Day 1: Holding Hands || KaiZakk

Type of story: Flufftober Entry (no reader insert)
Written by: @rikkaxira4ever
Warnings: Some swears
POV: 3rd person POV

"Come on, we seriously had to go outside for the today's game?"

"Well it can't be helped, let's just get a move on. Or else we'll be here all night."

It was a chilly autumn evening and everyone just finished a game that took place in the forest. They were on their way back to the tower to collect the chromosome they earned.

"It's freaking freezing outside!!" Anya complained as he rubbed his arms, in hopes of getting warm. "I swear that alpaca is literally trying to kill us.."

"Well it is October now, Anya-kun" said Iride, "Winter is right around the corner, but I mean, don't you just love it out here? The leaves this time of year are just so beautiful!" He cupped his hands and held them out as leaves of various orange and red flutter into his palm.

"Autumn is the season of change after all!" Yuzu mused and held a burgundy red leaf she was holding up towards the setting sun as she walked.

"Whatever, It's still cold..!" Anya groaned.

"So much for that aesthetic." Yuzu said to herself.

"Well when we get back, let's have something warm!" Himiko suggested.

"Ramen! Bread!" Iride shouted out ideas.

Karin narrowed her eyes, "You seriously need to eat better."

The eight gamers continued to walk along the forest. The trees that were once so green when they first arrived now crimson red and mustard yellow, up in the cedar trees and scattered over the grass.

Behind everyone were Zakuro and Kaikoku, trudging along, following their teammates. Zakuro stared at the colourful ground. So many different colours and shades. If he counted them all, it would take him forever.

He glanced to his right. Beside him was Kaikoku looking straight ahead, quite focussed. Zakuro stared at him, trying read the grim expression on his face.

"Something wrong?"

Zakuro snapped back into reality and realized Kaikoku was staring right at him. He didn't even realize how long he had been looking at him.

Red from embarrassment, Zakuro looked back down. "N-Nothing..!! Nothing at all.."

They all continued to walk some more. The sky turning from a sunset orange more into a purple indigo.

"Looks like it's getting late." said Yuzu, she turned around to face her comrades, "Everyone! Be sure to stick together. We don't want anyone getting lost. Use the buddy system if you really need to."

"Ooh! Anya-kun, Anya-kun! Wanna be my buddy?" Iride asked excitedly.

"Dumbass.."

"Then that's a yes!" Iride happily grabbed a hold of Anya's hand. Judging by Anya's expression, he clearly did not mean 'yes'

Zakuro looked over at Kaikoku once more, "Hey Onigasaki, d-do you.. by any chance wanna.. hold hands..?"

Realizing the question he just asked him, Zakuro quickly added, "Y-You know, cause it's getting pretty late out and.. we don't wanna get l-lost or anything..!!"

What!? What am I even asking him!!? He's totally gonna take this the wrong way!!
Zakuro thought.

Kaikoku merely looked at him. Before he was gonna answer, Zakuro intervened.

"N-Never-mind-!! It's not.. it's not important.."

"Okay then." Kaikoku replied casually.

The two resumed walking, hearing the CRUNCH of the leaves underneath them with every step.

Time passed and a gentle cool breeze brushed over them which made Zakuro's skin slightly crawl. He let out a shiver and wrapped his jacket around himself tighter.

When Zakuro put his hand down, he suddenly felt something warm slip into his hand and between his fingers. He turned to see Kaikoku's  hand interlocking with his.

Zakuro looked up at Kaikoku, "Oni..gasaki..?"

"What? You were the one who wanted to hold hands so much."

"I-It's not what you think-!! I j-just thought-

"Jeez, stop making such a big deal. It's only awkward if you make it awkward."

"B-But I-

"Look, do you wanna hold hands or not? I can always change my mind."

Zakuro said nothing. They started to walk once more in silence getting closer and closer to Genome Tower as they did.

At that moment, Kaikoku started laughing.

"W-What's so funny..?" Zakuro asked.

"You're face is so red. You sure you wanted to do this?" Kaikoku laughed.

"I- I just didn't want anyone to get lost-!!" Zakuro protested, blushing even harder.

"God, I didn't think you were so needy." Kaikoku smirked.

"I-I'M NOT BEING NEEDY!!"

The two continued to walk on, Kaikoku still laughing at poor Zakuro, red from embarrassment. Still hand in hand, leaving the fall foliage behind them.

________________________________

And there you have it!! Day: 1 is officially complete! Hope you guys enjoyed that little oneshot of Kai and Zakk. I thought this kind of scenario would fit these two best with Zakuro's awkward personality and Kaikoku teasing him in response to that XD

Thank you so much for reading! Stay tuned for tomorrow!! ^^