xiv. It's Nice To Have A Friend

On a weekend in mid-October, Annabeth, Percy, and Estelle drove to Randalls and Wards Islands early morning and a smile formed on Annabeth's face as she listened to Estelle sing along to Taylor Swift while gazing lovingly at Percy

It was Annabeth's first time visiting the islands and her heart raced in excitement. She still can't believe Helen and her dad had allowed her to go to on the trip, but they really like Percy and Estelle and also wanted her to have fun. Annabeth was definitely going to have a good time.

Annabeth's eyes shone with amazement when they finally arrived and they traveled around the island; Percy then took her to Estelle's and his favorite cafe for some refreshments.

Annabeth quietly chuckled and wiped the chocolate eclair icing on Percy's chin with a napkin, causing him to sheepishly blush.

"You're so adorable," she laughed, "No wonder why everyone at school wants you."

"Well, too bad for them, I'm already yours," he cheekily smiled.

"Yes, you are," Annabeth blushed.

Though she and Percy weren't officially dating (they haven't asked one another to date, but they basically were), everyone knew they were clearly more than 'just friends' with them holding hands and kissing one another—so, she guessed they were currently friends with benefits which she didn't really mind.

"Does everyone at school know you guys are dating?" asked Estelle.

(Annabeth and Percy had told Estelle and his parents that they're dating, but, they still aren't girlfriend and boyfriend yet.)

"Uh, kinda?" Percy then frantically nodded, "No, no, everyone does knows."

"Oh! Are they happy? Because I am!! You two are so perfect for each other!" exclaimed Estelle.

Annabeth shrugged with a chuckle, "I mean, uh, our friends are happy and there are some people who aren't happy, but most people don't really care which is good because it's not their business."

"Why are there some people who aren't happy?" frowned Estelle.

"Because," Percy answered, "They're just jealous that they're not Annabeth Chase—the most beautiful girl in Manhattan."

"Oh, that's understandable," nodded Estelle, "But those girls should know that they're also beautiful too. Mommy told me that people that are mean and are bullies, they're...what's the word...? Oh! They're just insecure."

"That is true, Estelle," Annabeth then softly smiled, "I have a feeling that you're going to be a wonderful woman in the future."

"Thank you, you too," beamed Estelle, "I just want to be just like you, Annabeth, when I grow up! Smart, beautiful, and kind!"

Annabeth patted the little girl's head, "You're such a angel, Estelle."

Estelle quickly gasped in surprise and she exclaimed, "I know what I want to be for Halloween! An angel!"

"Oh! That would be very cute! I like that!" Annabeth commented.

"Me too!" Estelle beamed, then asked, "What about you guys? What are you guys dressing up as for Halloween? Are you guys matching?"

"Uhhh—" she and Percy glanced at each other.

"You guys have to dress up! It's Halloween!" she exclaimed.

"We are dressing up," Percy reassured, "We're just not sure what to dress up as."

"I might to dress up as Sailor Moon, but I don't know what Percy would dress up as if we're planning to match? Luna?" Annabeth chuckled.

"Aw, that would be cute!" laughed Estelle, "Percy, you can be Tuxedo Mask! You almost look like him!"

Annabeth looked at Percy and exclaimed, "They do like similar!! The only difference between them is that Percy doesn't have blue eyes. Percy, you would look cute as Tuxedo Mask, but of course, you don't have to dress up as him."

"No, no, I would love to dress up as him," he smiled, "Because you would be my Sailor Moon and she's very cool, but you're way cooler, Annabeth."

"I doubt that, but thank you," chuckled Annabeth, "Mhm—!"

Percy had fed her a chocolate-covered strawberry then pecked her lips.

"How delicious," he simpered and she blushed.

Afterwards, they headed to Randall's Island Urban Farm for apple picking and their laughter filled the air as they walked around orchard.

"Hey, Annabeth!" yelled Percy and she looked at him, "Catch!"

Though Annabeth was startled, she had caught the apple he had thrown at her and she looked at him with, confused.

"What was that for?!"

Percy grinned, "You love Greek mythology, you should know.

"I...! Percy Jackson!" she was dumbfounded; her face had gone red and she bit back her grin, "Do you know what it means?"

"Yes, I do," he nodded then blushed, "It means marriage proposal, right?"

"That's what everyone thinks it means, which by the way, you're really asking me to marry you? Ask me next year and I might say yes," laughed Annabeth, "Throwing a apple was a ploy at seduction in Ancient Greece, meaning it merely means you want to have sex with the person who you threw at."

"Oh." his face was flushed then he smirked, "I mean, it's technically not wrong."

Her breath hitched as Percy kissed her neck and she muffled her giggle and playfully shoved him away.

"Keep it in your pants, Jackson."

He only teasingly smiled.

It was evening when they arrived at the Blofis's apartment, beaming and with multiple bags of apples; Annabeth stayed for dinner (Sally's cooking was delicious) and afterwards, Percy walked her to the bus stop to home.

Annabeth glanced at the strawberry sherbet sunset  and she smiled, "Isn't it pretty?"

Percy  nodded, "It's pretty but not as pretty as you."

Annabeth rolled her eyes and blushed. They then began talking about nonsense and she couldn't stop smiling at Percy—she would be lying if she said that Percy didn't make her feel giddy like he was some drug that she was addicted to.

The two halted when they reached the bus stop and they looked at each other.

Every time Annabeth looked at Percy, his sea-green eyes would shimmer—like the sea within them only glittered for her. She could stare into those ocean eyes and get lost in them.

"I can see the ocean in your eyes," Annabeth said softly. "It's peaceful and so pretty."

Annabeth watched as the tips of his ears reddened and he softly kissed her cheeks and tucked a strand of her hair behind her ear. And at that moment, Annabeth swore she could have drowned in them, and she would have been fine with it.

[originally published on 10/29/20! && formerly titled as Long Way Home like after the 5SOS song lol.]

[10/29/20] author's note! The ending of this chapter has a dear place in my heart as I had come up with the ending before the book even started so it's so crazy to see it written and everything like that-I am not going to say anything due it hasn't happened but I love you guys and I'm like freaking out about this book hitting 1k like I'm so thankful and I can't even explain it with words. Thank you and expect updates throughout the weekend! Much love, Lucinda! 🥺💙