Chapter 10

10 - GOLDEN GIRL

***

JAMES sat at the Gryffindor table in the Great Hall, silently, as he watched the love of his life enjoying her time, conversing with her own friends.

What had he done wrong that he could not get the girl whom he desired so much?

"You alright, mate?" Lysander asked, peering over at his older friend.

"He's probably sulking over Thalia again," Dominque shrugged as she took a large bite out of her chicken leg.

"Ugh... why do all our conversations have to end up being about James and my sister?" Lysander groaned.

"Oh, please, Icky-Ly-Ly. You practically brought the convo up. This one's on you," Dominque snickered.

"Why my sister out of all people tho, James?" Lysander asked. "Like she has rejected you plenty of times over the past god-knows how many years, yet you still chase her. Why?"

"She reminds me of a snitch-important, valuable, something so superior that you have to catch it to win, but hard to catch, yet it will feel so good once you catch it and win the game." James sighed.

"But you sort of forget about the snitch after it's been caught, and you more focus on the win. So you're basically saying you want to play my sister?" Lysander asked, angrily.

"No! No, of course not!" James defended. "I really like Thalia. I really do. She's kind, sweet, funny, sassy, sarcastic, and smart. She's everything I could ever want in a girl."

"There's plenty of girls like Thalia," Mark chimed in. "They have the blonde hair, Hufflepuff, kind, smart, and whatever words you used to describe her."

"But they aren't, well, y'know... her." James huffed.

"Go on..." Mark urged.

"I mean her beautiful green eyes, her long shiny curly hair, and her personality-don't even get me started on that. She's a caring person, she's loyal to her friends and family, she's kind and sweet to everyone around her, yet not afraid to tease or make fun of someone. She's not afraid to fight for her friends and family when they're in trouble. She could literally beat anyone up if she felt like it. She doesn't see me as the 'Boy Who Lived's son. She isn't afraid to put me in my place. She fights back. She doesn't fall flat at my feet like every other girl does because I'm 'famous'. I just can't see anyone but her." James sighed. "But she doesn't even spare a second glance at me. All she thinks about is that Tosspot Clarke."

"It's okay, James," Mark said putting his hand on her shoulder. "She'll fall in love with you one day. I just know it."

"It was weird thinking about how you said all that sentimental crap about my sister, but I have to admit that sounded really sweet of you." Lysander admitted.

"Really?" James asked.

"I'd pick you over Clarke any day, brother," Lysander said, patting James' shoulder.

"She's perfect." James sighed, dreamily with his eyes still focused on the golden girl of his eyes.

***

Thalia was conversing with Samuel when she noticed Thomas walking into the Great Hall.

Madame Pomfrey hadn't allowed her to check upon Thomas in the hospital wing while he stayed there for no reason whatsoever, so Thalia immediately excused herself from Samuel before making her way towards the Ravenclaw boy.

"Hey, Thomas," Thalia lightly smiled as she approached the boy. "How're you feeling?"

"Peachy," replied Thomas, curtly.

"I'm sorry about the date. It was definitely a disaster. I know this may seem sudden, but I would really like to get to know you better, so how about a do-over on that date?" Thalia asked, ignoring Thomas' rude attitude, seeing as he won't even look at her as she spoke.

"No!" Thomas said a little too quickly. "I mean... uh... I would rather not, thanks."

"What?" Thalia said as she knitted her eyebrows together.

"I don't like you that way at all. We didn't work out. The date was horrible. In fact, your personality is just as horrible as that date. No more for me, thank you very much. Please accept that and don't talk to me anymore, so just go." Thomas snapped.

"Oh... okay then," Thalia said with a heavy and arrow-pierced heart as she furiously walked out of the Great Hall.

Thomas truly felt bad and absolutely regretted every word that he spoke as he watched the upset girl run away from him, but he definitely couldn't ignore the terrifying note that he had received in the hospital wing.

Thalia leaned against the wall, tears in the corners of her eyes. She had never cried in her entire life, and never before had she felt so hurt by someone's words.

What happened to the sweet and chivalrous boy from the date? Had she done something wrong? Was she not nice enough? Was she not pretty enough? Was she not fit enough?

Her thoughts were immediately halted by none other than James Potter who sat right at her side as he wrapped his arm around the blonde in comfort.

"Clarke I presume?" He whispered.

"Yeah..."

"Like I said, he's a tosspot. You are a great person, Thalia, you do not deserve someone as low as him." James said.

"Thanks James." Thalia smiled lightly.

"Anytime."