FORTY

It took me about five days, and a lot of Dabi going back and forth.

I had to go to Shoto's agency multiple times after work and ask to meet with him. I was constantly turned down, just thought of as a sex crazed fan.

It wasn't until the third day that I went that he was leaving the building and we ran into each other. The security was going to kick me out but Shoto insisted I was alright and not a threat.

It was late in the evening and I asked him out to coffee, told him I wanted to talk to him about something. He easily agreed.

I must admit it took me awhile to bring up the topic, not even knowing a fraction of how complicated it was. But towards the last few drops in my cup, I finally found the courage.

The way his face drained of color.

"Touya is... still alive?"

My eyes widened, mouth opened but no sound coming out. I figured he knew that much.

Doesn't he see him on the news?

I coughed, "Yeah. You didn't know?"

It was like I threw a spear threw his chest, his palms flat on the table while he tried to compose himself and process this information.

Six years, Dabi told me. Six years since he left.

I wonder how long Shoto thought his big brother was dead.

"No. I-I had no idea. I always thought he would come home one day. And my father made it sound like he would never make it on his own... So I thought..."

My heart felt heavy. The more I heard about these men's father the more hatred I felt. I reached across the table and put my hand on his.

"Dab-I mean Touya, would really like to meet with you. Would you be okay with that?"

He was clearly lost in thought, us sitting in silence for awhile, but his eyes finally lit up, "Yeah. I would like that." He reached down into his pocket, "Let me give you my number and we can plan something."

We swapped numbers and began standing up, but I gently touched his shoulder, "Shoto?"

"Yes?"

"Touya asked me to ask you not to tell Endeavor or anyone else about this. It's just between you two. Please."

He nodded, his peppermint hair falling in his face, "Of course."

Today was the day. Dabi and I sat parked in his car in front of the park with the bench, staring forward at nothing while he worked up the courage.

Of course he didn't show any signs of obvious nerves, but I knew he was. He was stiff. Quiet. Kept tightening and loosening his grip on the steering wheel.

I let us sit in silence, let him swim in whatever sea of thoughts he needed to. If he wanted to talk, I'd be here.

My phone buzzed.

Shoto: Hey. Here at the bench.

I looked over at him, his eyes now closed. Knowing exactly what I was about to say.