lvii. The Twist Of Fates

Elle looked up from the book she was reading and greeted him with a smile as he sat down next to her in their Spanish class and curiosity sparked within him when he read the announcement written on the whiteboard

Lover Project. He bit his lips, remembering everyone in Spanish 3 would have to do an annual project for Valentine's Day. The Lover Project was a way for people to spread love and awareness throughout the halls of the school.

"Are you excited for the Lover Project?" exclaimed Elle, closing her book, "I am."

"Yeah, I'm kinda excited for it," nodded Percy. "I have seen some pretty cool projects from previous years before."

"Me too," smiled Elle, then she asked, "Hey, do you have a Valentine for this year—I assumed you do, right?"

"Yep, Annabeth's my valentine," Percy sheepishly laughed, "Well, I still have to ask her if she wants to my valentine, but I'm pretty sure she'll say yes."

"I think so," Elle chuckled, "I mean, if she says no, I'm here you know."

Percy laughed, "Noted."

Elle giggled, "Well, this is your first year having a Valentine, Perce, yay!"

Percy raised an eyebrow, "Have you been stalking me for the past three years, Elle? How do you know this is my first year having a valentine?" 

Elle's eyes widened and she laughed, "Oh, no! That's just creepy. I heard from others in the past years that you always never accepted anyone's confession—you know a lot of people have a crush on you, right?"

"Oh, yeah," chuckled Percy. "I usually fourth wheel with Leo in our friend group during Valentine's Day because he doesn't have a girlfriend."

"Well, you have left him to seventh wheel during this year's Valentine's Day," Laughed Elle. "Poor Leo."

"Yep, poor Leo."

Percy was about to ask Elle if she had a Valentine for this year when their teacher, Señor Vulcan started class and began explaining the lover project.

"...this year's Lover Project is going to be due next Friday—in a week from today. You may have to do it outside of class but you will have enough time to complete before Friday or on Friday. Is everyone clear on that?"

They all nodded and Señor Vulcan continued, "You guys probably know that this is a partner project—if you were curious, my wife chose your partners, not me—anyways, let's start announcing them!"

"...Percy Jackson and Elle Montgomery," Señor Vulcan laughed. "Oh, how perfect, you guys are already sitting next to each other! No need to move!"

Elle and Percy looked at one another and laughed then smiled.

"Why is it that we're always paired up together?" asked Percy. "I mean, I don't mind it, but you know, what are the odds?"

Elle shrugged, and a playful smile formed on her face. She said, "I don't know, maybe the world is just trying to get us closer...we'll never know."

[originally published on 2/5/21.]

[2/5/21] author's note! Hi! I hope everyone is doing good and had a amazing weekdays! I miss you guys!! <33 I'm very excited for you guys to read the next couple of chapters because it's so refreshing and I personally enjoy writing it! I have so much planned for this week and next week's chapters—I like to call this the, Mini Valentine's Special Act, where it's going to lead up to the 14th of February! Updates are hopefully going to resume normal this week so look out for that! That's all, thank you for reading and have a good day/night! Much Love, Lucinda! 💙