THIRTY ONE

I watched the trees and cars pass us by as we drove down the highway, but I could feel his eyes constantly glancing over at me.

"My friend Toga should be over there any minute fixing the situation so we don't get caught and he gets locked up." Dabi reassured.

I held the cat crate close to my chest, balancing it on my lap the best I could so Kenma wasn't too uncomfortable.

"Okay."

Suki was in the back, laying on the floor of the car nervously. She didn't like car rides.

"Uhm, is your throat okay? Why haven't you healed it yet?" Dabi asked, guilt laced in his voice.

My fingers went up to touch the thin skin around my neck. Still in shock from everything that had just happened, I couldn't really feel the pain that was probably all over my body from fighting that man.

"Because it took a lot out of me to fight him, it's dark outside, and mostly because I had to heal Suki's broken rib." I looked back at her, "Bones take a lot."

I sighed and looked down at my bruised wrists, "My body will heal itself faster than the average person though, even without sunlight. So by tomorrow morning they all should be gone."

"Oh alright.. I'll get someone to get your door fixed by the way." He stated.

"Okay."

The turn signal clicking was the only sound in the car, uncomfortable silence suffocating us. For different reasons.

I'm sure he was filled with guilt. He had been checking on me constantly the past fifteen minutes. Worry clear in his voice. He didn't want me involved with this stuff.

I was feeling off, not so much because of what happened, but more because I was scared he was going to do something stupid. I was scared he was going to leave again. This time for good.

"Get off on this next exit right?" Dabi asked.

"Yeah." I mumbled quietly, back to looking out the window.

I heard him sigh. His hand brushed on my knee but then I felt him pull it away.

"_____, are you mad that I got you involved with this? I'm sure you're still terrified over—"

I swiveled my head over towards him angrily, "—Will you stop saying that?!"

He looked at me wide eyed, then focused back on the road, letting me continue.

"For the hundredth time, I told you I can make my own choices. Clearly I'm willing to follow you into whatever this life is." I tried to take a deep breath, not wanting to scare Kenma, "The only thing I'm terrified of is losing you Dabi."

His grip loosened on the steering wheel, "Why would you think you're losing me?"

"I'm not stupid. I heard what you said back at my apartment, 'I shouldn't have fucking gotten you involved in this life'." I put my hand on his arm, "I know you had to save me today, but please don't leave me just to protect me."

My voice almost sounded like I was begging. I was so in deep with this man. All my morals thrown out the window. I just wanted to be with him, that's all I cared about.

He glanced over and me and locked eyes with mine, "Okay baby, I'm not going anywhere."

I squeezed his arm tighter, "Promise me."

Dabi swiftly leaned over and kissed my forehead, "I promise I'll stay with you."