Chapter 31

31 - WALTZ THE MATTER

***

THE two walked in through the ferociously tall wooden doors of the Great Hall, both nervous about their solo opening dance.

James could feel Thalia's palm start to sweat, and he brought her hand up and kissed it lightly, giving her a look of reassurance which Thalia was terribly grateful for.

The crowd of students awaited patiently as the two made their way to the dance floor.

James put one of his hands around Thalia's waist and took her other hand and stretched it out. Thalia put her other hand on his shoulder and looked at him with an anxious look.

James noticed that her nerves were not residing and leaned in slightly to her ear. "We got this. It's just a one-two-three rhythm and moving in an L-shape. If you still can't get it, just follow my lead," he whispered.

Before Thalia could give James a response, the music started to play, and James glided Thalia into a waltz to the slow dance music.

Thalia was a tad bit shaky at first, and slowly she was starting to get the hang of it. He had even twirled her around a few times, and although she wasn't perfect, the dancing itself wasn't too terrible. But of course, she spoke too soon, and her lips parted in shock as she let out a small squeal when James abruptly picked her up by the waist and spun her around.

"Well wasn't that fun?" James whispered as he continued on with the dance.

"Of course, of course," Thalia lowly said back.

"Not as fun as the other night though, yeah?"

"Fuck off."

"No swearing on the dance floor," James chuckled.

Then several of the professors joined in with Thalia and James, with several other students following behind.

After several more music changes and dances, James and Thalia both decided to take a break and left the dance floor as they made their way to the food.

"My feet hurt," Thalia groaned as she looked down at her heels.

"We have to stay all the way to the end for both cleanup and the speech." James huffed. "Just a little while more is all."

"You're a good dancer by the way." Thalia said as she took a sip of her drink.

"Thanks."

"Where did you learn? I mean from what I have heard, your father is a terrible dancer. And your mum is a badass Quidditch Star. There's no way she would ever teach you how to waltz."

"I learned by watching YouTube, I guess. I have a lot of time on my hands."

"James Potter learning to dance willingly? Really? I find that hard to believe. You learn something new everyday, I suppose."

"There's a lot of thing that you do not know about me, Scamander." James winked.

"Then please enlighten me on what I don't know."

"Hm... well... you know Tosspot Clarke?" James prompted. Thalia hummed in twosomes, nodding her head. "Well remember when he blew you off? Yeah uhm well... that was sort of Lysander and I's fault. We maybe sort of sent him a note threatening him to back off of you."

Thalia spat out her water and set down her glass of water on the table.

"Look, Thals! I'm really really sorry! Sorry sorry! Please don't be mad! Over protective brother moment yeah? Jealous lover moment? Don't kill me please! Kill ur brother for all I care! I am too handsome and sexy to die! This good of a man in bed shouldn't die just yet! Shit! Bad joke! Wrong timing! Just kidding! Don't kill me! It was a long time ago! Plus Clarke deserved it yeah? He's a jerk!" James panicked.

Thalia took a deep breath as she closed her eyes. "I am just going to kill someone. Be right back."

James panicked as Thalia stormed off into the crowd, and eventually she came back with Lysander pulling him by the ear.

"I'm sorry! He's a Tosspot! I don't let my sister date Tosspots! Thals I love you please! You are my favorite sister-shit you're my only sister-never mind-don't kill me please!" Lysander pleaded.

Thalia shoved him out of her grip as he knocked into James who stumbled at the sudden contact.

"Ow..." Lysander grumbled as he rubbed his ear in pain.

"I would totally be pissed-not that I am slightly mad-but Clarke is a total jerk, so I guess I'll let this slide." Thalia said.

"Oh my Godric! Thank you Thalia! I love you so so so so much! Thank you forgiving me and James-"

"-But now you two have to let me punish you because bullying isn't okay."

"Say what?!" James said wide-eyed,

"Oh nothing at all," Thalia grinned mischievously as she took her wand from the pocket of her dress and summoned a permanent marker.

"Thals... what are you doing..."

"I like to doodle."