FIFTEEN

I'm tired of thinking about Dabi all the time.

Groaning to myself, I walked out of the clothing store I was just in. Everything reminded me of him.

Black clothes. Tall men. Men with black hair. People wearing ugly boots. Cigarettes.

I couldn't escape this man. He was stuck in my brain.

It had been a couple days since our date(?) at the park and I hadn't heard from him since. I called him once and texted him twice but no reply. Very like him to ignore me after a conversation like that.

Hanging the shopping bag on my elbow, I made my way through the mall. It was busy today. Kids must have been on summer break.

I looked down into my bag and the pit of my stomach tightened.

I am so stupid.

The burgundy lingerie was folded up nicely, the receipt on top. It was an impulsive buy, all I originally went into the store for was a new bra because mine was worn out.

I don't want my world to revolve around him.

As I was about to look up from the bag, my foot suddenly got caught and I felt myself begin to topple forward.

"Ahh!"

Before my face planted with the ground, an arm wrapped around my waist and brought me back up.

I had to take a second to catch my breath, the fall making my adrenaline shoot through my body. I turned to the person who stopped me from hurting myself. He wore a dark blue suit with some sort of utility belt.

It was either a hero on duty or a janitor.

"Are you okay miss?" He asked in a quiet voice.

I slid my bag back on my elbow and nodded, "Yeah, thanks to you."

I noticed the stranger's hair was half white and half red, a very interesting combination. He was quite handsome.

I also noticed his hand was still around my waist.

Both of us looked down and he immediately let go. But he didn't seem embarrassed.

"That was my fault, you tripped over my boot. I was monitoring the mall and I wasn't paying attention to who was right next to me." He apologized.

Shaking my head I smiled guilty, "No, no. I wasn't looking where I was going. Heroes patrol here at the mall?"

"Yes. There has been a rise in crime lately. I also injured myself, so they assigned me to do some simpler work. But I don't..."

As he spoke I admired his face. Not in a I-want-to-date-you kind of way, but just appreciated it. This hero had a scar on his left eye. One gray eye, one blue.

I crinkled my brows.

"...it's important to be vigilant in all areas—"

"—I'm sorry to interrupt but have we met before?" I blurted.

The hero scratched the top of his head, "Uhm I don't know ma'am. I see a lot of people every day. Maybe you've seen me on TV?"

I nodded, feeling a bit embarrassed.

He's a handsome hero, he probably has fangirls all over him regularly. I hope he didn't think I was trying to hit on him or something.

"You're probably right. My bad." We both sat in a short lived silence, "Well I better get going now, thanks again!"

He gave a quick wave as a goodbye before I headed off in the other direction.

I wonder if the rise in crime has to do with the League of Villains.

Not wanting to think about it too much, I shook away the thoughts and headed to the next store.

"Okay Kenma tell me, cereal for dinner orrr cereal for dinner?" I bent over and slapped my hands on my knees, asking my kitty in an excited voice.

The black cat rubbed his head against my bare shin. Once again it was too hot for pants so I was in my favorite athletic shorts.

"Good choice. I agree."

Walking over to my blue tooth speaker I turned it on and began playing Harry Styles' latest album while I 'made' my dinner.

"She lives in daydreams with me..." I sang into my metal spoon, spinning in the kitchen.

Suki heard all the commotion and ran to join me. I put down the utensil and patted my chest, inviting her to hop up and dance with me.

Awkwardly standing on two legs, we stepped back and forth as I sang along to the lyrics. I fell into a fit of laughter as Suki began licking at my chin, just as happy as I was.

"Ah, stop it! Your breath stinks." I exclaimed, putting her back down.

I took a wet paper towel and wiped away her slobber. Going back to my original mission, I walked over to the cupboard to pick out a box of cereal. I settled on Lucky Charms, one that I hadn't had in awhile.

When I picked it up, I noticed it was very light. I opened it up and it was practically empty.

"Did that motherfucker eat all my Lucky Charms when he was staying here and put the empty box back in the cupboard?" I huffed.

Annoyed, I went to grab my second choice.

KNOCK! KNOCK!

The aggressive pounding made me jump. I quickly went to turn off my music.

KNOCK! KNOCK!

I felt a small panic in my chest. If it was Dabi he would've called or been less aggressive. I wasn't sure who was at my door.

I hurried over to it and looked through the peep hole.

"Oh my god."

Swinging open the door as fast as I could, my eyes went wide.

There Dabi was, leaning over and out of breath. The staples from the side of his jaw undone, blood pouring down his face.

"Hey," he smiled, immediately wincing, "Can I come in?"

— — —

Author's Note:
I know a lot of Dabi fics portray him as really toxic and a little mean and tbh he'd probably be that way cannonly, but in this story I don't want him to be toxic.

I'll still make it sound like him but he will be a little "more caring" than usual.

+

All characters are aged up in my stories so Shoto and any other characters that may be mentioned are pro heroes now.