eyes on me | zach herron

{tw: mentions of choking in a sexual nature}

i sighed deeply as i typed a message to my mom, letting her mom know i wouldn't be able to make it to dinner at her house tonight because i was extremely tired.

before she could even reply, i slipped my phone into my pocket and used my company card to clock out of my ten hour shift. i said goodbye to my colleagues who still had a few hours left of their own shifts as they started later and then headed over to the staff exit which was on the side of the building.

i pushed the door open, not wanting to spend another minute there and turned in the direction of my apartment which was only a ten minute walk away.

working in retail sucked so bad but my job was able to provide me with a good income so i could provide for myself as well as save money for the future. the hours i worked also matched with my degree so i was able to manage education as well as work due to this job.

i moved out of my mom's house almost eight months ago and she made me promise her that i would visit her one every fortnight as she was wary of me living by myself especially because i was 'young' in her words.

and although i loved the independence, i did miss home quite a lot and did visit my mom almost twice a week. however, today was one of those days where i just wanted to have a shower and go to sleep because of how stressed out i was from work.

it was a little past nine in the evening so the street was dark and pretty empty.

once i reached my apartment building i smiled, the warmth soothing me. i walked over to the elevator and pressed the arrow that pointed up.

i waited a few seconds before hearing a ding, signalling that an elevator had came down. i entered and pressed number 19, the second highest floor of the building.

the door closed and moved up swiftly and i sighed, looking at myself in the dirty mirror. i attempted to fix my hair that was in a ponytail but it only made it worse, creating a 'messy look'. i took a bobby pin from my bag and held it between my teeth as i raked some of the strands out of my face.

the elevator slowed down and the doors opened and because i used it every day i knew someone was coming on as it took about a minute and a half to reach the 19th floor and i had only been in here for about forty-five seconds.

although, no one did get on so i assumed the kids who lived in this apartment pressed it for fun and ran off.

i watched from the mirror to see a boy with brown hair and brown eyes enter, he looked a little annoyed. his cheeks were all flustered and he was holding a take out box in his hand.

i watched as he looked at me from the mirror but i didn't respond and instead finished pinning my hair. i turned back around and huffed, pressing the door close button as the elevator hadn't closed the doors.

the doors finally shut and the boy let out a chuckle which made me peer over at him.

he was cute, i thought.

he now had a smile on his face which wasn't there before and i couldn't help but smile too.

"bad day?" he asked and i nodded.