Crushing Doubts - Mason Mount

You're decently tipsy at the club that your mates took you to for your birthday. After some dancing and very unnecessary singing you decide to take a break and sit in the booth that you're sharing with them. They busy themselves with getting more drinks as you get comfy and stir the ice cubes in the beverage you've been nursing for the past half hour. What you don't know is that your mates have found your footy crush and convince him to come over to wish you a happy birthday. So when the two women come back to the booth with drinks and weird smiles on their faces you roll your eyes expecting something cheesy for your birthday.

It's when you're sipping your drink that they step aside to reveal Mason Mount. The beverage goes down incorrectly at the sight of the man you gush about constantly to your mates. You cough to try to avoid choking on your birthday of all days, and you can't help but want to sink through the floor at your amazing first impression. "Shit babe, this wasn't our plan" you glare at your mates who look you sheepishly, "we just wanted to give you the best birthday present yeah?" the uncertainty in her voice makes you sigh then finally look Mason in the eye. He has a concerned expression on his face and it makes you blush in embarrassment. "I didn't mean to startle you" is what he shouts over the music making you shake your head, "it's got nothing to do with you, it's these two that will be the end of me" you shout in reply, he laughs and the sound is way better than imagined. "Can I sit?" you furrow your brows then point at yourself, "with me?" he nods so you start to feel a little sweaty at the thought of your celebrity crush wanting to sit next to you.

••••

That initial shock and nervousness disappears as you get chatting with Mason. You quickly learn that he's just a normal guy from Portsmouth who happens to play his favourite sport for a living. The few drinks you consumed earlier have you trying to act extra flirty in the semi private booth. Amongst the attempts at flirting comes nervous rambling, and you can't tell of Mason's just being polite or actually enjoying your company. During an unnecessarily long story you cut yourself off, "shit I've done it again" you say then place a hand on his arm. "What've you done Y/N?" He replies while shifting closer to talk into your ear. "Made a fool of myself because of the rambling" he pulls his head back to look at you, "nah you're doing just fine" you blush when he smiles your way.

"Don't lie, I'm sure fans, especially the girls are always like this around you" he lowers his head in response, but you don't miss the slight redness to his cheeks even in the low lighting. "I try not to broadcast it" you realize that what is a joke to you might not be to him so you squeeze his arm feeling bad. "I shouldn't have said that, I'm sorry" you murmur so Mason lifts his head, he proceeds to shift his arm to be able to take your hand in his, "I guess it's kinda the running joke for footballers, they can get any girl, fans and all even if they don't want them". The tone of his voice makes you frown then feel guilty because you are one of those girls. Suddenly being this close to Mason feels wrong because of your silly infatuation, so you slide your hand away from his, "I need to go, thank you for coming over though" he lifts an eyebrow at the sudden change of mood but stands to let you out of the booth. "Are you alright?" you quickly nod in response, "I'm fine, just have to be somewhere tomorrow morning" he stuffs his hands into his cargo pant pockets, "well happy birthday, hope it was a good one" you smile slightly at the man you've dreamed of meeting before turning away to go find your mates.

When the three of you stumble out of the club you immediately take a deep breath. You then start pacing along the sidewalk with your fingers tugging at your hair. "Wanna tell us what happened?" Your mate asks then places a hand on your shoulder to bring you to a stop. "He's so sweet but doesn't know that I'm one of the fangirls that he would rather not deal with" she shakes her head, "y/n that's not true" you wrap your arms around yourself, "you didn't even know he was there tonight, those maniacs that call themselves fans would've gone into that club with the sole purpose of finding Mason and basically harass him for attention" she adds but your only response is to sigh. "Can we just go home?" you ask quietly while looking up at the two women you love like sisters , "of course babe, whatever the birthday girl wants she gets" you smile thankfully then wait in silence for the Uber that your mate ordered.