Chapter 44

44 — FINAL COUNTDOWN

***

   "THIS is it guys..." Thalia said with her arms wrapped around Clarissa's and Samuel's shoulders. The team was huddled up in a circle, all nervous for their upcoming match as they were about to step out onto the pitch for the last and final game of this school year. "We have been waiting for this moment for ages. We are head-to-head with Gryffindor for that House Cup. And we are going to win it."

   "I'm nervous," Yvette said, softly.

   "Don't be. Just believe in yourself," Thalia smiled, kindly, "Yvette, you are a fantastic player and have wicked arm muscles. I could never hit a bloody bludger as well as you can—even if my life depended on it."

   "Thanks," said Yvette, gratefully.

   "And I am certain that it is not just Yvette that is nervous. You all have the right to be, but in all honesty, you shouldn't," said Thalia, "I mean... I do get that the House Cup is on the line right now, and that I have been crazy harsh on you guys, but we have trained for this moment for months on end. The brutal practices that I have put you through have prepared you guys for this."

   "We just don't want to lose," Indiana pointed out.

   "She's right," Hunter confirmed, "I mean... you are the greatest quidditch player that Hufflepuff has ever seen. Cedric Diggory couldn't even stand a chance. And that fact alone is scary enough. We just don't want to let you down—especially after all the time and effort that you have spent on us."

   "We just feel that all your effort would be wasted if we lose," Bellamy finished.

   "Thalia has trained us harder than ever. We already have pulled through the last three games. We just have to do it again," Clarissa beamed, trying to lift the team's spirits up.

   "And on that positive note, don't doubt our captain. We are the most superior team that the badgers have seen yet. Sprout will forever be proud of us. And we are definitely going to pull through for round number four," Samuel encouraged.

   Thalia smiled gratefully at Clarissa and Samuel for their positive upbringings.

   "We are going to show those Gryffindors what we are made of."

***

   "Welcome to the sixth and final Hogwarts Quidditch match of year 2021-2022–Hufflepuff versus Gryffindor! This is your lovely commentator, Owen Gordon speaking, back at it again! Right now, we have Gryffindor and Hufflepuff head-to-head for the house cup, both in first place with Slytherin and then Ravenclaw following after. This is the final countdown—the final match to determine our Inter-House Cup Champion team! Who will win? We shall find out! Ladies and Gentlemen, pull out your black and yellow or red and gold, because this match is about to get intense!" The commentator, Owen Gordon called out as the crowd cheered and whistled loudly.

   "Coming up, we have got the Gryffindors!" Owen prompted. The crowd went wild as they saw the red quidditch robes of the lions emerging out from beneath the stands, brooms in hand with determined looks across all their faces. "We have our Chasers: Hugo Weasley, Jackson Creevey, and Kristina Ash-Wood! We have our Beaters: Louis Weasley and Fred Weasley! We have our Keeper: Lysander Scamander! And lastly, we have our Seeker and Quidditch Captain: James Potter!"

   For a second time in honor of the Gryffindors, the students cheered loudly, their hollers echoing about the pitch as they waved their red and gold banners and signs in the air.

   "And please let us welcome in the Hufflepuffs!" Owen prompted. Thalia took a deep breath before emerging out onto the Quidditch pitch with the rest of the team following in suit, tightly clutching her broom in her hand. It was now time for the Hufflepuff team supporters to go wild, because Thalia found herself flinching at the booming cheers of the students in the stands as they walked out. "We have our Chasers: Hunter Davis, Samuel West, and Clarissa Mane! We have our Beaters: Yvette Lin and Bellamy Sebastian! We have our Keeper: Indiana Moreno! And finally we have our Seeker and Quidditch Captain: Thalia Scamander!—also Thalia, my Love, you are looking extra fine today. How about a date? Ditch Potter for me? Ow—okay sorry! Just focus on the match? Seriously? I'm trying to get a date—maybe even a girlfriend here, and all you care about is quidditch."

   The whistles and howls seemed to grow louder as the Hufflepuff team walked closer and closer to the Gryffindors who were already waiting at the center of the pitch.

   "Ready to lose, Scamander?" James said, pulling a devilish smirk.

   "You wish," Thalia said, clenching her fist tightly around her broom—so tight that her knuckles turned white.

   "And introducing our very own Hogwarts Quidditch Professor as our referee for this match: Madame Hooch!"

   Madame Hooch walked out onto the field and the spectators cheered, again as she walked in between the two teams that were both staring at each other in determination to win. She then set the large box that contained the golden snitch, the two bludgers, and the quaffle down on the pitch grass.

   "Captain... shake hands."

   Thalia turned to James and shook his hand, James smirking prominently to which Thalia returned a glare.

   "You know the rules," Madame Hooch said, "No foul play. No cheating. Chasers, as many times with the quaffle in the hoops as you can. Keepers, guard your hoops to prevent the opposite team from scoring their goals. Beaters, keep the bludgers away from your teammates to the best of your ability. And lastly, Seekers, catch the snitch. It's 150 points. The closure of the match is all up to you.

   "And ready... GO!" Madame Hooch yelled as she blew the whistle, sending all the balls straight up into the air as the players took off all zooming in different directions.

   "AND THEY'RE OFF!"

***

A/N:

I think Lee would be proud of Owen for his commentary. (No, they are not related. Not every commentator has to be related to Lee Jordan ahaha—even though their last names are quite similar: Jordan and Gordon.)

Similar to Chapter 26, because I can't really change much, but you know the drill.

Second last chapter, besties. :(