CHAPTER 110: CAN TOM GET A MIRACLE

Tom's mom said "honey I wish you'd come see the babies, I know you have to go back to Sydney soon, but you should come say hi to them.  They need to hear your voice."  Tom cried.  He said "mom I can't.  I love them so much, more than I thought was possible. But right now I can't. Sydney is my only focus."  She said "ok well I don't want them left alone, I mean the nursery nurse is there, but still. I'm going to go back. I love you Thomas."  Tom said "I love you mom."  She kissed his face and then hugged him.  She left.

Tom prayed, begged God, pleaded to God, for a miracle.  He made promises, he apologized for neglecting God, and when his dad died, he quit going to church, he didn't make time then when Michelle had killed herself so he thought, he was angry, So he blew God off, church off.  When he met Sydney, she got him to go to church, at her church. They went every Sunday, since almost the second week he got to Jump Street.  Judy usually went with them. Then they went and ate usually at Mi Cocina.

Tom pleaded for Sydney's life. He thanked him for protecting her as Michelle, and for reuniting them, he had hoped his dad played a hand in that reuniting, he thought maybe he did, he thanked him for allowing Sydney to forgive him, and to love him, he thanked him for the life he and Sydney made, but he begged him to save her.  He said he knows that Jesus has the power to save, in his name. He said he promised to be the best husband, best father, if Sydney and the babies would just be ok.

Tom went back to Sydney's room.  He said "Judy any change?"  She said "no, but that's a good sign isn't it."  Tom said "I don't really know. I hope so. But I wish I could know what the time table, I mean she said 12 to 24 hours. But what I mean I don't know."  Dennis said "Hanson I'll go see if a nurse can come in here and explain it to you."  Tom said "Thanks."

The nurse came back with him.  She said "Mr. Hanson I'm sorry, it's been such a hectic night, not just with your wife, we had a major car crash on the bridge, a car pile up, emergency surgeries."  Tom said "it's fine."  Judy said "We'll go."  Tom said "no please stay Judy."

Tom said "ma'am I know how busy you all are, and I thank you for all you've done for my wife, but I just need I don't know 12 to 24 hours, is there a sign, that she's going to be ok, do I just wait, is there something I should look for."  Tom scratched back of his head.  

The nurse said "ok I'll try and answer all your questions  Your wife's blood loss was so severe, almost all of her blood, and so fast, that when that happens, so fast her body went into shock."  Tom said "But you got her heart started again.."  She said "yes but there was time in between, which there's just no way of knowing the damage done.  Her organs started to shut down."

Tom said "Judy please help. I can't think."  She said "ma'am what kind of damage I mean."  She said "the most important one is possible brain damage."  She cried.  Tom did too.  She said "when the doctor gave you 12 to 24 hours,  the first 12 is to see if her body can recover from the shock. to see if her heart her organs don't shut down on her, but the longer your wife stays asleep the worse it is."

Tom said "What doesn't she need sleep, rest. She's got to be exhausted."  She said "yes her body does need sleep, rest, she is exhausted, but her brain, she needs to be waking up, if she doesn't."  Judy said "if she doesn't wake up in the next 12 to 24 hours what."  The nurse said "She probably has some brain damage, she would be in a coma."  Judy fell into Booker.  Tom broke down crying.

The nurse said "I'm so sorry to tell you this, but I do think you should prepare yourself. We have a counselor assigned to each patient, and yours is on the way to talk to you, if you want to. I mean it's more to help you through all of this, like a patient advocate."  Tom shouted "No. I don't want counselor, no advocate."  She said "ok it's your choice. I'm sorry."  Judy said "so what happens after 24 hours, I mean will she stay in the coma."  The nurse said "yes unless and until she either wakes up or Mr. Hanson decides to let her go."  Tom shouted "no no I won't do that, I'm not letting her go.  you hear that.  You hear that."  She said "I'm sorry."  Booker said "Hanson come on man, don't shout like that you don't want Sydney hearing you."  Tom said "you're right. Look I'm sorry. But I can't lose my wife."  She said "Mr. Hanson look I'm not saying that any of this will happen, I was just letting you know what the outcome could be. It's my job to."  He said "I know that. I'm sorry for yelling at you. I know you're doing all you can."