xxviii. Mother Knows Best

When Annabeth eventually came home from Percy's (after her dad convinced her to), Helen and her dad awaited her in her bedroom—with no response regarding Percy and her dating, merely nonchalant expressions that Annabeth couldn't decipher

When Annabeth eventually came home from Percy's (after her dad convinced her to), Helen and her dad awaited her in her bedroom—with no response regarding Percy and her dating, merely nonchalant expressions that Annabeth couldn't decipher. They didn't say about she could or could not date Percy (that she needed their approval to date); instead just wished her goodnight and told her that they were still discussing. 

Her worries and anxiety kept her awake that night and she alternated from checking the time on her phone and staring at the ceiling. What if her dad and Helen forced her to break up with Percy? What would happen then? Would they break up? Would they secretly date behind their backs? She doesn't think that's what Percy wants. It's not fair to him. So, do they break up? And Annabeth then would have to see him every day and know that he's not hers anymore. But they promised one another. They loves each other more than anything. Her cheeks became cold and wet as she quietly sobbed till her head hurt and her heart ached.

It was around 1:27 AM when Annabeth got up from her bed and quietly headed to the kitchen for a midnight snack; she halted, hearing her dad and Helen's voices from their bedroom.

"Helen, Percy makes Annabeth happy. Have you seen happy she is whenever she was with him? I haven't seen her grin so much! They should date! I know you're just worried that it might distract Annabeth from her studies, but she always get good grades. Also, Percy is a good kid, I trust he won't break her heart, we—you would have nothing to worry about, Helen."

Annabeth softly smiled at her dad's words, feeling tears threatening to stain her cheeks, and reminded herself to hug him whenever she could. She was glad that her dad supported Percy and her's relationship—she knew he would.

"But, I do, Frederick. Besides, the reason I want Percy and Annabeth to break up is not because it might distracted her from her studies. I know she's very smart and a very capable young woman—I know that she wouldn't ruin her grades for a boy!"

"It's because Annabeth and Percy has dating for at least an month and they have known each other since September—that like three months—and they're saying they're in love?" Helen scoffed and Annabeth bit her lips, "That's bullshit, I don't believe it. This is both of their first time dating! They have never experienced real love! How can they—how do they knows it's true love? I'll bet everything right now feels like heaven to them, but what will happen when the honeymoon phase is over? Huh?"

Her dad had stayed quiet, so Helen continued, "Percy is a absolute gentleman and sweetheart! I can also see how happy he makes Annabeth! And I would totally let them date if it wasn't for the fact that they're eventually going to break up soon—high school relationships never lasts—and neither of us wants to see a broken-hearted Annabeth."

Helen fell quiet then spoke after a few seconds, "I know you and Annabeth think I'm cruel. But I just think it's better if they do break up now before they get their hearts broken when they realized they had fallen out of their so-called love or they were never really truly in love. I think that's more heartbreaking than if they broke up now—I mean, if they did, it's just going to be a lot of crying, but they'll hopefully realize that if it was for the better."

"I..." he sighed, "I think you're right, Helen."

Annabeth bit her lips to stop herself from outright sobbing as the streaming tears shimmer in the dim hallway light and she quietly rushed into her bedroom, understanding that she and Percy were going to have break up.

[originally published on 11/22/20!! my birthday!! <3 thank you for your birthday wishes! :)]

[11/22/20] author's note! Hm, you better pack an umbrella because the storm is about to hit-it's going to rain soon and you have to prepare yourself when it happens ;) If anyone cares, it's my birthday and though when I login in tomorrow morning-it's will no longer be my birthday, but anyways, I hope everyone had a good weekend! Just more two days of suffering till I reached thanksgiving break...! I'm excited-I have a lot planned out for this book! Hope everyone has a good week and thank you for reading! Till, next time! Much love, Lucinda! 💙