Golden Hour - Daniel Ricciardo

After a particularly tough day at work you decide to take a drive. Your mind isn't set on one specific place as you get further out of the city. Something pulls you towards the coast where water meets land and the sun reflects off the water like a painting. Once you've found somewhere to park your car you let your hair down with a smile, kick off your heels and throw your blazer into the backseat. You take your keys and phone while stepping out of the car, quickly grabbing some spare Flip-flops from your trunk before making your way closer to the water.

At the railing overlooking the water you lean forward and close your eyes while taking a deep breath, feeling all of your worries disappearing in an instant. You curl your hands around the railing before stepping onto the first rung nearest the ground a smile coming to your face as you feel the breeze pushing your hair back. "Watch out" a deep accented voice says, you open your eyes in surprise, "wouldn't want you to fall" it adds making you turn your head. You see a guy leaning against the railing a few feet away from you his gaze locked on yours, "maybe that was my goal" you reply, surprising yourself at the flirty tone in your voice considering how shy you tend to be around strangers. He chuckles which makes you blush, "I still would've gone in after you to make sure you were alright" the stranger explains, the Australian accent now recognizable to you. "That's awfully nice of you since you don't even know me" he steps closer and smiles, your heart fluttering at the expression, "I'm Daniel, and my mom raised me to save pretty girls when they're in trouble" you smile back, "I'm Y/N, my mom raised me to be independent and to not rely on a knight in shinning armour" he lets out a laugh which makes you laugh as well.

When you've stopped laughing you turn your focus back to the water a calmness falling over you, unsure of its from the scenery or the unexpected company. "I'm happy that I came here tonight" Daniel says making you look over to see that he's already watching you, "me too" you reply shyly before sinking your teeth into your bottom lip, a nervous habit you can't seem to shake. "Maybe I'll see you here again sometime?" you release your lip to smile at the handsome Australian, who has somehow broken you out of your shell in a record amount of minutes, "yeah maybe". He directs another heart fluttering smile your way as he sticks his hands on his pockets, "have a nice night" he says, you nod and watch him turn around to walk in the opposite direction of where you came from. You stay by the water for a few more minutes a goofy smile on your face thinking about the dark eyed Aussie, not knowing how he managed to make you forget about all of your problems with only a few spoken sentences. You shake your head and go back to your car feeling doubtful that you'll ever see him again even if deep down the hopeless romantic in you is already imagining what your second meeting will be like.

••••

The next few weeks you don't find the time to get back to the spot where you met Daniel. You feel stupid for not getting any kind of contact information from him that first meeting. Your friends don't fail to mention your lapse in judgement whenever you whine about not having time to go to the special spot after work. On a Saturday evening when you've had enough of their teasing you leave the shared apartment to prove a point with one location in mind as you get into your car.

Once you're parked you adjust your messy bun and look in the mirror attached to the sun shade to make sure you look somewhat presentable just in case. You grab the keys and your phone before getting out and walking down the sidewalk that will take you to the familiar spot overlooking the water. The sigh that leaves your lips when you don't see anyone nearby makes you realize how much you want to see Daniel again. You stop before leaning on the railing closing your eyes while taking a deep breath the salty air you smell making the tension leave your muscles.

Suddenly a hand comes to your arm, your eyes snap open. Daniel is standing next to you with a smile on his face, before he can say anything you throw your arms around his neck, making him stumble slightly. He brings his own arms around you making you grin while burying your head into the crook of his neck. "I didn't think I'd ever see you again" you murmur while he lets you go, "me neither Y/N, I came a few times but you were never here" he says making you frown while hanging your head. "Work was super busy so I didn't have time to come" you explain feeling guilty, "it's just that way sometimes, am I right?" Daniel jokes which makes you giggle and look up again your arms still loosely around his neck while his hands stay at your waist. "Yeah you're right, but we're here now so let's make the most of it" he squeezes your waist gently and smiles, "I agree Y/N, we can't let this time go to waste" you nod up at him your gaze locked with his for a few seconds.

"OH!" You suddenly exclaim while moving your arm away from him to grab your phone, "my friends have been on my back because I didn't get your number so can I pretty please get that from you?" the Aussie chuckles while letting go of you to take your phone, his hand brushing against yours leaving sparks in its wake. You look down at your sneaker clad feet while waiting for him to finish, you curl your fingers into the sleeves of your sweater and bite your lip nervously. "Y/N" you look up to see Daniel holding your phone out to you with a smile, you swiftly take the device and slide it into your pocket again. He places his hands back on your waist to pull you closer, "so this job of yours..." he murmurs while lifting an eyebrow, "I'm a teacher" you reply with a smile, your arms going back to their spot around his neck, "you're truly doing god's work" you laugh which makes him do the same. "What do you do?" you ask the Australian while tilting your head curiously, his gaze moves to yours and you see the conflict in his brown eyes, "is it a secret?" you add jokingly while smiling, he chuckles, "no, it's just not a question people tend to ask me" he says. The statement confuses you, "I-wait-what?" you murmur, "i'm a Formula 1 driver" you blink a few times to process the information. 

"Wow, okay, so we have a lot to learn about each other" he laughs, "you've got that right Y/N, but i'm willing to stick around for that" you blush at the way he's looking at you, "but you barely know me, I could be some crazy fangirl" he shrugs, "worth it, I could feel that there was something between us that first time" you look at him and understand what he's talking about, a gut feeling pulling you to the Aussie like an invisible string. "All it took was meeting during golden hour on the coast of California" you murmur not letting your fears get the best of you. He slides his arms around you more to bring you even closer, your heart beat quickens as he lowers his head towards yours, "I think we lucked out" he replies quietly, you nod, "I don't plan to throw away that kind of luck" he smiles, "me neither Y/N, no chance" he murmurs before pressing his lips to yours. You tighten your arms around him as you feel your body relax into Daniel's embrace. The happiness in that moment has you believing that anything is possible and that all the waiting you've been doing has finally paid off; while you kiss the man you've only just met but feel like you've known all your life.