Chapter 32

32 - LOSER 1 AND LOSER 2

***

'LOSER 1' AND 'LOSER 2' were the words that were plastered on James' and Lysander's foreheads the whole night of the ball.

"Why does James get to be number 1?!" Lysander huffed.

"Aweee... is Lysander jelly?" James taunted.

"Prick..." Lysander grumbled.

Thalia laughed at the two and left to join the dance floor with Kristina, Dominque, Lily, and Rose.

"Oh hey, Thalia!" Lily greeted as she noticed that Thalia started dancing next to her.

"Your dance with James was absolutely adorable!" Kristina squealed. "It better go down in our History of Magic book. Maybe Binns' class wouldn't be so boring."

"He isn't that boring." Rose differed.

"Oh please Rose. You are practically sitting in his class with one eye open," Dominque snickered to which the rest of the other girls laughed in response.

"Don't you have your speech soo-"

"And now I would like to grab your attention both students and teachers," an amplified voice called as the music stopped.

Headmistress McGonagall stood upon the platform at the front of the Great Hall. A wave of silence washed over the room, all having their ears on the animagus. "Now that I have grabbed your attention, I ask of all of you to make your way to the front for the Head Girl and Head Boys' speech in honor of the twenty-fourth anniversary of the Dark Lord's final defeat. The dance will resume after their speech, but now I ask of you to give your undivided attention to your Heads of school."

Thalia and James both immediately rushed up to the platform, pushing past through the crowd to join the Headmistress.

"I hope you both have prepared your speech," McGonagall said to the two. "Hold up-what is on your face, Mr. Potter?"

"Thalia likes to doodle," James replied simply.

"We got this covered 'Fessor. Besides, who needs preparation when you already got it down," Thalia smirked.

"We won't let you down Minnie," James winked.

McGonagall rolled her eyes and shuffled towards the back of the platform for Thalia and James to start their speech.

"Hello everyone," Thalia greeted, using the Sonorus charm to amplify her voice, "I am your Head Girl, Thalia Scamander."

"And I am your Head Boy, James Potter," James said also using the amplifying charm. "As you all seventh years, younger dates, and prefects know, this is the twenty-fourth anniversary in celebration of Voldemort's defeat-no need to be shy of his name, for 'fear of a name only increases fear of the thing itself' as the lovely Hermione Granger said."

"On May 2, 1998, Voldemort was killed by our very own Harry Potter in this very castle. Twenty-four years ago, students our age-just like you and me-fought within these very castle walls. They put their lives on the line for the sake of the Wizarding World, and they were willing to risk it all for the sake of our futures."

"Some were hurt. Some were killed. And we will mourn for those fifty students that fell during the battle. And remember. These soldiers who fought were some of our parents. They put everyone else's lives before their own to fight for what was right. They did it for us. And even today, we will forever remember what they have done to secure a safe and happy future for all of us."

"Now remember. It is not just the Second Wizarding War that we have to acknowledge. Many people died in the First Wizarding War. They were the people that had lost absolutely everything. And several of them ended up losing their lives then while others during the second war. This ball is in honor of them-all of them-in honor of everyone who contributed to the Dark Lord's defeat. Whether it was a duel against a death eater, whether they helped in both Order of the Phoenixes-or even just one, whether they died, or even whether they even healed the injured."

"Imagine if some of you were in that time. Imagine yourself in the 1970s or the 1990s right now. You are safe within Hogwarts walls, but what would happen the moment that you step outside? You would have to sleep with one eye open. You would have to worry about a Death Eater attacking you. You would have to worry about your family dying. But within the castle walls, you aren't safe either. Death eaters for professors? Death eaters as students? No where was safe at that time. And then one day, you are being called to war. You could die. And in the end, you could lose everything. None of us had to go through that. We were fortunate enough to be born into a time period where Voldemort doesn't exist-all because of our ancestor's sacrifice."

"So take some time to commemorate their sacrifices. Spend time with those you love. Appreciate what you have."

"Thank you."

James and Thalia both turned around and nodded at a teary-eyed McGonagall signaling that their speech was finished.

The students and professors all clapped at the conclusion of the Head Boy and Head Girl's speech.

"Now what are we waiting for?! Let's get this party back on!"

***

A/N:

Not me sucking at proofreading...