TWENTY ONE

"Holy fuck, Dabi, I'm so sorr—"

"—I really don't want to hear it right now." He stated in a surprisingly calm voice, his eyes never leaving the rear view mirror as he watched the cop car trail us.

All my thoughts were fuzzy and my eyes were blurring from tears. This situation was fucked.

"I-I need to pull over." I fumbled over my words, my panic setting in worse.

"Then pull over."

His words hit me like knives. Tears began streaming down my face as I watched him lifelessly watch behind us.

He can't just accept this.

"But I can't! You'll get taken away." I sobbed, grabbing on to the arm of his hoodie.

Dabi took a deep breath and finally looked at me, "____, you need to pull off to the side or things will look more suspicious. And you need to pull yourself together." His eyes flickered back up to the cop car, "I'll handle this."

I nodded and wiped my eyes, not wanting to make this anymore of a problem for him than it already was. I slowly switched over to the next lane, letting the police behind me know I was getting off.

I froze.

'I'll handle this.'

"Wait what do you mean you'll handle it?" I glanced over at him and noticed him pulling his sleeves up.

"I'm not going to prison, ____." He replied bluntly, his voice the same calm it had been since we saw the flashing red lights.

I pulled over to the next lane, almost to the area where we had to park.

"NO. You can't do that!" I exclaimed.

"Well, you didn't give me much of a choice now did you?" His eyes looked at me like daggers, now the anger was coming through.

Finally I pulled over and the cop car parked a few yards behind us. They stayed in their car for a minute, probably putting the license in the system.

I could see Dabi's hands getting red from the heat coming up. He was serious.

Was he going to kill him? What would happen after that? I would have to be the one to drive off. Where would we go?

My mind raced a million miles a minute. I had to think. I had to fix this. This was my fault.

I jolted up.

"Put your mask on." I demanded, keeping my eye on the cop to make sure they hadn't come out yet.

"What? Why? Let me just do it—"

"Dabi put your fucking mask on." I snapped, "I have a plan. But you need to cover your face."

He looked at me straight faced, "No. I don't trust your judgment right now."

I watched him as he began to unbuckle. I couldn't watch him throw his life away. This plan could easily fail. I also really didn't want to see him possibly murder someone.

"Then you'll have to forgive me for doing this without your permission." I sighed.

Dabi looked up at me confused. Before he could react, my palm was on his chest and I started up my quirk, sucking the energy away from him.

His hand went up to grab mine to move it, but it quickly dropped, too weak to push it away. Dabi slumped in his seat, his eyes now closed. His breathing slowed.

I had to take enough away from him that he couldn't fight. But he was still alive and well. Just probably felt like shit.

I, on the other hand, was now overcharged and could think completely clearly. As if I had just had three coffees and had a full nights rest.