack of sleep, my mind consumed with thoughts of escape yet they all lead to nothing.

"Of course, would you like to be a hero?" I asked covering my yawn with a lazy hand.

"I think so. He was nice and I want to be nice too." She said with a small thoughtful nod.

"Okay kid, time for breakfast. Kimi here will join you later, Overhaul needs another blood sample from her." One of the Yakuza said as he marched into the room without any warning. I felt Eri tense in my arms, her hands gripping at my sleeve tighter. She had become much more fearful of our separation following the failed break out plan and so I had to try and convince her to release my arm.

"It'll be okay Eri. It's just a needle. I'll be with you in a few minutes, save me some toast yeah?" I smile reassuringly at her, feeling her grip loosen slightly at my words. Thankfully Overhaul hadn't requested Eri to be experimented on since she returned and I 'kept' my end of the bargain. But I'm not an idiot, he wouldn't keep her around if he didn't plan on using her. No, he still needs her quirk, he's just focusing his efforts on understanding mine to speed up the process.

"Hey beak boy, you called?" I asked sarcastically as I casually walked into the room and took a seat on the chair to the left of the doctor, Overhaul standing at a distance from us observing the scene before him.

"I'm glad you feel more at ease here but the nicknames are not appreciated." He said bitterly.

"We just need some more blood samples, shouldn't take long, we just wanted to get them before you have eaten." The doctor said pleasantly. She was a short woman, no more than 5'1, and had a short black bob haircut, her bangs cutting across her forehead sharply. I had grown accustomed to the various doctors here but they seemed to change every so often, the original doctor from my first day no longer appeared to work here.

"So I never really asked before but I'm curious, why do you want to get rid of quirks?" I asked feeling the doctor tense at my words but Overhaul didn't seem fazed at all.

"Quirks represent everything wrong with this world. They fester and spread like a virus. Some describe the quirk gene as evolution but I see it for what it really is ... a mutation. And your quirk just validates this philosophy. You have a healing quirk. A power created to purify and correct. Yet it has the ability to remove quirks altogether. It proves that quirks are a sickness. A sickness that needs eradicating." He ranted as the doctor looks away from us both awkwardly. She had taken the necessary blood samples from me but I couldn't help but stare blankly at Overhaul.

"Isn't that a little hypocritical though? I mean, no offense, but you're a complete germaphob and you think quirks are an illness. Wouldn't you just want to remove your own quirk and be done with it?" I asked as the doctor scurried out of the room.

"I don't just wish to heal myself I wish to cleanse the world. A world without quirks, could you imagine it?" He said in an almost dreamy voice. I had been expecting his anger but this was just strange.