THIRTY SIX

It was the hottest time of the year.

August was the warmest month here plus the humidity made the air much thicker. My sweat made my skin stick to my clothes.

But I wanted to get out. I needed to in fact. I needed a recharge for my quirk and I was tired of sitting on my balcony.

Since it was so hot, Dabi couldn't wear his normal disguise of a mask and hoodie, so he stayed at my apartment with my pets.

I told him it'd be good practice to bond with Kenma. I wasn't sure how that was going.

Today I decided to go back to that park Dabi had taken me to a couple months ago that one night. The cute little one with the pond where we stared up at the stars.

It was just as pretty during the day. The trees bright green and tall grass surrounding the paths around the water. There were little kids playing off in a field close by and couples walking around with their babies in strollers. I was looking forward to people watching.

I found myself headed towards the same bench Dabi took me to. Luckily it was empty.

I sat with my neck arched back, letting the sun rays soak into my skin. The sound of laughter and ripples of water from birds swimming around filled my ears.

I wish Dabi could enjoy this with me freely.

My hip vibrated. I quickly took it out and read the message.

D: It's not working. He hates me. I am not allowed to sit on the couch while you're gone.

I giggled and responded right away.

Me: Go into the kitchen and above the fridge there are some cat treats. Try giving him one of those.

D: Ok.

I put my phone in my lap and looked around. The sun beating on me was making the heat even worse. I was glad I chose to wear shorts like usual.

D: Still doesn't like me but I threw the treat at the opposite side of the room so now I can sit on the couch.

Rolling my eyes, I imagined how that went down. I had no idea why Kenma didn't like Dabi so much, but Suki adored him. So I wasn't too concerned.

Me: Lol just try not to fight my cat while I'm gone okay?

D: As long as he doesn't start it.

I laughed again and began typing up a response when I felt a shadow cover up the warm rays of light that had been recharging me. I looked up and was surprised.

Closing my phone I smiled, a bit confused, "Oh, hey?"

The man gave a straight line smile and rocked back and forth on his feet, "Hey. Sorry to bother you, aren't you that girl that I accidentally tripped at the mall?"

The familiar half and half hair blew slightly in the wind as he looked down at me. He looked much different from last time. I assumed it was because he wasn't wearing his hero uniform, but his hair and face was unforgettable.

I rubbed the back of my neck a bit embarrassed, "Oh yeah, that was me."

"I still feel bad about that, I'm glad you're okay."

"Oh, no worries!" I reassured, looking around I was a bit confused as to why he approached me, "So..."

His eyebrows raised a little, slight emotion showing on his face, "Right. I probably look strange just standing here. It's a habit for me to come to this bench. I've been coming here since I was little and I always sit here." He said softly and somewhat monotone, "Of course there's nothing I can do if someone else is here, but I thought I recognized you."