CHAPTER 4: SYDNEY'S 1ST POLICE PRECINCT

Sydney joined the police department in Dallas, a year before Tom. She was assigned to the 37th  district. She graduated the academy with top honors, and while she was at the academy, there were some officers, who had wanted to date her, but she told them no. They got all mad about it, and two of those officers, ended up at her precinct, so they kind of had an axe to grind.  She was so excited about her first job, and bought a new Corvette.  But quickly found out that her job was going to be very tough, because none of the cops in her precinct, except her Captain, respected her. They were all rude, made vulgar, sexual comments, and treated her disrespectfully, saying remarks like women should be home making babies, and cooking, and waiting on their man hand and foot, that women didn't belong in the police department. The cops in her precinct made her life miserable. Then she was assigned a new partner, he was an officer, who had been on a special assignment, but was back to that unit. HIs name was Dante. When he saw her crying one day, he asked her to tell him why, she didn't want to, for fear of retaliation, so he asked his wife Leslie, to talk to her. Leslie invited Sydney to lunch, and the mall with Dante and Leslie's 2 kids, and so she asked her. She told her how they talked and treated her. Leslie was furious, so she told Dante. Dante took care of it, all the guys were scared of Dante, they knew he had a temper, and he was the toughest one in the unit. Dante told them Sydney was his partner, and they had better treat her with respect.  Dante and Sydney had a great partnership, and Leslie and Sydney became close friends, and Sydney adored their kids. Sydney babysat for them, whenever they needed.  Leslie felt like Sydney was lonely, and wanted to try and set her up, first with Leslie's brother, then with a friend of Dante's. But each time, it just didn't work.  Sydney felt pressured, and truth was she still loved Tom. Even though she hoped she would never see Tom again, because she also hated him for what he did. 

While Dante kept her from being talked down to, the guys still didn't like her, and she still had struggles. She looked so young, like she was 16, instead of 21. Her department was working on a huge case.  The DeMarco family. They owned an Italian restaurant, and a nightclub, for it was a front for illegal activity, drugs, sex trafficking. There were some murders and rapes, and the police knew that the DeMarco's were behind it, even had some witnesses, but the witnesses ended up leaving town, or forgetting their story or changing it. DeMarco's had gotten to them. They were following Tony DeMarco for 6 months. It was Dante and Leslie's anniversary, but Dante's mom was in town, and was staying with them, so she had the kids. Sydney got a tip that Tony DeMarco would actually be at the Underground, which was a shady nightclub. She didn't want to interrupt Dante, so she decided to go on her own. She decided she would call for back up if she needed it. 

She dressed up and ended up catching the eye of Tony DeMarco, he hit on Sydney asked if he could buy her a drink. Tony was actually the main suspect in the rape and murder of a young girl and her boyfriend. Tony flirted with Sydney, which made her sick to her stomach, but she went a long with it. She turned on the waterworks, and gave him a sob story, about her boyfriend walking out on her at their wedding, for another woman, and how she hated that woman for seducing her man. Tony said baby you give me what I want tonight and make it good, and your wish is my command, I can take care of that bitch and your ex. She said take care of  as in what. Tony said as in taking them out. Like murdering them.  She said you can do that for me, I would be forever grateful. He said honey it's done  She asked him how he would do it. He said however she wanted, he could make it look like an accident, or he could torture them, he bragged about his last murders how he tortured them.  She had got it all on tape on her phone.  She decided to call for backup, so she went to the bathroom, and called the dispatcher and also her station.  Both ignored her and never sent anyone.  She kept looking and was getting worried cause Tony was wanting to leave with her, so she decided she would have to arrest him herself.

Before she could do it, two cops stepped in. She thought maybe they sent a different unit as her backup. They said you are under arrest ma'am.  She was shocked. Sydney said what. Tony left and went out the door.  She said you idiots, you freaking idiots, he is getting away. They read her her rights. She said this can't be happening, what are the charges you freaking fools. They said underage minor in an establishment 21 and over, underage drinking, prostitution. She laughed in their face, and said prostitution, You are idiots. Do you have any idea what you just screwed up?  They handcuffed her and led her away.  They put her in back seat.  She said I am a police officer with the 37th precinct. I was about to bust Tony DeMarco you clowns. You just screwed up a 6 month case.  I had him. He admitted raping and murdering and even said he would kill someone for me. You freaking idiots. Damn you.  They said we are going to add illegal narcotics, cause you are definitely on something. There is no way you are a police officer, you look like you are 15.  Sydney said I am 21, you morons. Call my Captain, call my partner. Dante Perilli.  The one cop whispered to the other and said hey maybe she is telling the truth, we let her go. I mean how would she know about DeMarco, and Officer Perilli.  

They hauled Sydney in, and she was pitching a feet. The Captain came out, and said what is the problem? They told him and she said your freaking clown cops just let Tony DeMarco go. I am an officer at 37th precinct. I was on assignment for 6 freaking months, I had him, I swear I had him. They said no you have a fake idea, and you are not 21. Where is your badge, your gun, your shield, your police car? Sydney said I was undercover. I didn't want DeMarco to figure it out, so I left it all at home. If he looked thru my purse and found my badge, gun, shield, what do you think he would do. Call my Captain Stubing, Call Dante Pirelli, he is my partner. Actually I get one phone call, and you better leave cause Dante is going to be furious.

Sydney called Dante. She said Dante I am so sorry to interrupt.  He said it's ok what's up? Sydney said I am in jail. He said what. Sydney said I was arrested for illegal entry into a club over 21, underage drinking, and oh get this prostitution. He said are you freaking kidding me where did you go?  Sydney said The Underground. I followed Tony DeMarco. He said you what, Sydney what the hell is wrong with you. You can't just go in there alone, like that. She said I know, but Dante I got him, He admitted what he did, I got it on my phone, but before I could arrest him, these 2 idiot clown officers from 259 precinct arrested me. I tried telling them, but they don't think I am over 15.  He said I will be right there and I will call Captain.  Did they hurt you?  Sydney said no.  Dante rushes down. He blows his top, cusses out the officers. Sydney's captain called the precinct, and he told them I was 21 and a police officer.  Dante took Sydney home, and let her have it, for not telling him, and going alone, she told him that she had called for backup, but that no one came.

The next day at work Sydney's captain lit into her, said first off I am glad that you are safe, but you broke all the rules, you went in a dangerous situation alone, and could have been raped, kidnapped, tortured, killed, and your partner had no idea. That is not how we work. Secondly this is your fault. You should know better. Even with that evidence we can't use it. You can't record him, without a search warrant. If you would have let me know ahead of time, I could have got that for you. Sydney was crying and saying I know I messed up I am so sorry.

Sydney's Captain  said Sydney this is just not working out here. This is the wrong precinct for you. You are a great officer, brilliant, but you look like you are 15. Even when you try to bust someone, they don't believe you are a cop, and tease and harass you about your age. The guys resent you, and while they are wrong, I can't get rid of all my crew to keep 1 officer. I am sorry. Sydney said I know, you're right, everyone but Dante and you hate me here, and I messed up. She started to turn in her badge, shield, gun. He said wait Sydney. I want you to stay an officer, you are too good for the department to lose. Sydney said I don't understand. He said there is a friend of mine. Captain Richard Jenko, he runs a top secret undercover police station in an old abandoned chapel, called Jump Street. It is the Mayor's baby, started up last year, with cops who all are like yourself, new to the job, and young looking, so young that they can pass for high school students. They go undercover in high schools around the metroplex, and they feel that if they can stop bad behavior when they are young, they can help rehabilitate the offender, and maybe get them on the straight and narrow, before they become repeat violent offenders. But they have serious cases.  Murder, rapes drug deals, theft, violence.

Sydney said oh I don't think so. I mean I um high school was a nightmare for me, I don't think I could do it again. Even pretend. He said ok well at least take his card, and maybe go talk to him. At least hear him out. Because I believe you could help these kids, these bullied victims,. I said oh well I didn't think of that. I would like to help any student girl or boy who is being bullied or feels like their life doesn't matter. I will think it over.