viii. How to Be a Heartbreaker!

Percy Jackson was a heartbreaker

Percy Jackson was a heartbreaker. He had rejected countless girls' invitations to homecoming and his explanation was that he was hoping to go to the dance with someone special. Annabeth's heart fluttered, recalling his shimmering eyes and his soft smile when he said that, as if he was referring her as his special someone that he wanted to ask out. If so, Percy still haven't asked her out.

Annabeth was probably being delusional, but she had a feeling that Percy likes her! Because, these days, Percy was openly flirting with her and constantly complimenting her; she has now caught him staring at her multiple times in deep thoughts and whenever their eyes met, he blushed with a sheepish smile. But even then, he still hasn't told her about his feelings and Annabeth sometimes stayed up past midnight thinking about whether she confess to him or not.

Her heart sank, thinking about how he would kindly rejected her like he had done to every other girl who asked him out, however, a smile always formed on her face as she dreamed about their dates around Manhattan.

"Are you ever going to ask that special someone to homecoming?" Annabeth asked Percy as they walked to the bus stop.

By now, Manhattan had welcomed autumn and the orange, red, and yellow leaves were falling; the cool October afternoon wind blew strands of their hairs around and as they walked past shops and cafes, the aroma of pumpkin greeted them.

Percy glanced at Annabeth with a small smile, "Yes, I am. I'm going to ask them this Friday."

"O-Oh, really?" her eyes widened and she blushed when he nodded, "W-Well, good luck, Percy, I hope they say yes."

Annabeth's heart raced. She had to ask Percy out to homecoming before Friday—before it's too late.

"Me too!" he grinned, "Anyways, are you going to homecoming with anybody? Wait, wait, wait, are you going to homecoming? Please tell me you are."

Annabeth laughed at Percy's frown, "I am, don't worry, and no, I'm not going to homecoming with anybody."

"Alright," Percy nonchalantly nodded then raised an eyebrow, "Do you want to go with someone?"

"Yes," Annabeth blurted out and she flushed.

Percy's eyes widened in surprise, "Oh? Do I know them?"

She bit back her chuckle and nodded, "Yes, you do know him."

"Oh?? Are you planning to ask them out soon?" he bit his lips.

"Yes, I am," Annabeth then frowned, "Percy, are you alright? You look panicked."

"Y-Yeah, I'm fine," he reassured then asked, "When are you planning to ask them to homecoming?"

"This Thursday?" Annabeth suggested with a shrug and sighed, "I hope he says yes. I'm going to be very sad if he rejects me."

Percy furrowed his eyebrows, "Who would reject you? You're Annabeth Chase! You're kind, very pretty, and smart! He would be a dumbass to say no to you."

"Thanks," Annabeth softly smiled, "Likewise, the girl who you're asking to homecoming would be stupid not to say yes to you. You're Percy Jackson, you're a dream."

"Thanks," Percy blushed then sheepishly said, "Um, hey, I was thinking about something and I've been to ask you this."

"Hmm?"

"Would you like to go to homecoming with me?—as friends?—if the people we're planning to ask says no to us?"

"Oh?" her eyes widened in surprise at the proposal then she nodded, "Sure, let's go together—as friends—if we get rejected."

There was two outcomes from Percy's proposal and she liked both of them: she goes to homecoming with him as a one, couple or two, as friends.

But, that's only if the person who Percy wanted to ask says no to him! Oh, Annabeth really hopes they say no.

[formerly tilted "Blushing Mess" && originally published on 10/13/20.]

[10/13/20] author's note! hi, I also forgot about homecoming because you know, we're not having one this year lmao, but I have to put in it here so yeah so enjoy what would have been ✨ homecoming 2020 ✨in the next couple of chapters-I have another percabeth idea that I wanted to write but I don't know if anyone would read it so leave your opinions, please!!! Anyway, mwah to you for reading this chapter and sending some positive vibes to you!!! Much love, Lucinda! 🥰