CHAPTER 21: BLINDSIDED

Tom and Doug met with the boys in the bathroom, made another buy.  Doug left, Tom went to the library to meet with Diane.  He walked up to her.  Diane said "I thought maybe you weren't coming."  Tom said "no my meeting ran late. Why did you need to talk to me?"  Diane said "I heard that you did time for murder."  Tom said "yes."  Diane said "I was wondering if I could hire you."  Tom said "what?"  Diane said "I have $ 1700.00 saved up, would that be enough, I can try to get more, please say you will do it."  Tom couldn't believe what he was hearing." Tom said "just so I'm sure, what are you asking me to do?"  She said "murder someone." Tom stared at her.  He was caught off guard, didn't know what to say.  Diane said "Tom you are my only chance, please say you will do it, please."  Tom said "who you want me to kill?" She said my father"  Tom was floored. He said "what do you got against your old man?"  Diane said 'look will you do it, you are my only option. I don't have anyone else. I thought since you have killed before, and I saw you fighting. Please."  Tom said "what is his name?"  She said "Clarence Nelson, I can tell you his routine, where he will be."  Tom said "No, look I don't kill for hire, I got to go."  Diane hurriedly left.

Sydney made dinner, She went and changed into her dress, and sat down to wait for Tom. Tom sat there for a few minutes in his car.  He said to himself, what do I do. Why would she want her father killed. I need to find out more about her dad.  He drove to Jump Street to get on the computer, but he saw Fuller was still there.  He said I can't tell Fuller yet. What do I do.  He thought of his friend, from his old department, the guy who came from Miami Beach. Joe.  He called him. He said "hey Joe you working tonight."  Joe said "yeah tonight then I am off for a couple weeks."  Tom said "I need a huge favor. I need in to look at the computers. Something came up on a case I am on, and I need to see if this guy has any priors or charges"  Joe said "you're not supposed to be in on our system."  Tom said "I know, look I'll buy your beer, next bowling night. Please I have no other choice. I can't look at Jump Street cause my boss is there. This has to be a secret right now."  Joe said "ok come on, but Riley and Harris and a few other's are here, so you will have to wait until they all leave."  He said "ok thanks I appreciate this."

Tom called Sydney.  He said "hey Sydney something came up I will be late."  Sydney said "are you still with Diane?"  Tom said "no that only lasted a few minutes, she left. I am headed to talk to Joe, at my old precinct."  Sydney said "ok how late will you be?"  Tom said "not that late."  Sydney said "ok see ya later."  Tom said "by."  

At 7:00 Sydney decided to call Tom's precinct, to see if he was there.  She looked up the number. The guy answered, Sydney said "I'm looking for Officer Tom Hanson, I'm from the Jump Street Unit, he mentioned we might find him there."  The guy said  "yeah Hanson is here, he is in with Joe Baker, hold on I can page him."  Sydney relieved that he was actually there, said "did Hanson come with anyone?"  He said "nope, just showed up and Joe took him in the office."  Sydney said "thanks don't bother them.  I can ask one of the other officer's at the chapel. Don't mention I called. Since the matter will be taken care of."  He said "ok lady."

Sydney was hurt that he was this late.  She said maybe this is a sign, that I'm not supposed to tell him.  Please hurry home Tom, before I lose my nerve. Something came up, and I mean maybe Joe asked him there.  at 8:00 pm Sydney put the food in Tom's fridge.  She washed the bowls that she used.  At 9:00 still no call from Tom, so she got her bag and turned off the lights and left.  She was trying not to cry as she was driving. She took her dress off, and put the clothes that she had on at work on.  She went and got a blanket and laid on the couch. She was crying. Sydney said this is my own fault. Dammit how could i be so stupid. I knew from the day Tom came to Jump Street that there was no way we could ever be together. This is fate showing me that I should have stuck to my plan of not ever telling him or being with him. This happened so that I didn't tell him, then see how horrified and disgusted and repulsed he was, then I would have to quit.