ix. It's a Date

ix. It's a Date

On Wednesday afternoon, Annabeth shivered from the cool wind as she and Percy walked to his apartment from after school; she silently cursed herself for only wearing a long sleeve and jeans when she felt a jacket draped over her shoulders and she ...

On Wednesday afternoon, Annabeth shivered from the cool wind as she and Percy walked to his apartment from after school; she silently cursed herself for only wearing a long sleeve and jeans when she felt a jacket draped over her shoulders and she glanced at Percy.

"You're cold, aren't you? Wear my jacket, you'll be warm."

His cheeks were red from the cold? from giving his jacket to her? she wasn't sure.

"Are you sure?" Annabeth's cheeks tinted red and he nodded, "O-Okay, thank you, Percy."

The aroma of lavender, fresh apples, and orange blossoms overwhelmed Annabeth as she put it on then smiled at Percy who softly gazed at her, causing her heart to race.

"So, we're going to Central Park, right?" asked Annabeth.

"Yes, we are. We loves going there during fall and I think you're going to love it too! You're going to fall in love with Manhattan even more," he exclaimed, gazing around the city.

"I already think I did," she softly gazed at him and said when his curious eyes met hers, "I fall in love with Manhattan every day, it's just so gorgeous."

Percy softly smiled then frowned, "My hands are cold, Annabeth."

"Oh?" she instinctively touched his hands, "Oh! They are."

"Yeah," he then cheekily smiled, "Can you warm them up?"

She chuckled, her heart fluttering, "Yes, I can."

Annabeth reached for his hand and intertwined their fingers—his sea-green eyes glistened and he beamed.

"Our hands fit perfectly. I guess my hands were created to only hold yours."

As soon as Percy and Annabeth stepped inside his apartment, Estelle tackled her into a hug and she laughed at Percy's pouty expression.

"Someone's jealous..." smirked Annabeth.

"Hey, leave me alone! Estelle gets a hug from you everyday and honesty, I'm jealous of her!"

"What?!" laughed Annabeth as she let go of Estelle. "You're jealous of your little sister? Would you like a hug then?"

"Actually, I would."

Before Annabeth could respond, Percy enveloped his arms around her and she quickly became flushed, wrapping his arms around her.

"You smell nice," Percy mumbled into her hair then let go of Annabeth and cheekily smiled, "I want a hug every time we see each other."

Annabeth rolled her eyes and chuckled though her heart fluttered, "You're being greedy."

"I know," he grinned then looked at Estelle and exclaimed, "Shall we now go to Central Park? We don't want to miss our bus."

"Yes, let's go!"

They walked around Central Park and sat down at Bethesda Terrace; Annabeth excitedly listened to Estelle talked about how she wanted to be Little Mermaid or a pirate for Halloween,

"What are you dressing up as for Halloween?" asked Estelle curiously, "You're never too old to dress up!"

"You are not," laughed Annabeth then shrugged, "I'm not sure what I want to dress up as—I was just planning to stay home for Halloween."

"But that's no fun," Percy frowned, "It's going to be your first Halloween in Manhattan and you're staying home? Boring! You need to experience Halloween in Manhattan!"

"You do! It's so, so, so much fun! You should join with Percy and I this year for the annual Halloween parade in Greenwich Village!" exclaimed Estelle and Annabeth laughed, "Please! It would be so much fun!! You'll love it."

"I would love to go with you guys, thanks for inviting me," Annabeth softly smiled.

"Of course!" Estelle then beamed, "Hey, Annabeth! Percy told me that homecoming is near! Are you going with anyone?"

"No, I'm not—"

"Oh, that's good! Because Percy has been meaning to ask you if you—"

"If you want to go to homecoming with me?" Percy sheepishly finished, blushing.

"Oh? You're asking me to homecoming?" Annabeth's cheeks flushed and her heart fluttered, "Am I the girl you wanted to go to homecoming with? Am I the..."

"Yes, you are," he softly smiled, "You're the special someone who I want to homecoming with—I really like you, Annabeth. And I was planning to ask you on Friday, but you told me that you were said you were going to ask out someone tomorrow and I...I don't think I can watch you dance with someone else."

"I like you too, Percy, you're very sweet and cool," she beamed at him, "I...I would love to homecoming to you, Percy."

"Really? What about the boy you were going to ask to homecoming tomorrow?—"

"I'm going to homecoming with him."

[orignally published in late October 2020.]

[October 2020] author's note! It's been a horrible week for me so we're going to pretend that this week never existed-anyways, a chapter of fluff and low-key friend zone from our gal pal, annabeth chase!! I already have some ideas for the next couple of chapters ready and y'all going to hate me-but don't think about it too much ;) Here are some chef kisses and mwahs for you for reading this book and hopefully you will join for chapter ten! Much love, Lucinda! <3