the waitress | jonah marais

i rolled my eyes as i saw a big group of guys walking into the restaurant. one of my fellow waiters instantly began putting together three tables for all of them to fit.

it was late and i was beyond tired, my eight hour shift had felt longer than ever and all i wanted to do was go home and sleep. we had been busy all evening, couples and families coming in for the good food and service.

there were still a few guests here but i thought after them i would be able to clock out, i was wrong. i was in a daydream, just craving my bed and being under the warm sheets.

my manager looked over at me and signalled at the table, mentally telling me to go and take their orders.

i nodded, complying with his request although deep down i was more than frustrated with this job. i was eighteen, on minimum wage and struggling to find time for school and the money to keep me there.

grabbing the phone used to take orders, i headed over to the group of boys. there were about five of them and i took a deep breath to compose myself, already knowing that they were attractive.

"hey, i'm grace, what can i get for you all?" i said in the politest way possible. they all looked up at me, some of them having a more mature appearance than others.

they went around the table, listing to me what they would like until i got to the last guy who was sitting there patiently. "just some carbonara, please." he smiled as he closed his menu.

i nodded, selecting the option on the device before gathering up their menus. they thanked me before i left in the direction of the kitchen, reporting back to the chefs about their order.

once that was done i got started on their drinks, a few cocktails and juices between them. "where's the liquor?" i asked my coworker, shay, who was scooping ice into the cups. "there." she pointed towards the shelf and i found it.

she helped me put them onto the tray and then i carefully walked back over to the table of guys. i handed them their drinks, remembering who they belonged to.

"can we get some straws, please?" the carbonara boy asked and i smiled, his manners making me feel at ease. "yep, no problem." i replied, grabbing some that were on the nearby counter and leaving it beside him.

he said his thanks before i walked off to run some errands in the back. i was refilling the sauces and i couldn't stop thinking about how attractive he was. his hair had loose brown curls and his eyes were a deep, dark colour, it had been a while since i'd actually found myself attracted to anybody, it felt weird.

ten or so minutes later, all their food was prepared and i served them all. i let them know that they could ask me if they needed anything and they nodded before tucking into the food.

"you think he's cute?" shay asked as i started to put some stock away. i raised my eyebrow and she smirked, already knowing the answer. "get his number, girl." she nudged me, lightly.

"i can't, i'm working." i said, the thought of it seeming very unprofessional. she sighed and rolled her eyes at me, knowing how shy i was. "we are literally on minimum wage, what's the harm in getting his number?"

she had a point, although i was too afraid to ask. the thought of him saying no in front of his friends was not what i needed right now. besides, he probably had a girlfriend.