iii. Adventures in Babysitting

Annabeth Chase was late fifteen minutes to her babysitting duties for the Blofis's family

Annabeth Chase was late fifteen minutes to her babysitting duties for the Blofis's family. She was never late, but volleyball practice ended later than usual and she was now anxiously waiting outside the apartment for the door to open. Her eyes then widened in surprise when Percy Jackson and she curiously smiled at the boy.

"I thought you were going out with your friends, Percy?" she raised an eyebrow, forgetting about her apology she had mentally prepared for Mrs. Blofis.

"Well, I did promise you at school today that I would say hi to you before I left, didn't I?" he cheekily smiled then explained, "Well, my mom left for her meeting with her publishers about ten minutes ago and I already told you earlier that my dad isn't coming home till ten because of the girl's golf game and I can't really leave Estelle home alone, so...yeah, you alright?"

"Yeah, I'm fine," Annabeth nodded then sheepishly smiled, "I'm sorry that I'm late! I promise I'll try not to be late if your mom do ask me to babysit again."

Sally, Percy's mom, knew Annabeth's stepmom, Helen, from PTA at the twins and Estelle (Percy's little sister)'s elementary school and had asked Annabeth to babysit tonight about a week ago and she tried to subdue her excitement when Helen informed her that Sally had a son who also attended Goode High School and too was a senior and his name was Percy Jackson.

Over the past three weeks, since the incident on the first day of school (which everyone soon realized they were not dating!), Percy and Annabeth become very close and though she and Percy had different interests and personalities, they enjoyed each other's company very much throughout the school day (as they did have many classes together).

"Don't worry, it's fine," he reassured then stepped inside, "C'mon in! How was volleyball practice?"

"Good," Annabeth walked inside and softly smiled at the baby pictures on the wall then beamed, "It smells very nice—did you guys made chocolate chip cookies?"

"Yes, we did!" Percy beamed and Annabeth followed into the kitchen, "My mom made it for you as a thank you gift."

"Oh! She didn't have to! Thank her for me, please!" Annabeth's eyes then widened in surprise as the little girl with pigtails greeted her, "Hello, you must be Estelle! I'm Annabeth! You're look so adorable!"

"Thank you! You're very pretty!" grinned Estelle then offered her a blue chocolate chip cookie from the plate on the counter, "Do you want a cookie? It's very good!"

"Yes, I would love one!" Annabeth then thanked Estelle and exclaimed after multiple bites, "They are very good—yummy!"

"Don't eat them all," laughed Percy, grabbing a cookie, then said, "I'm going to go out, alright? I'll be back before 8pm! I'll probably be the first person to come home. The instructions are on the fridge and make your self at home, Annabeth!"

"Alright!" she and Estelle followed Percy to the door and exclaimed, "Have fun!"

"Thanks, you too!"

With that, Percy left and Annabeth looked at Estelle, hearing her name being called, and raised an eyebrow at the girl's cheeky smile.

"You know, Annabeth, Percy talks about you a lot."

For some reason, her heart fluttered and Annabeth laughed, "Oh, really? What does he say about me? Hmm?"

"He tells me about how smart you are, how funny you are, and how pretty you are—Percy always tells me how you pretty you are. I think he likes you, Annabeth!"

[9/20/20] author's note! I hope this chapter wasn't too long! I usually write very lengthy chapters, and I don't know if anybody likes lengthy chapters, and I could obviously cut back the number of words for each chapter if you guys don't like it! The ending for this chapter was a tad bit depressing, but Annabeth's relationship with her family plays a huge part at the end of this story, so yeah! Also, I have a few things to say thank you for the support of this story-it means a lot to me and just thank you!! And I think I have an updating schedule for this story, Sunday or Saturday, as I tended to have a lot of free time during these two days, so probably one of those! Though I have like seven books write on my other account, those books don't spark joy as this one, so that's that! Thank you for reading! Much love, Lucinda! <3

[8/12/21] author's note: When I said that I write lengthy chapters, I really meant it—You'll get it when you reached Act 3 & 4. I can still say that Annabeth's family plays a huge part in the end (👀) Also, seven books to write? I discontinued those books months ago, and this is probably the only book standing from that time, haha. The other books really didn't sparkle joy. Anyways, I edited this chapter, and hopefully, it's much better than before! I hope my new readers enjoyed it! Thank you for reading, and have a good day/night! Much Love, Lucinda! 💙