Happy Endings 2 - Daniel Ricciardo

Months after Monaco you're getting ready to graduate. You slide on the dress you chose before shrugging on the gown provided by the school. After a deep breath and one last look in your mirror you walk into the living room to where your friends are waiting. The three of you take some pictures via the timer on your phone camera and then walk out the door of the apartment to get to the ceremony on time. In the car you look through the pictures smiling at how well they turned out, you send them to your friends before posting a few on Instagram. The likes roll in and the congratulatory messages from friends, family and formula 1 drivers that you still talk to appear in your direct messages. You decide that you'll reply to everything once the ceremony is done and you finally get the diploma you've been working towards for the past five years.

Half an hour later you're sitting amongst your classmates, a graduation cap on your head as you watch the stage where scrolls are getting handed to new graduates. You feel like you will never get your own scroll as hundreds of names get called so your mind wanders to other things, like the party you planned with Fiona and Leia once the ceremony finishes, the thought makes you smile looking forward to blowing off some steam with friends and family. Your neighbour nudges you making you come back to the present, "our turn" he mumbles, you nod and a few people around you stand to make your way up to the stage.

"Y/F/N Y/L/N Bachelor of Arts, Photography" you smile as the dean of your program hands you the pretty scroll, "congratulations, now smile for your family" you turn slightly towards the crowd of relatives finding your family. As you scan the crowd your gaze freezes on the familiar brown eyes and curly hair of the man you didn't think you'd see again, "Y/N" you blink looking back at the dean, "sorry wanted them to get the best picture" she nods and you take the paper standing to the side as the other graduates on stage accept their diplomas. Your mind swirls with a million thoughts trying to come up with a reason that he would be here, in the end you tell yourself that you hallucinated and your mind was just playing tricks. You walk off the stage minutes later keeping your eyes on the ground as you go back to your seat where you zone out for the rest of the ceremony.

••••

You're outside an hour later, Fiona and Leia huddled around you. "I can't believe we did" you say as you look down at the real diploma you got at the end of the ceremony, "they really had us in the first there, but we kicked butt in the second" the three of you laugh at Fiona's statement remembering the meme it care from. "Thanks for getting me through this guys, I love you" Leia says, we smile telling her the same before falling into a group hug. "Y/N" you pull away at the voice to see your parents a few steps away, you grin before running over your gown flapping in the wind as you do so. "Congratulations sweetheart" your mom says before pulling you into a hug, you smile into her, "thank you, I couldn't have done it without you guys" your dad joins the hug making you giggle as you're sandwiched between them. "Okay now lets get some photos of you three" my mom tells you as you pull away from the hug, you nod and walk back over to your friends who are talking to their own families. You drag them over for pictures bringing your arms around them while posing for your mom's photo. As you take your cap off for the next round of pictures Leia nudges you, "is that who I think it is?" She asks while tilting her head in a certain direction, you look the way she tilts her head and gasp quietly eyes wide, "what do you want us to do babe?" you gaze locks with his and you bite your lip trying to decide what your next course of action will be. "Keep then busy, I'm going to talk to him" Fiona nods and I give them my cap before making my way over to the Australian race car driver.

Daniel gives you a small smile as you get closer, his hands in the front pockets of the pants that he's wearing. "Hey" you say when you're close enough, "hi" he replies, "what are you doing here?" he hangs his head, "trying to fix this thing between us" you bite your lip while watching him. After a few seconds of silence he lifts his head again, "shouldn't you be in Monaco training?" he shrugs, "I came here for the weekend, someone that matters to me is celebrating a milestone" you look away from him your gaze focused over his shoulder on the families celebrating with their graduates. When Dan takes your hand you focus back on him, "we're having a party tonight, it's gonna be family and friends, you should come, it'll be fun" you tell the Australian with a little smile on your face, he squeezes your hand and gives you a big smile, "okay, i'll be there, same house as before?" you nod, surprised that he remembers your house, he brings your hand up kissing your knuckles gently, "see you later Y/N" he says and walks away into the crowd.

Fiona and Leia come to either side of you linking your arms, "I invited him to the party" you mumble, "so is everything okay between you two?" Fiona asks, you shrug, "I don't know, but he came all the way here for me, that must mean something good" Leia tugs at my arm, "come on lets go set up and then get you all pretty for Daniel" you smile and the three of you walk back over to your families to finish up at the school.

••••

Hours later you're shimmying into the figure hugging blue dress you chose for the party. You move closer to the mirror swiping on some bright red lipstick before running your fingers through the curls in your hair. When you're done you smile and walk out of your room to go join the party that is already underway. Fiona and Leia spot you first squealing before running over, "wow you're a babe, marry me?" you laugh at Leia's statement before hugging them tightly, "we did it" you mumble they nod when you pull away from the group hug. "He's outside" Fiona tells you, you bite your lip thinking about the Australian, "I'm so predictable" you say, your friends laugh and push you towards the door leading to the backyard.

A warm gust of wind greets me when you step outside, your gaze finds Daniel who is leaning against the railing on your deck, his back towards you. The heels of your shoes click on the wood deck as you walk making him turn to look at you. "Y/N" he says, you smile as you stop in front of Daniel, "wow you look amazing" you blush while biting your lip, "you look pretty great too" he smiles at you and you step closer to him. "Dan" you say as he places his hand on your waist, "I miss you Y/N" he tells you, you smile up at the Australian, "I miss you so much" you reply placing a hand on his chest, "I want to do this right with you" your finger moves along the fabric of his dress shirt, "I've wanted that since the beginning" the hand he has on your waist curls to your lower back pulling you even closer, "what do you say darling? give me another chance?" your hand that was on his chest moves up to his shoulder then to the back of his neck "yeah I can get behind that" he smiles and presses his lips to yours. You pull away for a second, making him pout, "promise that we'll put the effort in?" he smiles, "I promise, I already made a schedule of my races and we can plan vacations and visits around them" you pull his lips down to yours not wanting to worry about logistics until later, enjoying the moment in your backyard with the man that you love.