35. A way into darkness

"Please stay strong and take care of yourself," the clique members were all hugging him tightly before leaving the school building, only Hoseok had stormed outside without sparing anyone a glance

He hasn't said a word since Jungkook has met him yesterday, maybe still in a too big shock after the news of his best friend's death, but it was Jungkook who has lost it all, his world, his light, his beloved boyfriend.

"In case you need anything just call we will come to keep you company," his friends were worried, all assuring they're here for him when the last thing Jungkook needed was pity.

"It's ok, I'll handle," he muttered wishing for them to disappear quickly.

They were still turning around for many times so he was faking a painful grin waving his hand robotically.

The main square in front of the school became quiet as they have been the last leaving when a car engine broke the silence, a police car was approaching. Jungkook placed his hands in the pants pocket of his school uniform walking downstairs, but the car stopped right in front of him.
The man who came out was the same detective who has brought him the news about Jimin death two days ago.

"Do you have a moment to talk?" he asked opening a small notebook.

"I'm going home," Jungkook's voice was sharp, of course he meant that total chaos of the dormitory room, the only roof above his head, as it has been the scholarship money paying for his tuition, as some people believed he had some talent.

"It won't take long," the detective was watching him as if he indeed was guilty of something.

"Did Jimin have any enemies? Has he been bullied or threatened by someone?"

The question crumbled the hair on Jungkook's head.

"Everyone adored Jimin, why are you asking nonsense like that?"

The man was looking him straight into the eyes as if trying to read some hidden truth out of them.

"There have been fingerprints found on Jimin's body," he said when Jungkook felt as if someone has punched all the air out of his lungs.

"What do you mean?" His voice cracked.

"Boy, just breath and think harder, who has had a motive? Who has hated Jimin so much?"

Jungkook shook his head, there was really no one he could think of, everyone loved Jimin, he was the private sun of their clique.

"There's no one I can think of," he whispered.

"Ok, if something comes to your mind, here's my card, contact me immediately."

Jungkook took the card hesitantly watching the man retuning to the police car.

"Detective," something came to his mind so he ran towards the car. "Who's fingerprints have you found?"

The detective's face seemed to have aged in seconds.

"We're still investigating the case, but... the fingerprints belong to Jung Hoseok."

"What?" Jungkook was watching the detective unable to understand, he might have heard something wrongly, right?

"The evidence in indistinguishable so far, so we are still collecting information. Please contact me in case anything comes to your mind," the detective nodded getting into the car to leave.

Jungkook was standing there frozen, shuttered to the core.

Hoseok has been Jimin's best friend for years, how could he.

The images of Hoseok as if embarrassed, hiding behind Jimin's parents at the funeral, not saying a thing to any of them since Jimin's death, leaving the ceremony first were coming back in speed. Jungkook's fists closed, his mid blurred out by pure fury and hate.

His steps were rushed on his way back to the dormitory. The pieces of the broken mirror still scrunching under his leather shoes when he came in. The room had been a total mess, as he had demolished everything he could get into his hands at the first outburst. Jungkook ignored, changing quickly into his usual black oversized clothes, covering his head with a hood before going downstairs to the basement kitchen.

A boy was cooking some late dinner but Jungkook pretended he is looking for some bowls and chopsticks, his heart beating like crazy when his fingers closed on the knife the boys have been using to filet fish for sashimi. The other boy hasn't ever noticed what he has carried outside, back to his room to use a stone he had found along the ocean when Jimin had taken him for a beautiful weekend down south in the country, when there had been just the two of them, nothing but love, pleasure and serenity, not like now, a boy sharpening a knife along the stone, hiding it in his pocket to cast his scattered mirror reflection one last glance, his eyes carrying death.

There has never been a road so dark in Jungkook's life, each steps heavier, each stop of the night train raising anxiety, but the fury was pushing him forward. Empty like a ghost town, was the posh neighborhood he entered like a shadow walking up a hill along huge fences of villas, billionaires and celebrities were hiding in. His hands trembling when he stopped at the crossing looking towards Hoseok's hose and the still lit up window of his bedroom while sending out a text.

'I'm on my way to yours, need to talk, will be there in five.'

He wondered if Hoseok has received his message as he never replied. A car with darkened windows passed by so Jungkook rushed through the street towards the gate placing his gloved hand on the board pressing the code Jimin had given him, as Hoseok's house had been a good place for secret meetings.

The lock sounded, so Jungkook pushed the gate rushing inside, closing his palm on the knife, it needed to be done swiftly and precisely even though he has never done anything like that, but Hoseok deserved death, for what he has done he deserved a painful death.

Thank you so much for your feedback. What do you think about the chapter? Jungkook's way to Hoseok's house, how will his story continue?

Much <3