Single for the Summer - Pierre Gasly

It was June when you and Pierre decided to go your separate ways. Even though the decision was mutual you took it hard for a couple of days afterword. The bed became your favourite spot and your friends constantly checked in to make sure that you were okay. One day after what felt like weeks of moping you made the decision to enjoy your summer to the fullest. This made your friends happy and they began planning things for the next few months.

Fast forward to the heart of the summer and you're doing all of the crazy things with your closest friends. There were no regrets as you flirted with the many men you met at various clubs and at the resorts you stayed in for weeks at a time. The only time you thought of Pierre was when your friends took you karting, the familiar smell of fuel triggered the memories that made you smile to yourself. After the one time you don't give another thought to the Frenchman, at least for the time being.

Mid-way through August you started getting tired of the constant going out. The exhaustion obvious whenever you were at work. At night your thoughts went back to Pierre like an instinct of sorts. It took having several nights of the same thoughts before you went to your friends. You told them that you were tired and needed a break from the plans that were made to occupy your time for the summer meant to celebrate your single status. They understood and put an end to the constant partying while you told yourself you didn't need Pierre even though your heart told you otherwise.

••••

It's September now and you're standing outside of Pierre's apartment in Milan. The weight of what you're doing hits all at once, so you rub your sweaty hands on your jeans to rid them of the feeling. Your friends think that you're in Italy to meet up with someone from your past, but you didn't tell them it would be the Frenchman that somehow still has your heart. After taking a deep breath you knock the door, finding it funny to do so when you would just walk right in once upon a time.

When the door opens you're surprised to see a women you don't know instead of the formula 1 driver. You check the apartment number on the door wondering if you went to the wrong place. "How can I help you?" she asks so you furrow your brows, "I'm looking for Pierre?" you reply with a question. "Who's asking?" you sigh "Y/N...Y/N Y/L" you stutter so her eyebrows raise in what appears to be surprise. "I'll go get him" she adds then turns around letting the door close again. You start to think the worse of the situation in the silence of waiting for him, and you fidget with the rings on your fingers.

Before your thoughts can spiral even further the door opens. This time it's Pierre standing across from you. His blue eyes take you in and it makes you blush. "Y/N qu'est ce que tu fais ici? (What are you doing here?)" he asks so you shrug, "I missed you, I'm done being away from you, but I'm too late" you reply and his expression conveys sadness then guilt. "It just happened Y/N" he says quietly so you shake your head then smile, "I'm happy for you Pierre, don't you dare feel bad about it, she seems protective which is exactly what you need with some of those fans of yours" you explain trying to lighten the mood. The Frenchman smiles slightly, "don't sell yourself short chérie the fans adored you, and never failed to mention you when talking to me" your heart squeezes at the statement so you wrap your arms around yourself, "they probably love her too" you add but he only shrugs in response. You let out a breath then drop your arms, "I'm going to go, leave you to be with her" you say before he can say anything else that'll make you want to cry. In one swift movement you turn around then speed walk away from Pierre because you don't want him to have the time to read your expression, something that he always manages to do very easily.

When you get back to your place you go into the group chat to tell your friends the truth about where you went. After a lot of questions you break the news about Pierre's new girlfriend, your friends drop everything to come see you even though you try to tell them you're fine. In the time it takes them to arrive to your apartment you manage to dig yourself into a hole of doubt and sadness. They find you curled up on the couch with puffy eyes and tears still going down your cheeks. "I'm never getting him back" you say which makes your friends sit down to pull you into a big group hug. "You don't know that for sure" one of them explains but you shake your head, "we let each other go and I'm the one that showed up to ruin his happiness, isn't that selfish?" They hug you tighter, "you didn't know Y/N" another friend mumbles but you continue to feel awful about what you've done.

••••

The following week you're at home enjoying your weekend after a hectic work week. A knock on the door breaks you from you concentration while watching Netflix. Once you paused the show you get up to answer the door. When you open it you only have a split second to realize its Pierre before he presses his lips to yours in a heated kiss. After the initial shock your fingers slide up into his hair as his move down to your hips to walk you backwards into the apartment. The door shuts behind him as your lips move in sync as if not a day as gone by since you last kissed. You let him lead you to your bedroom where the two of you fall into bed, no mention of what happened a week prior only raw emotion taking over in the moment.

Later when you're laying together you focus on your fingers which are moving along Pierre's chest as his move along your bare back. The unsaid words linger in the air but neither of you want to ruin the intimate moment. Your phone starts ringing, the loud noise an annoyance in the silence but you start to pull away from the Frenchman. He catches your hand to stop the action so you look up at him, "don't go" he says quietly, you sigh but leave the bed anyway to go answer the call.

When you put on a shirt and hear your friend on the other end of the call it douses you with the reality of what you just did. Panic rises in your body as she talks about something you can't seem to focus on so finally you cut her off to tell her what happened. After some silence she tries to calm you down through the phone. "I'm not a cheater, this isn't me" you say desperately while pacing, "talk to him Y/N" she responds so you nod even though she can't see you, "you're right" she hums then you say goodbye. When you put your phone down you proceed to run your fingers through your tangled hair while taking a deep breath to prepare you for what's to come.

Back in the bedroom you see that Pierre hasn't moved from his spot on the bed. He has his phone out and is focused on the small screen with an arm behind his head, highlighting his bicep in a way that makes you want to drool. You push your desire to the back of your mind so that you can focus on what needs to be talked about. Pierre looks up at the sound of your footsteps, he smiles then drops his phone then the arm that was taunting you seconds earlier. You sit on the bed, trying to be as far from the Frenchman as possible, "viens ici chérie (come here)" he mumbles but you shake your head. He frowns so you look down at your lap, "we need to talk" you say then peer up to gauge his reaction. The worried expression on his face makes you drop your head. When the bed shifts you look up again, Pierre is sitting right in front you with a hand going to your knee. The familiar touch makes you smile sadly, "why did you come here?" you ask quietly, "I love you" he replies but you shake your head at him, "you can't tell me that after last week's surprise" he sighs then strokes your knee with the most gentle touch. "I know but when you left I wanted nothing more than for you to turn around and change your mind" he explains, "what about your girlfriend?" you add. "It's over" he says without hesitation, you can't help feeling doubtful and Pierre can tell so he takes your hand to kiss the back of it. "The fans never stopped asking about you mon amour" you furrow your brows, "I don't want you to make decisions based on me" he pulls you onto his lap and slides a hand under the tshirt you're wearing to stroke your skin, "I should've made decisions based on you, I should've went after you when you left Milan" you place a hand on his chest then move your finger along the gold chain of his necklace. "I tried so hard to be single but you had my heart and still do" he squeezes your hip so you look into those eyes that you love so much, "no more being single mon amour" you smile, "no more being single" you repeat in agreement. Pierre presses a soft yet meaningful kiss to your lips and it takes all of your worries away. A future with him evident after wanting him for all of those months apart.