Chapter 19

19 - FIRST DATE

***

THALIA strolled up right up the the entrance gates of the castle to find James already eating there for her.

"Hello, James," Thalia smiled.

"Ready to go, Thals?"

Thalia nodded, and he grabbed her gloved hand to pull the blonde girl closer to him, as he lead her all the way down to the village.

The snow from Christmas still covered the floor making the cobbled roads slippery and deadly, and the two shuffled down the street in a comfortable silence when suddenly Thalia slipped on a sheet of ice causing her to stumble. Thank goodness that James was holding her arm, and as she regained her balance she smiled sheepishly up to the chuckling Gryffindor.

"I know that you're already falling for me, but you don't have to be so literal," James laughed, steadying the girl as he moved his arms to drape across her shoulders instead.

He lead her to a pink building which Thalia immediately recognized as Madame Puddifoot's. Thalia never understood why the ship received so much backlash, but she didn't particularly mind it even though it definitely was not her style.

"I never expected you to take me out to Puddifoot's." Thalia said. "And I never knew you were such a hopeless romantic." She added.

"And please enlighten me on what's wrong with Madam Puddifoot's?" James asked. "There's a certain charm here, don't you think? It's cute, I suppose. All the couples come here anyway."

"Cute. Sure, if you wanted to throw up," Thalia said, "How about we just head over to The Three Broomsticks instead?"

"You sure?"

"Positive."

"Alright then-The Three Broomsticks it is then. Anything for the lady, am I right?"

He then lead her to the pub and opened the door for her, chivalrously letting her inside.

"How about you go grab us a booth, and I'll go get us some drinks?" James suggested as they both joined the endlessly long line of awaiting customers.

"Oh, but what about my drink. I can't pay if I go grab a booth."

"Oh no, Thalia. Allow me. It's a date after all."

"How very gentlemanly of you, Potter."

"I am quite the charmer, aren't I?"

"Hah-hah... very funny," Thalia said as she sarcastically rolled her eyes, before leaving James to go save a booth for the both of them.

After a bit of waiting, James walked over to their booth, carrying two large jugs on warm golden butter beer. The amber drink steamed slightly, as the cold white foam on top shook around as he carefully placed the two bottles on the table surface.

"Thank you, James. It was very kind of you to pay for them both," Thalia said, as she dragged the jug closer to her to grab a sip.

"It was absolutely no problem, Thals." He paused. "Look I just really wanted to say 'thank you' for finally giving me a chance after all these years. I cannot tell you how happy of a person I have been and I am now ever since you asked me.

Thalia felt a puddle of guilt beginning to pile up in the bottom of her chest.

This was all just a stupid dare.

But Thalia liked him back...

So was this really fake? Was she really playing with his heart if she loved him back?

She shook the odd feelings away, and she smiled at the ecstatic Gryffindor boy, "Me too, James. I am glad that I did ask you."

"Does this mean you like me now?" James asked. "Sorry! Sorry! I shouldn't have asked you that. I'll let you take your time!"

Thalia laughed, and the two continued to sip on the warm butter beer in a comfortable silence.

But Thalia stared that the boy whom she fancied in front of her with the guilty feeling still swimming around in her stomach. James was undeniably an attractive boy, and he had always been loyal to Thalia-just Thalia. And for years and years, she had constantly broke his heart, yet he continued to stay loyal to her. It was a wonder how he was not a Hufflepuff. And now, Thalia had to complete this stupid dare, which she wasn't particularly fond of, and to complete it, she had to break his heart, yet again.

"What?" James asked nervously just now realizing that Thalia had been staring.

Thalia snapped out of her trance when James had called her out, and she scratched the back of her neck sheepishly at the fact that she had been caught.

"Nothing," she smiled at the boy.

"Nothing?" James quirked a suggestive brow.

"Nothing. You're just cute-is all." Thalia boldly replied.

James smiled and shook his head at the stunning girl that sat in front of him. "You're totally in love with me. Good thing I'm into blondes." He winked.

"What's that supposed to mean?" Thalia asked as she knitted her eyebrows in confusion.

"Nah, sorry. Tiktok humor. It's an audio. The one that goes 'Nah, I'm into blondes. Later.' It was on this show called Victorious. Sometimes I forget you don't have muggle inventions at your home."

"I'm sure this clock humor sounds great."