Chapter 13

13 - UNEXPECTED PRESENT

***

CHRISTMAS Day approached the Scamander household in a flash. And let's just say that the Scamander's were definitely big on Christmas.

Dazzling colorful lights were strung around every corner of the forest cottage. A beautiful, tall evergreen tree stood in the corner of their family room, decorated in ornaments, baubles, and trinkets of all shapes, colors, and sizes along sparkly tinsel strung across the tree. A beautiful, glowing star sat at the very tippy-top that was charmed to illuminate all sorts of colors and never die out.

Thalia was extremely ecstatic. She had planned out what to get all her closest friends and family for gifts.

She got Kristina a pair of brand-new, spanking quidditch gloves. She got Samuel a leather diary that had his initials engraved on the cover; it was charmed so that only he could see, read, and write in it.

She got Lily, Hugo, James, Teddy, Victoire, Fred, Molly, Lucy, Louis, Roxanne, Dominque, Mark, Albus, Scorpius, and Rose chocolates from Honeydukes.

She got Lysander the newest broomstick cleaner on the market, and she got Lorcan two first-edition copies of the newest novels on the Wizarding Market.

She bundled together a cute little gift for her mother-a mug filled with all sorts of sweets and pictures of the family. And lastly, she got her dad a few figurines of several magical creatures.

When Thalia awoke from her slumber, she immediately rushed downstairs to find her brothers already unwrapping their gifts.

She saw Lorcan's face light up as he tore off the wrapping to reveal Thalia's present to him. His eyes immediately shot up to his smiling sister. He got up and crashed into her with tight hug which she gladly returned.

"I love the books," Lorcan smiled, softly, "Thanks, Thals."

"No problem, Lorcan," Thalia grinned back.

"Happy Christmas!" Two voices sung as they entered the room.

The three children twirled around to find their father and mother standing in the doorway, smiling at their idyllic children.

"Merry Christmas!" Thalia, Lysander, and Lorcan cheered back.

"I can already see the two of you got to your present pile," Rolf chuckled at his twin sons, who grinned sheepishly.

Lysander and Lorcan thanked their sister and parents before they rushed off to their respected rooms to go write letters to their friends in gratitude for the presents that they had received from them.

"Aren't you going to open your gifts, Thalia?" Rolf asked his daughter.

"Oh right!" Thalia said as she kneeled down next to the tree and grabbed her gifts.

She received several things that definitely made the Hufflepuff smile gratefully. She received many gifts from her friends and family from books, to candy, and even to a brand-new broomstick.

As Thalia finished unwrapping all her presents, she heard a faint tapping noise on the window next to her. She turned to see an unfamiliar Tawny Owl fluttering outside of the glass pain with a small box with a note in its claws. Curiously, she opened up the window to take the package and letter out of its grasp and fed the owl a treat before sending it away.

She hopped onto the couch before reading the pearl-white envelope that was clearly labeled:

To Thalia Scamander

Burning with curiosity, she hastily torn open the unexpected letter and slid the slightly crinkled parchment out of its confinements of an envelope. She unfolded the parchment to find a few paragraphs written in a slightly messy scrawl:

Dear Thalia,

Hey, this is James. I honestly wanted to call you using one of those iPhones that muggles use, but then I forgot that you don't really use muggle inventions, so I suppose that a letter will have to do. I am sending this on Christmas Eve, so your present might be the taddest but late.

The package is for you, by the way. I think you will really like it. I put in a whole load of thought and work into the gift, and I think you will really enjoy it.

Also, I received your present. I am waiting to open it for Christmas Day, you see, and thank you for whatever you got me. I'm sure that I will love it as much as I will love yours because let's be real, anything from you is a blessing.

You know what would be an even better Christmas present? You going on a date with me. That will certainly outdo any Christmas Present.

Anyways, even if you do reject me again... Happy Christmas.

Your future husband,
J. S. P.

P. S.

My family is hosting a New Years Eve party this year. Your family is probably going to be invited. I think you will get an invitation from my parents sooner or later. You better show up.

As Thalia finished reading the letter, she felt an uneasy feeling course through her stomach. The way he kept saying how much Thalia would like the present that he had got her sent shivers down her spine and made her nervous.

What if it was a prank? The way he said it, almost sounded mischievous and cunning. It was definitely scary to think about.

Who was Thalia kidding? Of course James Potter was pranking her-especially after what she did to James before break in this private quarters. He would 100% want to get her back for that one.

Thalia sighed and shook her head as she trudged off to her room with all her presents in hand to send off thank-you letters to her friends.

She set her presents all on her bed and shoved James' still-unopened present in her dresser where she would not accidentally set it off.