CHAPTER 22: FACING THE FALL OUT

Next morning Sydney woke up, took a shower, got dressed at 6:00 and snuck out in the hall The door to the room Tom was sleeping in was shut.  She quietly got some chocolate milk, and a protein bar, got her book bag, and quietly left.  She said sorry Hanson, I can't deal with seeing you. It hurts too much.  She drove to Jump Street.  Judy was already there.  Judy said "hey girl, you're here early, or did you even go to bed."  She smiled.  Sydney said "hey Judy, how are you today?"

Judy said "fine but what's wrong."  Sydney said "I'm ok."  Judy said "you look like you could use a hug,"  She hugged Sydney, Sydney cried.  Judy said "honey what's wrong, what happened when you told Tom?"  Sydney said "I didn't tell Tom."  She said "you chicken out?"  Sydney said "no dinner never happened.  He blew me off."  She said "what I can't  believe it."  Sydney said "I waited until 9, but then I went home."  She said "Hanson never came home?" Maybe he had car trouble."  Sydney said "no look he called saying he would be late, that he um he came over to explain, he something came up on a case, and he had to go to his old precinct talk to his friend Joe, have Joe help him. He lost track of time. He is really sorry, promised me he would make it up, blew up my phone and home phone, then when I didn't answer, he came over and explained."  She said "ok honey, well I'm sorry. I know it took a lot of courage to get your nerve up to tell him, but you can try again."  Sydney said "no, this is fate. I know now I can never tell Tom. He will reject me. He will be horrified. He won't be able to get past it."  Judy said "Sydney he loves you."  Sydney said "this is fate, this happening the night I was going to tell him, means I just can't tell him.  Look I came here, he's still asleep at my place. I just didn't want to face him, it hurts too much."  She hugged her,

Judy said "Sydney I'm sorry, I know how much it hurts, and it adds to your fear, but I really think take your time, maybe try again when the time is right, I don't think he will react the way you fear. He loves you. I can't imagine him not wanting you.  Look he will be upset that he is the man who has hurt you. He hates this guy who hurt you wants to kill him, so he will be horrified it is him. I think this isn't fate, it is just bad timing, maybe the time isn't right ok, maybe it's too soon,  But he loves you, this doesn't mean anything as to how he will react.  Don't give up sweetie"  

Tom woke up and knocked on Sydney's door.  He said "hey Syd I thought before we head to the chapel, I would take you to Starbucks, buy you breakfast?"  There was no answer.  Tom knocked again.  He opened the door.  He saw Sydney was gone.  He went into the living room. He said "dammit Sydney where are you."  Tom called Sydney's phone.  Sydney looked at her phone. She said dammit.  Sydney didn't answer. Tom said "hey where are you, call me ."  Tom called back, he said "hey Sydney, stay at Jump Street ok, don't go to class yet, we can ride together stay there I'm on my way." Tom hurried to Starbucks, got a cheese Danish, coffee for him, and a Caramel Frappuccino then he went and bought some flowers" He hurried to the chapel. Sydney said "Judy I got to go to class, I don't want to run into Tom."

Sydney left. Tom didn't see her car, he said dammit." He came in.  Tom said "hey Jude, have you seen Sydney."  She said "yep you just missed her."  He said "dammit. Did she get my messages?" Judy said "yep." Tom said "dammit Judy I messed up bad."  She said "you sure did Hanson. Do you have any idea how huge last night was going to be for you and Sydney. Huh do you?" Tom said "yeah and it's killing me, and making me sick. I slept alone last night, so yeah I'm well aware of how I messed up.  But look it's not what you might be thinking I didn't come home, but it's not that."  Judy said "she said you were at your old precinct talking to a friend."  Tom said "yes."  Judy said "well Hanson for your sake, all I'm gonna say is that old friend better have been a man, and there better not have been a woman in the room, if you got me."  She threw a dart right by his head and hit the dart board.  Tom said "ouch, yeah it was a guy, and no girls were present, lucky for me." She laughed. He laughed.  He said "Judy I hurt her, missing her dinner, I lost track of time, I was looking for something on a computer there, and before you know it it was 9 p.m. But Sydney I assure you, is the only girl for me. I don't want any other girl, I will wait for her. But I got to go. Try and talk to her before class."