FORTY THREE

It had been six days since Dabi left.

"Few days, my ass."

My heart was a little sad. I was hoping by now he would have texted me like he promised he would start doing, but of course: nothing.

I guess I'll have to teach him a lesson again.

I giggled to myself and scrolled through Netflix, not really wanting to watch anything but not wanting to go out either. I had already gotten ready to go meet with some work friends but I cancelled on them last minute, too ashamed over the fact that I wasn't showing up at the hospital anymore.

I finally landed on something that caught my attention. Some show about a boy who finds this journal that can kill people.

Leaning back, I let myself zone into the show.

A couple hours must've gone by because I didn't even realize how much I had binged when I was snapped out of my trance.

My sweet kitty Kenma had crawled on to my lap, pawing at my thighs. I pet down his silky black coat and smiled at him.

"You're my best boy aren't you?" I pressed a kiss to the top of his head.

I felt my stomach grumble but I was a little too lazy to get up and get something to eat.

I think I have some strawberry mochi left from Dabi bringing me some awhile back.

The temptation took over and I gently pushed Kenma off, giving his head a scratch after, "Sorry, your mom is hungry."

After grabbing the sweet food, I leaned against the kitchen counter and stared into space.

I wonder what Dabi is doing right now. Is he safe?

I shook away the thoughts, knowing they'd only lead me down a spiral.

"Maybe I should've gone out. Distract me until he comes back." I sighed, taking another bite.

From the other room on my couch, I heard my phone start to vibrate.

For a split second I almost sprinted to it, hoping it was Dabi. But then I remembered I changed the tone of his number, so I would know when it was actually him.

Whoever it was could wait. I was hungry.

Suki walked into the kitchen and sat in front of me, looking a little more antsy than usual. I scratched behind her ear and grabbed a treat bag off the counter.

"Want a treat my lovely?" I cooed, and tossed one up in the air for her to catch.

It just fell to the ground, she didn't try to catch it, but when it fell to the floor she ate it.

Why is she acting weird?

"Are you okay, girl?"

My phone began ringing again. I looked over towards the couch. If someone calls you more than once it's usually important. I walked back over to the couch and looked at the contact.

Shoto

Confused and a little nervous, I picked up on the last ring.

"Hello?"

"Hey, ____. Are you okay?" He answered, sounding concerned.

I sat down on my sofa, realizing something felt really off.

"Yeah? Why? What's going on?"

There was silence on the phone for a moment, "I figured it was a possibility you didn't know..."

My heart began to race and my grip on my phone tightened.

"Shoto tell me what happened."

Suddenly his voice got much quieter, "I'm really not supposed to be telling you this, but—"

My head got dizzy as I tried to process his words. I worried about a lot of things but I never really worried about this becoming a possibility.

"I'm sorry can you, uh, can you say that again?" I stuttered.

"Touya got arrested four days ago."

I leaned over and grasped on to the coffee table, trying to keep my composure.

Dabi could never get caught? He said he never would. He wouldn't go to jail. He wouldn't go to prison.

My thoughts flew through my head like wildfire. Shoto stayed silent on the other end of the phone while I tried to accept this information.

Eventually he spoke up again, "I called you today because his sentencing is this afternoon. His jury trial was two days ago and he was declared guilty for multiple crimes. Now he will be down at the courthouse and they will sentence him for his crimes."

I abruptly stood up, "They're doing it this fast?"

"Yeah. Because he is such a wanted criminal and after what he did the other day, they want justice. This is common with big villains." Shoto mumbled, probably still processing the fact that his brother was one.

"Oh my god," I felt bile rise to my throat, "What did he do? What will they sentence him to? How many years? He can get out of this somehow right? There's always a chance?" I rambled, terrified.

"You don't want to know what he did. But I don't think there's any way of getting out of this one ____." There was a long, long, pause, "Touya is up for the death penalty."

"WHAT?!" I screamed, toppling down to my knees.

I heard sounds on his side of the line, "I have to go, but you can go down to the courthouse and sit in the stands while his case is determined. It's in two hours."

I stood back up with weak knees, rushing around to grab the things I need to go see Dabi at his sentencing.

"____?" Shoto said in an odd tone.

"Yes?"

"Please save my brother."