Dating 102 - Mason Mount

"What if he's not who I think he is?" you ask your friend over FaceTime while getting ready for your first date with Mason. "But what if he's just as amazing as you think he is" she replies confidently with a smile on her face. You sigh then let go of the hoodie strings that you've been nervously playing with throughout the call. "I really really really don't want him to be like the other guys I find on dating apps" your friend moves closer to the camera, "front what you've told us he's better than all of those twats, trust your gut y/n but also trust your heart" you smile in response then swear when you check the time. "Gotta go, will tell you guys everything after" you ramble then hang up, not wanting to be late for your first date.

••••

When Mason insisted that you dress casual you didn't think he would take you to an arcade. You smile when you step out of the Uber and see Mason waiting. He stands straighter before he walks over, "it's about time we meet" you laugh then smile up at him, "whatever you say Mr international footballer" he chuckles then drops his head. "I regret telling you now" he mumbles but you place a hand on his arm, "I'm just teasing, let's go in there so that I can beat you at every game" you say making him lift an eyebrow, "challenge accepted" you giggle when he pulls you into the arcade.

You throw your arms up in celebration when the small air hockey puck glides into Mason's net. "That's a win!" you exclaim then dance around the table while grinning. He rolls his eyes but you see the small smile on his face. "You're so beautiful when you're happy so I can't even be angry" he replies which brings your dancing to a stand still as a dark blush appears on your cheeks. "Shut up Mase" you mumble. The smile widens on his face at your response, "you just called me Mase" you shrug not seeing the big deal, "so what? Doesn't everyone call you that?".

He walks over then finds your hand, "it sounds way better coming from you though" his fingers slide between yours before squeezing gently. "Do you say that to all of the girls in your life?" he brings your hand up to press his lips to your knuckles, "the only other girls in my life are my mum, my sisters and my niece, and they each have their own unique nicknames for me, so you're the only one I've said that to" you look into his dark eyes, which somehow effortlessly put you at ease.

"How do you do that?" he lifts an eyebrow in question, "do what Y/N?" you sigh then look away from him, "make my worries disappear with one glance" he smiles, "I guess I have a gift". You snort then try to shove him away, the key term being try when he doesn't budge but only brings you closer. You feel your heartbeat quicken at how close you are to Mason, his addicting cologne invading your senses. "That's the famous snort huh?" you blush at his question forgetting that he's never heard the embarrassing sound you make. "It's not famous, I certainly don't like telling people about it" he hums then gently tucks a stray hair that has fallen from your bun behind your ear, leaving goosebumps where his finger brushed again your skin. "Too bad, I've decided that it's one of my favourite things about you" he murmurs while his finger moves down your neck before leaving your skin completely, a sense of disappointment filling you at the loss of contact. "Tell me more about your family" you say breaking the tension that is definitely the sexual kind, Mason blinks at the topic change then smiles. He proceeds to drag you to the next game while talking about all of his siblings and his parents.

••••

By the time you two leave the arcade, more like are kicked out because of closing hours, you realize how much you actually like Mason. "Can this night not end?" you murmur quietly, the footballer easily slides his hand into yours, "who said it was ending?" he replies then squeezes your hand. You smile up at him, "I like the way you think" he chuckles which tugs at your heartstrings, "I like the way you make me feel normal" you squeeze his hand this time, "anytime Mase" he sighs then pulls you right against his side, your arm going around his waist as his goes across your shoulders.

The walk to his car is silent, your fingers dancing against his lower back the whole way there. You have no urge to talk because the silence between you two is comfortable, the only sounds being the occasional car driving by and far away noises that you can't decipher. It's when you arrive at the vehicle that you finally speak up. "I had a really great time Mase" he smiles then steps in front of you and his hands find your hips. "I had the best time Y/N, I hope we go on many more dates like these" your heart flutters at his hopeful words. "I'd really like that" he moves a hand up to stroke your cheek softly, "and I'd really like to kiss you right now" your breath catches at the unexpected admission. "It's only our first date though, don't you want to make sure this works" he shakes his head almost immediately, "I'm pretty positive you're the one for me" you blush so he lowers his head toward yours. "If you want to take it slow I can wait" he adds when he notices how flustered you are, but you look into his dark eyes and feel no uncertainty about the relationship that is developing. "I'm pretty sure that you're the one for me Mason" you whisper, giving him permission in your own way, so he kisses you and it doesn't disappoint. The strong connection is felt in the embrace that neither of you want to break but eventually need to because of oxygen and reality. It doesn't stop you from stealing kisses at every red light, then in front of your apartment before final goodbyes are exchanged with a promise of seeing each other soon.