Meaning of Family (Happy Birthday Kaikoku Onigasaki - Feb 3, 2020 -)

Type of story: Short story (no reader insert)
Written by: @rikkaxira4ever
POV: 3rd person
________________________________

"Kaikoku-san!" Iride called out.

"Happy.. Birthday!!" Him and Kaikoku's other fellow members shouted out.

Kaikoku looked at them and laughed to himself, "Jeez, guess it's my turn for birthday treatment."

"Congratulations Kai!" Yuzu exclaimed, giving him a hug.

"C-Congratulations-!" Himiko timidly spoke out, holding up a homemade cake

"Thanks guys, I appreciate it." Kaikoku said, returning hugs back to all his friends that were surrounding him.

"19, huh?" said Iride, clapping a hand on his shoulder. "How's it feel?"

"Eh, not as different as being 18." Kaikoku merely shrugged.

"Jeez, not even the slightest bit of excitement on your birthday?" Anya scoffed.

"Sorry to disappoint." Kaikoku smiled sheepishly, "Birthday's are mostly indifferent for me."

"Aw come on Kai," Yuzu frowned, "loosen up a bit! Have some fun!"

"Yeah you gotta look forward to at least something." Karin pointed out.

"Well, I guess time will tell then." Kaikoku said, trying to leave it aside.

The let's players continued to spend the rest of the day with their planned festivities. All hanging out together, laughing, having fun and overall having a great time in celebration for Kaikoku.

While evening rolled around and everyone was mingling, Kaikoku was caught in the midst of Yuzu giving him one of her signature hugs, while having Iride join her. In the corner of his eye, he met eyes with Zakuro hanging out in the back, holding a drink, to which Zakuro looked away, embarrassed that he was staring at him. It seemed Zakuro wanted to talk to him.

Kaikoku excused himself from the group and walked towards the appetizer table where Zakuro was stationed.

"Yo, what's got you so riled up?" Kaikoku smirked while standing beside him, helping himself to a drink as well.

"I-It's nothing like that-!" Zakuro denied, looking away from him once more, "I was just... thinking.. is all."

"Oh?" Kaikoku turned to him, looking at his hand while swishing his drink around in his glass. "Gosh, and I thought I was the one looking like I wasn't having fun."

"Like I said.. It's nothing like that, Onigasaki.."

Kaikoku sighed and advanced towards him, putting a hand on the table by his arm, "Come on spill, if you have something to say just say it."

Zakuro backed up, caught off guard, "S-Spill what?"

Kaikoku raised a brow and gave him a teasing smirk, "Well you tell me. You're the one who clearly has something to say."

"I-I-" Zakuro sighed, having nothing to back him up.

He placed his drink down and turned towards Kaikoku, sticking out his hand to him.

"I.. just wanted to properly congratulate you

Kaikoku stared at him and bursted out laughing, "God, what's with the formality? You sound like my dad on my wedding day."

Zakuro huffed in annoyance and turned away from him, "I knew you would say that.."

Kaikoku placed a hand on his shoulder, "Relax relax, I was only kidding. In all seriousness, that's.. really sweet of you."

Zakuro turned around and looked into his eyes, "Y-You mean it?"

"Yeah, I do." Kaikoku slightly grinned at him,

Zakuro softened his expression went over to the middle of the room, leaving Kaikoku by the table. He looked at all his friends, goofing off like the kids they are, Kaikoku couldn't help but smile. He really did feel like such an older brother to all of them, especially since Zakuro is always tagging alongside him like an annoying little brother,

To Kaikoku's surprise, he doesn't really mind the company. Maybe being raised in a well off family with no siblings while being respected for the majority of his life kinda gave the impression that he was unapproachable. Even the maids that worked in his household would often have a hard time approaching him. For all he knew, he wasn't even that close with his own family. But he found himself really comfortable with these seven. To this day, he hasn't found a clue why.

Maybe they just work together because they can all relate with one another. Especially since they have been forced into this life/death simulation so they haven't got much of a choice but to stick together.

Rule number one of the Onigasaki household: Never abandon the family name.

Quite the contradiction, since he was the one who was abandoned by his own family. But, Kaikoku wouldn't have it any other way. To him, these seven are his family.

Kaikoku smirked to himself as he watched his members in the room.

"Guess I broke the rules then."

________________________________

Bit of a delayed birthday chapter, but wishing Kaikoku the happiest birthday! I hope you guys enjoyed this little chapter for him. I've been doing these birthday chapters for a while now, so of course I had to make one for Kai XD

Stay tuned: Chapters for Himiko, Karin and Zakuro's belated birthdays will come out as soon as I can!! With school and everything, these stories were put on old for a bit. Apologies for that.

Stay safe guys!