Chapter 41

41 — LATE NIGHT PICNICS

***

   "WHERE are we going?" laughed Thalia as James was leading her by the hand about the school.

"I told you Thals," James chuckled, "I have something planned!"

"But it is after hours! We are going to get in so much trouble if we get caught! Especially since we are Head Boy and Head Girl! We are supposed to be setting an example! Not breaking the rules!" Thalia hissed.

"Oh come on! I think that you will really like it!" James insisted.

"Are you going to prank me?" suggested Thalia.

"Hey! You do not give me enough credit!" James huffed.

"Well what do I know?" Thalia said. "You are probably going to lead me under a door frame and a bunch of rats are going to rain down on my head!"

"You know, I tried to make something romantic for us, but apparently you don't think I can pull it off a romantic date."

"Well, I don't know what going on in that ruddy little brain of yours!" Thalia protested.

"Dirty things," smirked James.

"Dirty minded teenager!"

"Eh, you still love it."

"Wait, why are we going to the Astronomy Tower?" Thalia asked as James pulled Thalia up of. the winding staircase of the tower. "Is this going to be some cliché romantic spaghetti dinner with a rose and candle in the middle or something?"

"Can you just wait two more seconds?" James said as he lead Thalia to a small clearing on the floor where a white blanket sat with a picnic basket.

"You know... this sounds like something that would happen mid-day in a flower field and not in the middle of the night on the cold hard floor of Dumbledore's death platform."

"Well that got dark real fast," grumbled James, "And what a way to kill the mood as well."

"Eh, I still love it nonetheless," Thalia said as she stood up on her tippy-toes to peck James on the lips, "How did you manage to do all of this... and without getting caught."

"I had a little bit of help with food from the House elves. And how I didn't get caught... will be a secret that I shall never tell," James winked.

"Well looking at all of this food is making me hungry," Thalia grinned as she plopped herself down on the blanket with James seating himself right beside her as she grabbed a fresh pumpkin pastry from the picnic basket.

"I love these when they are fresh," Thalia said as she savored the delicious bite she just took of the treat.

"I'm glad," smiled James.

They two continued to laugh and talk as the night continued, eating the pastries that filled the picnic basket. The two shared laughs and smiles, and James could watch Thalia do those two things for an eternity without ever getting bored.

Love was an odd thing. He expressed his feelings toward her ever since the start of their second year, yes. But he could not ever remember a time where he hadn't loved the girl. They had known each other for all their lives. The two had always been quite close friends, so how could James not love her? Whether back then, his love was simply platonic or not, he knew that he loved her, and that he never wanted to stop loving her.

"I love the stars," Thalia whispered, taking a bite out of a Cauldron Cake.

"Why?" James asked.

"They remind me of forever. The fine line between simply existing and being completely divine," she replied.

"What is that supposed to mean?"

"When we look at stars, all we see are tiny little dots that float around in the sky. To most of us, they simply just exist and don't matter at all," Thalia mesmerized, "But they are so much more. Floating up there in the heavens are giant balls of gas, and they probably see us as the useless beings that don't matter at all."

"You should be a poet," James suggested:

  "Sometimes I like to imagine myself as the main character of some stupid little storybook, but then I am reminded that the rest of the world exists, and that there is the whole universe out there. I feel that accepting that I am so insignificant, makes me feel significant in a way." Thalia said.

"I have absolutely no clue what you are talking about at this point," James said, holding an expression of confusion, "But in no way possible are you insignificant. If anything, you are my world."

"And the award for the cheesiest line of the century goes to..."

"You love it."

"Deadly."

   And James Potter smiled to himself as he heard those words slipped out of her mouth because in a way she said that she loved him back. And even though she never said the three words, he knew that she meant it.

***

A/N:

Chapter 1 of Mischief Managed is up! Go ahead and read it! :)