Chapter 34

34 - PATRONUS

***

IN Defense Against the Dark Arts class, everyone was particularly excited because they were going to be actually performing spells rather than sitting in their desks writing lines or reading the textbook. And although they did do practical work quite often, the class was very excited for this lesson because they were going to learn about patronuses.

Even though it was quite a difficult spell, Thalia was confident that she would do well in it, for she had always been good with practical wand work.

She had always wondered what sort of animal her patronus would take form of. Maybe a horse? What about a dragon? She hoped it wasn't a Nargle though... Her mother would probably be very worried for her daughter. (She hates the Nargles-nasty little buggers they are.)

"Alright class!" The Defense professor announced to the students. "I am sure most of you know that we are going to be doing a practical session of wand work today about the Patronus charm!"

The students beamed at the Professor brightly as a few excited hushed whispers echoed about the classroom.

"Although it is a charm, it is used as a defense mechanism, so if you are bad at Charms, good luck with today's lesson."

Several student chuckled at the Professor's joked before they continued, "Can someone remind us all of the patronus charm again?"

Several hands shot up in the air, all eager to answer the question, including Thalia's.

"Miss Scamander! Go ahead."

"The Patronus charm is charm that acts as a guardian and can defend you against dark forces such as Dementors and Lethifolds. They also can be used to deliver messages, like in the First and Second Wizarding War. It works by saying the incantation correctly and thinking of your strongest and most powerful happy memory." Thalia explained. "There are two forms: a corporeal patronus and an incorporeal patronus. A corporeal patronus will take place of whatever animal pertains to your character or whatever animal that you share the deepest connection with. An incorporeal patronus will produce a sort of wisp. And lastly, the incantation is 'Expecto Patronum.'"

"Precisely correct! Well done Thalia!" The professor congratulated. "20 points to Hufflepuff for that well-said explanation." He paused. "Now, let's move all these tables and chairs to the side so that we can start conjuring!"

The students grabbed their wands and began to levitate the desks and seats off to the side of the classroom, leaving a giant open space in the middle.

"Alright! As Miss Scamander explained earlier, the incantation for the Patronus charm is 'Expecto Patronum.' You cannot forget your think of your most powerful and happy memory. And remember students, if you don't get in on the first try, do not fret, for many adult wizards can't even produce this spell.
This is just a fun little practical, I thought we could do for fun." The Professor said. "I am going to demonstrate for you all."

The Professor took out his wand and closed his eyes, thinking of his happiest memory before yelling out, 'Expecto Patronum!'

And from his wand a bright blue cheetah emerged and began to run around the room with a trail of silvery azure wisps of light behind.

The class gasped in awe at the beautiful creature as it continued to dance around the room before slowly fading away.

"Any volunteers?"

"I'll go," James piped up as he walked forward to the front of the classroom away from the crowd of students.

"Alright Mr. Potter. I believe your father managed to master this spell in his third year, and your mother in her fourth. You've got some big shoes to fill."

James took a deep breath and rolled his shoulders in anticipation, closing his eyes as he envision his happiest memory-kissing Thalia for the very first time during the party on New Years.

"Expecto Patronum."

The class gasped in awe as a lion began to take form as it pranced around the classroom.

"Yep, definitely a Gryffindor," Mark commented.

"Absolutely remarkable, Mr. Potter! Just like your father and mother! They would be very proud! And a lion at that too! Just like Mr. Ash-Wood said, you are definitely a true Gryffindor."

"Thank you Professor," James grinned as he turned his back to join the class again, winking at Thalia (who totally blushed) before turning back to the Professor at the front of the classroom.

"Any other volunteers? Does anyone here believe that they can get it and top Mr. Potter, here?"

"I'll do it," Thalia confidentially said as she walked up to the Professor.

"Alright Miss Scamander. Your explanation of the Patronus charm was absolutely wonderful earlier. Now let's see if you can perform the charm just as remarkably."

Thalia took in a deep breath and closed her eyes. She couldn't think of a particular memory, but all she envisioned was James-just James. She just thought of him, and the feelings she had whenever they spent time together or whenever he entered a room. He made her happy, and she didn't need a memory to produce the charm because all she needed was him.

"Expecto Patronum."

She opened her eyes again to see her patronus emerging out from her wand. Both she and the class gasped at the animal in shock, all wide-eyed.

It was a lioness.