Chapter 20

20 - DANCING ON THE ICE

***

THE once murky waters of the Black Lake have now frozen over due to the icy cold glacial weather. It was truly a lovely day, considering that the Scotland blizzards have not taken over, yet it was still cold to the point Thalia had to rush her hands together for added friction even though her hands were already covered in her knitted mittens.

After the two had finished up their butter beers, James had this genius idea to go ice skating on the Black Lake, and Thalia was definitely an idiot for agreeing, considering she did not know how to skate at all.

She sat at the edge of the lake, seated on a jagged boulder with white skates laced on her feet. She watched as several students, including James slid about on the ice, not giving a care in the world about the blistering chilly weather as they laughed and smiled skating about.

Obscuring the light from the sun with his own shadow, James slid in front on Thalia, swinging his skates to the side to halt his movement. "I do believe that you have agreed to come and skate with me, yet you continue to sit here on this rock instead of moving around," he pointed out humourously.

"I don't know how to skate," Thalia simply replied as she fixed the beanie atop her head.

"Well, you're in luck, Scamander, because I just so happen to be quite talented at skating," James said cockily.

"You are ever so humble James Potter."

"What a better way to show everyone how impossibly adorable of a date we are than an innocent little skate on the lake, hand-in-hand? We can't let Minnie down on that we are supposed to be the best couple in Hogsmeade this Valentine's." James said as he extending his hand out to her.

She just was able to hold in her amused snickers, shaking her head. "If you let me fall, Potter, I'll hex you." she said warningly as she hesitantly took his hand to let him pull her up to her feet.

He did so without much effort at all and pulled her toward him onto the ice. She stumbled as soon as her feet hit the ice, yet he caught her anyway, hie arms snaking around her waist before propping her upright. When his hand found her again, he made sure both were stable before slowly starting to glide across the ice, prompting for Thalia to follow him in suit. However, Thalia remained stationary, not wanting to move sure to her not wanting to embarrass herself.

James took notice of her uneasiness and her her a reassuring smile. "You can do it," James promises, "Here, give me your other hand. I will guide you, and I can guarantee that you will not fall."

Bracing herself, Thalia hesitantly took James' other hand and clutched both of his hands tightly, as he coaxed her onward on the ice. And for a while, Thalia thought she had finally had gotten somewhat of her skating dilemma under control, but of course, she spoke to soon, and her foot slipped to the side from beneath her. Just as she thought that she was going to hit the ground with a rough this, she was caught once more by James himself.

"I got you. You're all good," James reassured, placing his hands on on her hips as he straightened her back up, holding her steady. "I'm not gonna let you fall, Scamander." He paused. "Well unless it's for me. But I have reason to believe that you already have."

"Piss off, Potter. I can do it," Thalia tried to say confidently as she slid away from James' embrace boldly.

This time, Thalia had finally managed to slide across the ice herself, and she couldn't be more happy and free as she glided across the Black Lake.

James clapped and cheered from behind her, hyping her up. "See? Wasn't so hard after all wasn't it? I'm a good teacher aren't I?"

"Yeah yeah, whatever Potter."

"Oh come on! You gotta admit it! I like to think that I'd make a good Professor."

"Oh, James..." Thalia chuckled, shaking her head as James grinned.

"I'm going to race you," Thalia suddenly said boldly.

"What?" James asked.

But before he could even blink, Thalia was long gone, and James scrambled to keep up, but much to his surprise Thalia was incredibly fast. Of course he didn't doubt her-and never would-but it was quite ironic, seeing as how she was so terribly nervous earlier. Now she was as bold as ever as she laughed heartily while skating across the slippery ice with James following her airy laughter.

And this was one of the reasons why James loved her so much. She was so cool-headed, yet so bold and confident at the same time. And whenever she doubted herself, she always had managed to prove herself wrong every single time. As much as he adored her, he hated the way his heart flickered at the sound of his name leaving her lips, and the effect that she had on him.

But that was just how love worked, right?

***

A/N:

I just realized all of the stories that I want to write are Marauders... except for the ONE Harry Potter one and this one...

Sometimes I imagine JSP to be the original JP because I don't like Next Gen oops (probably because there's too many characters and children to fact check-it took me forever to get down everyone's ages, what years they attended, and what houses they were... and I couldn't even find a dedicated house for some of them so I had to make them up...)

Marauders and Golden Era is just easier yk, but no Gen Z humor so ew. But then I have no clue how people talked or acted in the 1970s and 1990s... I know it sounds silly, but like what slang did they use and such?