CHAPTER 17: JENKO'S DEATH

Sydney was asleep in her hospital bed. Tom was asleep next to her. Sydney moaned a little, as  she tried to move from her back to her side, but pain shot thru her, she suffered a broken rib being trampled. Tom heard her and got up.  Tom said "hey Sydney can I get you anything?"  Sydney said "no I'm ok, I just wanted to move to my side, but it hurt too bad."  Tom said "I can go get the nurse see if they can get you more pain meds."  Sydney said "I'm fine, please just stay here and hold my hand."  He said "I can do that." Tom brushed the hair out of Sydney's face, and caressed her face.  He knelt down and kissed her forehead. Tom said "Sydney I feel so bad, this is my fault. I was supposed to protect you. I don't know how we." Sydney said "Tommy it's not your fault. Ok there was total chaos. I'm an officer just like you. Why is it your job to protect me, because what your a man?"  Tom smiled.  He said "no I'm your man."  He kissed her cheek.  Sydney said "I'm going to go back to sleep. Tommy if you want to go, it's ok. I mean I know it's more comfortable in your bed, then trying to sleep here. I'm fine. I'm just going to sleep."  Tom said "sorry Officer Kramer, but you aren't getting rid of me."  Sydney said "ok" They went back to sleep.

Judy came in, and Doug and Harry with flowers for Sydney. Tom said "geez you guys are making me look bad. I didn't get you any flowers Sydney."  Sydney said "that's ok. Thank you guys they are beautiful."  Doug said "no you're beautiful, he kissed her, so did Harry."  Harry said "Hanson you're the one making us look bad, I mean you racing in a burning building to save her."  Doug said "Sydney can we borrow Hanson for awhile?"  Sydney said "um sure." Tom said "no guys I don't want to leave."  Harry said "relax we aren't taking you far, just downstairs to get your breakfast"  Tom said "I'm fine"  Harry said "Hanson it won't take long."  Sydney said "Officer Hanson, you need to go eat. I'm fine."  Judy said "I'm here, I will take care of her, now go on so you can get back."  Tom said "ok you're sure you're ok? I really am not all that hungry. I can stay if you need me."  Sydney said "I'm fine. I will call you if I need you ok."  Tom said "um ok, Judy please don't let her be getting up, she thinks she can like go walk in the hall, she tried that last night."  Sydney laughed.  Tom and the guys left and went to the cafeteria.  Judy said "girl he loves you so much."  Sydney said "yeah he told me that he loved me, never been in love." She said "did you tell him you love him too?"  Sydney said "no I couldn't, I can't just yet.  I feel bad I know I should."  She said "no hurry, make him wait for it. Sydney you are like more than my best friend, you are like my sister. I didn't realize how much I need you till last night. I was so scared."  Sydney said "sorry I scared you, but I feel the same way. You are the only girl I have ever had as a friend that I can trust you with everything."  She hugged Judy.

Jenko came in. He said "can I get in on that hug with my 2 beautiful princesses?"  Judy said "sure boss."  Jenko said "how you feeling sweetheart?"  Sydney said "I'm sore, but I'm fine. My head hurts a little, but mainly my ribs."  Jenko said "I'm so sorry you were hurt. I let you down."  Sydney said "no you didn't. Look the risk is there for all of us. I knew that when I became a police officer.  Tom is blaming himself, I don't want anyone to think this is on them."  Jenko said "well honey I'm your captain, I sent you in there, knowing the risk, so I take the blame."  Jenko said "so where is Hanson, I'm surprised he left your side."  Judy said "Doug and Harry took him to breakfast downstairs, and believe me it wasn't easy, they practically had to pry him away."  Sydney laughed.  She said "ouch that hurts when I laugh."  Judy said "sorry."  

Tom was telling Doug and Harry how bad he felt, that he messed up, that it should be him hurt not Sydney, that he knew it was Margie, he should have banned Sydney from going. They told him dude she's an officer, you can't stop her, or ban her from her own case, It's not your fault. You saved her life. Tom said "I got to go back."  He left and came up.

Jenko said "So Sydney you sure have cast your magic spell on Hanson. Man that dude is in love."  Sydney laughed.  Jenko said "always staring at you, and his whole face lights up when you look at him."  Judy said "see told you."  Sydney said "he's pretty awesome. But don't tell him I said so."  Jenko laughed.  Jenko said "promise me 1 thing sweetheart."  Sydney said "ok."  Jenko said "well actually two things.  I know you've been hurt badly, so you're scared, and it is smart to be cautious, and take things slow, but promise me you won't push true love away. Hanson is a good guy, and he loves you so much. So when the time is right, go on, and take the chance ok. This goes for you too Judy. I know how badly you were hurt, but when you meet the right guy, take your time, make sure he's the right one, but don't push him away cause you're scared.  Be honest with them, let them know you're scared, and that they have to go slow with things."  Sydney said "ok boss."  Judy said "ok boss."