xlvii. Talk & Talk

xlvii. Talk & Talk

The hallways bustled with laughter and chatter as people greeted one another in the new year and talked about their winter break

The hallways bustled with laughter and chatter as people greeted one another in the new year and talked about their winter break. A small, anxious smile formed on Annabeth's face as she entered her new semester class—creative writing—and said hello to Mr. Blofis then quickly found a seat nearby the window.

While Annabeth waited for the bell rang, she texted Thalia (who had returned to California for college) and bit back her laughter. Annabeth then glanced up, feeling a tap on her shoulders, and her eyes widened at Elle Montgomery.

(Annabeth remembered how Percy had informed her that Elle also had creative writing class and they could sit together—she quickly changed the topic as a response.)

"Hello, Annabeth! It's super nice to see you!" Elle greeted her for the second time in the day (the first time was in the morning when Annabeth was with Percy and the girl wanted to speak to her boyfriend), "Can I sit here?"

Though Annabeth wanted to say no and tell the girl to sit elsewhere, she nodded with a polite, strained smile and watched as Elle sat down next to her.

It wasn't that Annabeth didn't like Elle, but she was just very, very annoying and was too fond of Percy for Annabeth's liking (she recalled their interaction at the cafe).

"Percy told me we can be one another's buddies for this class as you probably don't have any friends here," Elle simpered, "Hmm? Do you?"

Annabeth leered and pursed her lips at Elle, not understanding or appreciate the girl's patronizing tone, then she glanced around the room to see anyone familiar and her face faltered when she didn't.

"Oh, it's fine, don't be embarrassed, Annabeth! We can be besties!" Elle giggled, "I bet Percy will be happy if we were! He told me we have a lot in common such as writing, reading, and drawing! He talks about you a lot—like a lot! I can tell he really likes you."

Her heart fluttered, knowing Percy still expressed his love for her even when she's not with him, and Annabeth softly smiled.

"Aw, you're smiling! Isn't that so cute? You guys are so cute! You're so lucky! He's such a gentleman!" Elle gushed and Annabeth uncomfortably smiled.

Had anyone else said that to her with a affectionate, genuine, kinder tone, she would have definitely been blushing, but she felt like there was malicious laced in the girl's words.

Perhaps, Annabeth was overthinking it? She means, Elle was nice and everyone deemed the girl as a sweetheart, but the girl did have a thing for her boyfriend.

Her heart dropped when she walked into her physics class and found out that her teacher had changed the seating, but kept Percy and Elle next to each other.

Annabeth watched as the girl squealed when she realized she hadn't change seats and Percy laughed and Annabeth couldn't help but frown.

As if Percy could feel her gaze, he turned to look at Annabeth and smiled at her, causing her mouth to curve into a smile, and they lovingly stared at each other—till, Elle nudged Percy with pout and he looked away to talk to the red-haired girl.

Annabeth furrowed her eyebrows and bit her lips. Oh, Aphrodite, what are you trying to do?

[originally published on 11/6/20 && formerly titled Colors.]

[11/6/20] author's note! I'm going to keep this short-stay safe and we paint this town blue! Much love, Lucinda! 💙