xlii. Evermore

xlix. Evermore

Annabeth was excited today

Annabeth was excited today. First of all, she, Percy, and Estelle were going ice skating and second, Taylor Swift just released her 9th album "Evermore" out of nowhere (she spent her morning listening to it with Percy in evening at a cafe and loved it so much).

"I can't pick! I love all the songs on it but if I had to chose....it would be champagne problems," she answered after Percy asked her what her favorite song was as they walked to his place, "Yeah, I love champagne problems."

"That's a good song though quite sad," he smiled, "I really like dorothea: it's such a cute song."

"It is," Annabeth then squealed, thinking about the plans later today, "I'm so excited for today! It's going to be so much fun."  

"It will and I am excited too," he kissed her cheeks, "I'm so happy that you're joining us for our yearly tradition: you're apart of the family, everyone loves you."

Annabeth blushed, "I'm glad that they do. I don't know what I'll do if they didn't like me."

"Likewise," he sheepishly chuckled, "Imagine if your parents didn't like me and forced us to break up? I don't know what I would've done: I mean, I love you too much to break up with you, but I don't want to get you in trouble either."

"I honestly don't know what I would've done if they forced us to break up: I don't wan to think about a universe where we could've broke up," her smile faltered then kissed Percy, "Well, I'm glad that they allowed us to be together."

"Me too," he softly smiled, squeezing her hand

After they picked up Estelle, the sky was already dark; they took a bus to downtown to Rockefeller Center, passed the Christmas tree, and arrived at the nearby ice skating rink and put on their ice skates.

When Annabeth stood up, she was wobbling and Percy quickly caught her before she fell and she clung onto him as they walked to the ice rink.

Though Annabeth was nervous (she has never skated before), she smiled at twinkling lights that lit up the dark night, laughing kids, and grinning people. 

Estelle turned around to face Percy and her and squealed, "I love ice skating with Percy during winter!! It's my favorite thing! I'm so glad you're here, Annabeth!"

Her smile softened, "Me too."

Estelle beamed and got on the sink. Annabeth's eyes widened in amazement as Estelle skated beautifully and Percy chuckled at her expression and explained that Estelle has been ice skating for four years now.

"Wow! She's amazing!" Annabeth exclaimed.

"She is," he then sheepishly admitted, "I've also been ice skating for five years now."

A grin formed on Annabeth's face, "Really?! That's so cool!"

"Yes, it is," he nodded then cheekily smiled, "Shall we skate? I promise you as your semi-professional ice skater teacher, I'll make sure you won't get hurt and if you do, I'll take care of you afterwards."

"Alright..." Annabeth responded with a half-smile.

She clung tighter to Percy—basically hugging him from behind—as they slowly skated around. Her cheeks flushed from embarrassment as she watched as little kids flawlessly skated and from Percy's warmth.

"Annabeth, are you planning to ever let go of me?

"No, never," she mumbled.

He chuckled, "Well, I have no complaints—I love this position—but I think it'll be more fun if you let go of me and try to skate on your own. Do you want to give that a try?"

Annabeth bit her lips and nodded, "Sure, I would like to."

She unwrapped herself from Percy and instantly grabbed his hand and they skated around the rink, laughing. A small, soft smile formed on her face as Percy carefully twirled her around then kissed her.

"You're doing great, I'm proud of you," Annabeth's heart fluttered and she sheepishly grinned.

They continued skating and Annabeth wished she could stay in this moment forever: light twinkling, cool breeze that felt amazing against against her flushed skin, ears buzzing from laughter and cheers around, hands intertwined with his. This felt like a fairy tale: a dream come true.

Her gaze fixated on Percy and Annabeth watched with a soft smile as strands of his hair swayed in the wind and as his eyes shone with amazement as he looked around.

It was late into the night when they decided to go home; the streetlights shone on them as they did.

"Did you have fun, Annabeth?" asked Percy with a small smile.

"Yes, I did," her smile softened, "Let's do this next year again, Percy."

Even though it wasn't as romantic, sentimental, or lovey-dovey as saying I love you, her words was still as heartfelt and meaningful: it implied when next winter arrived, she and Percy will still be together, something that they both knew may or not happen.

A small, lovingly smile formed on his face and he intertwined their fingers, "Yes, we shall."

[originally published on 12/11/20 (with the main goal to promote evermore). ]

[what a cute chapter!!! :')]

[12/11/20] author's note! Is this chapter a whole ploy in getting you guys to listen to Taylor Swift's new album: evermore? Yes-go listen to it because it's amazhang and come back to this chapter with your favorite song off of it! Along with a whole poly, this chapter is to fulfill Estelle and Percy's tradition of ice skating from chapter thirty five (Lush Life!!) Props to you if you remember because I honestly forgot. I hope everyone had a good week and franktastic Friday!! Thank you for reading and have a good day/night! Till next time-Much Love, Lucinda x 💙