Crushing On You - Daniel Ricciardo

You shiver as you walk through the turnstiles after scanning your pass. "I told you it would be cold sis" your brother says while walking next to you, "I didn't think you were serious" you mutter and wrap your arms around yourself to keep some kind of warmth in your body. "I'm sure your dream guy Daniel can help with that" you blush at the way he wiggles his eyebrows, hating that he found out about your crush on the Formula 1 driver, "shut up bro, you never know who's listening around here" he laughs but doesn't say anything, which does nothing to reassure you of the fact. As far as you were concerned the dark haired Australian only knew you as the younger sister that doubled as a photography assistant to your brother, and you planned on keeping it that way for many more months until you found a job of your own.

You notice something change a couple of hours later as you help your brother frame up a photo. While you stand in the shot still shivering to help, you notice people staring at you way more than usual. "Why are so many people staring?" you ask your brother when you get back next to him, "they always watch, aren't you used to it by now?" he replies in confusion, "but there was something different about the stares" he looks up at you with a smile. "Don't worry sis, I'm sure it's nothing" you relax at his laid back response, "you're probably right, I'm just being silly" he nudges you earning a small laugh as the two of you get back to what he's planning.

••••

You blow into your cradled hands a couple of hours later hoping that it'll warm up your glacial hands. Your brother left you alone while he went to capture some moments between practice 1 and 2, meaning that you were left shivering without any company to distract you from the cold temperature. When something warm is draped over your shoulders you jump slightly and turn your head to thank your saviour. Words fail to leave your mouth as Daniel Ricciardo stands behind you with a smile on his face. You open your mouth but close it again seconds later a million thoughts going through your mind trying to figure out if the cold has gotten to your head and is making you hallucinate.

"You okay Y/N?" he asks concerned, the use of your name snaps you out of your speculations, "you know my name?" you reply in surprise. He chuckles, his eyes crinkling up in a way you've only seen in pictures, "I'm not that horrible at remembering names am I?" you shrug and bring your fingers to the edges of the McLaren team jacket draped over you pulling it closer for more warmth, "I'm not really anyone you need to remember" he tilts his head at your statement. "I think knowing the name of the pretty girl that has a crush on me is important" you choke slightly your eyes widening, "what that's crazy, I don't have a crush on you" he lifts an eyebrow but you just look at him innocently trying to mask the fact that you're freaking out that he somehow found out about your attraction to him. "You do know that there are mics by the turnstiles" he explains while crossing his arms across his chest, "shit really?" he nods so your face heats up in embarrassment as you remember what was said between you and your sibling. "Cool cool, i'm just going to go die of embarrassment now, it was nice knowing you" you explain with a laugh and shrug off the McLaren jacket to give back to him. Daniel holds his hands up not accepting it, "you need it more than me so keep it Y/N" he replies but you shake your head, "it's yours I can't" he shrugs and starts backing away with a grin, proceeding to break into a jog leaving you standing there holding the jacket looking like an idiot.

"Where'd you get that?" you spin around at your brother's voice while hiding the bright orange jacket behind your back. "I'm gonna kill you" you reply with a glare, "what did I do?" he exclaims with wide eyes. You scoff, "the mics near the turnstiles, does that ring a bell?" the worry leaves his face at your words, "ahhh who told you?" you roll your eyes, "doesn't matter, but you somehow failed to mention it when you outed my crush on Dan" he smirks and easily snatches the McLaren jacket from behind your back. "It was him wasn't it?" you shrug while blushing and take back the team apparel holding it close to your chest. "Sis I think you should be thanking me instead" you shove him which makes him laugh, you decide to shrug on the oversized jacket still feeling a chill in the air as the cars rev to get on track for second practice. You hear the snap of his camera making you hold up a hand towards the lens, "aw come on Y/N, don't you want to remember the moment you got to wear Dan's jacket" he teases making you blush even more as you tuck your chin into the collar, "shudup" you mumble and turn towards the speeding cars.

••••

When your brother sends you the pictures he took, it shocks you that its you in those professional looking photos. The black and orange jacket fitting you in a perfectly imperfect way, the sleeves hiding your cold hands as you're huddled into the collar eyes focused on the action. "That can't be me" you murmur while scrolling through different variations of the photos, "you look like you belong here with him sis" your brother interjects making you peer over at him, "no he would never go for someone like me, plus you belong here way more than me" he sighs and looks upwards for a couple of seconds. "I'll be back, wait here Y/N" he mutters, you nod and he walks away leaving you alone once again so you curl your hands into the jacket sleeves while biting your lip.

"Dan please tell my sister that the track is the place for her" you look up at the statement seeing your brother and Daniel walking towards you. The Australian grins while his gaze takes you in making a blush come to your cheeks, "fuck I want you by my side in that every weekend Y/N" he says. You shake your head and furrow your eyebrows, "don't pretend, I get enough crap from him" you reply gesturing to your older sibling, the sleeves of the jacket covering your hands again at the movement.

Daniel frowns making you lower your gaze to your sneaker clad feet, when his feet touch yours you look up, your chin still in the collar of the McLaren jacket, "i'm not pretending Y/N, I never was" he mumbles, "but-" he shakes his head cutting you off, "i've seen you at every race weekend, wondering what I would have to do to get your attention" he explains leaving you speechless for a few seconds. "Wait me?" he chuckles at the question, "yes Y/N" you try to wind your head around the new information.

"Go to dinner with me tonight?" Daniel asks making you blink and look over at your brother, "am I dreaming? I'm pretty sure this isn't real" he rolls his eyes but smiles, "just say yes, I've had enough of his questions and enough of your gushing, put me out of my misery"  your mouth forms an 'o' as you look back to Daniel. He gives you a nervous smile so you nod, "I'd really like that Dan" he relaxes at your answer and shoots forward to kiss your cheek, "meet me at the turnstiles in half an hour and we can head out" you nod again and he winks before turning around to head to the McLaren paddock. You bring your hand up to the spot on your cheek that he kissed a smile coming to your face, "god you two are impossible" your brother mutters making you laugh before you hug him, "thank you" he shrugs but returns the hug anyways. "Don't forget about us little people when you're travelling from race to race via super car or private jet" he says while pulling away, "we're not even dating" you reply with a laugh, "I know but I've got a really good feeling about you two" you smile hoping that he's right as you start to get your things together to go meet Daniel at the track exit.