Chapter 7

7 — A DIFFERENT PERSPECTIVE

***

   JAMES was utterly pissed when he found out that Thalia had a date to their upcoming Hogsmeade trip.

And of course, she was going with some idiot nerd Ravenclaw. Yeah, he wasn't one to be house prejudiced because Lorcan was definitely cool, but this dude was a total idiot and a total nerd.

Thomas Clarke—a halfblood Ravenclaw in their year who was definitely a nerd and an idiot. He always had his nose stuck in a book and was always studying—and still he couldn't manage to surpass the holy James Sirius Potter in grades who practically had never touched one of his textbooks throughout his entire seven years at Hogwarts. Clarke was also extremely embarrassingly clumsy, yet always seemed so terribly confident, which made him seem like a total idiotic git. Thomas Clarke never watched where he was going and James has caught him, on numerous occasions, slipping, tripping, dropping his books, and ramming into doors and door frames, along with several other extremely embarrassing things, and Clarke would still act as if he's the best thing that anyone had ever laid their eyes one.

Why the beautiful and gorgeous Thalia Scamander would ever stoop that low for a bloke like Clarke was beyond James.

Was he not good enough? Was he not good-looking enough? Was he not kind enough? Was he not mature enough? Was he not fit enough? What could he do that would make Thalia fall her him instead of Clarke?

Rose and Lily's words from the train echoed about his mind.

   'You're literally never going to get Thalia if you keep up with the way you're acting.'

'Thalia sees James as nothing more than a brother and a friend as of now, so he obviously is doing something wrong.'

   Those two horrifying words—'Brother' and 'Friend'—absolutely enraged James Sirius Potter down to the core.

And besides, who is 'Just James'?

He never had much of a say in who he was from the very beginning. James has always grown up in the spotlight seeing as he was the firstborn child of Harry Potter, The Boy Who Lived—The Chosen One—The Savior of the Wizarding World—and the child who had the power to vanquish the infamous evil Dark Lord and Ginny Weasley, The Badass Quidditch Player—Famous Chaser of the Holyhead Harpies—Youngest daughter of the Weasley Family—and the sister of Ron Weasley, Harry's best friend.

Although he was in the spotlight, he always had felt overshadowed by his parents—their names, their celebrity status, their accomplishments, and well, everything.

James felt like he was nothing compared to his parents, so he vowed to make a name of himself, the main reason as to why James always acted so confident—to step out of his parents' shadow and shine just as bright as them. He was proud of his parents and their achievements, of course. Why wouldn't he be? James wanted to be just like them, if not better.

But had he spent all his life trying to create a name for himself, rather than just being him? But the question was... who was he if he wasn't the confident self he made himself out to be?

Quidditch and being an Auror were two passions he definitely kept close to his heart for sure. That was 100% not an act at all.

But did he like pranking? Sure, it was enjoyable, but afterwards he would always be stained with pure and utter guilt for torturing and making fun of the lower class students.

Did he like keeping up with the arrogant, loud, and obnoxious behavior he put on as a facade? James honestly had no clue, for his whole life he had acted that way, but what was James truly like?

He didn't even know himself.

Was that all he'd ever be? James Sirius Potter: The Chosen One's son? The famous Quidditch Player's son? A brother? A friend? Was that it? Was that his destiny? Was this his fate? Was this the fate that had been written in the stars for him since Day 1?

James started to realize how lost and stupid he sounded and his heart dropped down to the ground and shattered into millions of pieces as if it were glass.

James really was empty, for he didn't even know who he was himself. He was a wreck. He was hopeless. He was absolutely nothing. He was just a person that kept up a fake act, and while it was a fake act, he faked himself too.

James concluded that he, himself, would never be enough for Thalia Scamander.

Never.