That Monochrome Evening (Happy Birthay Yuzu Roromori - Oct 31 2020 -)

Type of story: Short story (no reader insert)
Written by: @rikkaxira4ever
Warnings: Spoilers for those who haven't finished the manga
POV: 3rd person

A/N: Just wanted to let you all know that this story takes place right where the manga left us off (so chapter 48) with the current events still kept in mind. Okay on with the story~

________________________________

It was a quiet evening, and we are brought miles away from Genome Tower. Into the depths of the forest, which had now looked like a dark thicket. Most of the leaves on the trees have all fallen off by now and were scattered on the grass, radiating somewhat of a crimson glow with the help of the moonlight.

In the heart of the forest rested a large plant, enveloped and wrapped in vines. With a very bright centre, illuminating a white glow. There, Yuzu stood.

Yuzu approached the large flower and grabbed a hold of one of the loose vines, gently caressing it into her cold hands. She smiled slightly and wrapped her arms around the plant's bright core.

"I'm here." She whispered comfortingly, "Oneechan."

The girl looked at the plant, as if waiting for an answer. As expected, there was none. But this didn't seem to faze Yuzu in the slightest.

"Do you know what day it is?" Yuzu asked. Once again she waited in silence for the plant to respond in her imagination. "That's right, and I'm going to be right here, spending it with you."

She put her back to the flower, still holding onto the loose vine guardedly. She gazed up at the pearl white moon that rested in the sky, amongst the clouds. The stars being shared by the moons glow, all working together to light up the night.

Looking at all this reminded Yuzu of her former teammates and the fun they all used to have together. How they would work together to achieve their goals, just like those starts above did.

How fast that all had changed..

....
"EXPLAIN YOURSELF AKATSUKI!!"
"[ Akatsuki ] isn't here anymore.."
"What is the meaning of this?"
"Let's retreat! Onigasaki!"
"Wait Yuzu-senpai! Yuzu-senpai!!"
...

Now were the memories of their last encounter together that flooded Yuzu's mind. She looked down at the scattered dead leaves on the ground.

Well, they all must hate me now.. Yuzu thought, Ah well.. it was bound to happen sooner or later..

Her eyes grew grim at the thought of her old comrades. All the memories and wonderful times they shared. Countless games and challenges they faced together..

For as long as Yuzu could remember, she was always being judged by others. Whether that be for her skills, or how different she was from others. This didn't particularly bother her so much. She had pride in her talents and always felt happy when she was praised. What more so burdened her was the fact that she was always alone.

Now because of the current situation, it didn't seem quite so different from before. Once again she was back at square one. The little girl was alone once more.

Yuzu looked up at the moon again, wearing a dazed yet focussed look as she studied the small craters that were visible from wherever she stood. So close yet so far away. She felt quite the same with her own personal goal.

She tightened her grip on the thin lifeless vine, longingly, in her hand.

What's more important is that one day.. one day we will bring Oneechan back..

- - - - -

"Yuzu? Yuzu are you here?" came faint voice from behind her. Knowing who the owner of that voice was didn't make it quite so faint to Yuzu for much longer.

She turned slowly to see Iride standing by a nearby tree. He looked the same as she remembered from the time they had first met. No, not the time they all first arrived here at Genome Tower when Iride recognized her and happily greeted her. Not that. Way before then. The time she met the real Akatsuki.

"Akki.." she said quietly.

Iride smiled, a more cunning, cool smile. Much different than that fake forced smile in disguise. "I need you for something. I wish to discuss the game plan, preferably with you and Hakamori-san."

Yuzu nodded as Iride took off. She set the vine in her hands down gently.

That's right, she wasn't alone again. In fact, she could care less about Karin and the others. She had the one whom she cared the most for by her side. The one who was Akki. She couldn't ask for anything more.

Yuzu faced the plant behind her once more with a grin, "I'll be back soon, Oneechan. Akki needs me."

After a silent goodbye, Yuzu turned away from the plant and was on her way, catching up towards Iride.

And it was that, that monochrome evening, the little girl had returned back to her happy place.

___________________________

And there you have it! Hope you guys enjoyed that oneshot for Yuzu's birthday XD I really wanted to write about something more up-to-date with the manga (although now Iride is kinda being a an a-hole-)

BUT nonetheless, I hope you enjoyed it! Happy Halloween to those who celebrate and I hope you have a safe one! ^^