i. Percy Jackson Fanclub

For the past five minutes, Annabeth Chase stood outside Goode High School with distaste in her mouth but anxiety and curiosity gleaming in her eyes

For the past five minutes, Annabeth Chase stood outside Goode High School with distaste in her mouth but anxiety and curiosity gleaming in her eyes. Laughter and squeals nearby caused her to look away from the old, historical building, and Annabeth sighed, watching groups of friends head  inside the school with smiles. She, however, stayed behind.

Instead of starting her senior year with her friends in a school, she knew like it was the palm of her hand, Annabeth was spending it at a new, unfamiliar school in Manhattan all alone. With no friends, college applications in the fall, and graduation in May, senior year was definitely going to be fun (no, not really).

Annabeth knew she would have to eventually go inside (after all, she could NOT be tardy on the first day of school), but dreading the anxiety that awaited her behind those big glass doors, she sat down at a nearby bench with her Airpods on and Taylor Swift playing on Spotify at a low volume and watched as the time and students passed.

"Isn't it weird that we're having an assembly first thing in the morning, Elle?" a blonde-haired girl frowned at the red-haired girl beside her, "I mean, I'm not complaining, because classes are shortened. But, really? It's seven in the morning on the first day of school and yay, congrats to Percy Jackson or whatever, but I'm tired, I don't want to be cramped in the bleachers, and it's probably going to be loud as hell. Ugh, I hate this. I can't believe you're actually excited about this."

The red-haired girl, Elle, sheepishly smiled, "Well, it's going to be the first time I'll see Percy since school ended and I missed him so much. We texted several times over the summer, but that's not enough, Catrina. I need to see his adorable smile and hear his voice and laughter or else, I'm going to go crazy."

Catrina chuckled at a blushing Elle, "Oh my gosh, Elle, you're so lovesick! Are you ever going to tell him you're in love with him?"

"I dunno, Catarina. I don't think he likes me like that," Elle sighed, "But I do want to confess to him one day..."

As the two girls walked by, Annabeth pretended to inspect her brand new Converse, not wanting to be caught eavesdropping, then frowned when they were gone.

Percy Jackson. She frowned at the familiar name and then recalled the email that she had received from the school about a surprise assembly at the beginning of the school day for Percy Jackson, the 1st place winner for the New York State Swim and Dive Championships for the second time. Annabeth was very impressed by this, but no offense to Percy Jackson (whoever he was), she, like Catrina, was tired and was not excited for the assembly.

With a sigh, Annabeth got up to head inside before she was tardy when she realized the jet-black-haired boy who was sitting on the end of the bench. When did he sit down?! Her eyes widened, studying him: he wore black trousers, a baby blue hoodie with Goode High School Est. 1997 on it, and slightly dirty sneakers.