A Night To Remember - Mason Mount

A/N Happy New Year friends! Let's hope 2024 is amazing!

❄️❄️❄️

The holiday season has always been your favourite so when your friend invites you to an ugly Christmas sweater party at her boyfriend's place you immediately say yes. The lead up to the party had both of you excited and using all of the crafting knowledge you had to come up with the best ugly sweaters.

❄️❄️❄️

"What a sight for sore eyes" your friend's boyfriend says when he opens the door to his place the night of the party. You throw your arms out and he laughs before stepping out of the doorway to let you two into the house. The amount of over the top Christmas sweaters that greet you makes a smile come to your face. "People really went all out" your friend mumbles as she pulls you toward the drinks. "It's perfect" you add and continue to take in all of the different types of sweaters.

Later in the evening you're sitting on the couch, drink in hand as you watch your friend and her boyfriend giggling to each other. The sight warms your heart but also has you longing for the same thing. The emotion makes you suddenly stand from your spot. The movement draws the attention of your friend. "You alright Y/N?" She asks, you nod and hope that she can't read your expression in the dim living room, "just need a refill" you reply and want her to believe the excuse. Before she asks more questions you spin around to head back to the makeshift bar in the kitchen.

In the rush to escape your emotions you don't fully focus on the path you're walking. This is when you step on someone by accident. The quiet swear that follows makes you stop and look up from your feet. "I'm so sorry I didn't mean to step on your foot" you say, the man you don't quite see in the dark room steps closer. The light hits his face and you freeze at the familiar features of your ex boyfriend. Everything around you fades and your heartbeat is the only thing you can hear even though his lips are moving. Various emotions go through you, which add to the longing you were running away from seconds earlier.

When Mason places a hand on your arm sound returns to your surroundings. "Y/N are you okay?" He asks so your eyes well up with tears, "no, I miss you" you respond with complete honesty. He slides his hand from your arm to your hand to bring it up to his lips, and he presses a soft kiss to your skin. "I miss you too" he says which makes your belly flutter with nerves or maybe excitement. "There you are" an additional voice interjects. You turn to the familiar voice to see your friend watching you with worry on her face. "Hey Y/F/N" Mason greets, she looks at him then nods, "hey" she replies shortly then takes your hand. "Let's go get drinks babe" she explains then drags you away from the footballer.

Once in the kitchen she turns to you, "I didn't know he would be here Y/N, I would've warned you" she says so you shake your head, "it's kind of nice to see him" you mumble. "Don't you hate him?" You shrug then look up at her, "I'm pretty sure I miss him more than anything" she sighs and you frown. "Plus I see you guys being all cute and cuddly, it makes me miss having someone, Mason was my longest relationship, two and two together is a recipe for longing" you explain to her with a pleading expression that hopefully she understands. She lets out a different kind of sigh before getting you your favourite drink. "Christmas is for forgiveness and love, may it be merry and bright for both of us" she says then holds up her drink, you tap your cup to hers then take a swig.

You have a new boost of determination after talking to your friend so you use it to search for Mason. The detail oriented part of your brain forgot what his sweater looks like so it takes longer than you want to spot him in the crowded house. When you find him chatting with your friend's boyfriend you smile then head their way. Once in reaching distance you place a gentle hand on Mason's shoulder to gain his attention. He peers over so you smile, "can we talk?" You ask, he nods then excuses himself from the previous conversation to follow you.

In a more private area of the house you stop and turn to Mason. "Can we forget the past and enjoy the present?" you ask, he takes your hands to guide them up to his shoulders before he places his on your hips, "I would like nothing more Y/N" he replies. "Perfect" you mumble quietly then pull him down for a kiss, which surprises both of you. The remainder of the evening you and Mason are inseparable just like when you were together. You eventually grow tired of the party so Mason offers to drive you home. You can't find an excuse to say no after you spent the whole party with him. Once you send your friend a text to let her know you're leaving you follow the Manchester footballer to his car.

❄️❄️❄️

When you wake up the next morning there's a second of confusion because you aren't in your own room but the familiar arm draped across your waist answers your silent question. The sheets make noise as you rotate to face Mason and his arm tightens around you with eyes still closed. You smile at the movement, and are reminded of the many mornings spent in the same position. The thought makes you sigh then shift your body to press a kiss to his cheek. His breathing changes so you know that you woke him up. You pull away from Mason just as his eyes open. "Morning" you whisper then smile, he blinks a few times then rubs the sleep from his eyes, "you're still here" he says so you nod and he pulls you closer again. "I thought you'd be gone by now" you shake your head, "and miss out on a Mason Mount breakfast? Never!" he laughs and so do you.

"I've missed hearing that laugh" you blush so he brings a hand up to your rosy cheek. "I laughed more times last night and this morning than I have in the past year" Mason brushes his nose against yours and you place a hand on his firm chest, "we can't have that happen again now can we?" you don't answer right away because you're scared of going through the same heartbreak with him.

"Y/N" he murmurs then pulls away to see your expression better. "I don't want us to become strangers again and I don't want my heart to break a second time" you explain to make him understand your hesitation. He pulls you into his chest then kisses your head softly."I don't want that either" you sigh in response then wrap your arms around his torso. "But I think I'm willing to give this another chance" he shifts his body and it makes you loosen your arms then look at his surprised and hopeful expression. "Are you sure? my intention wasn't to trick you into this Y/N" you smile at the footballer. "I know Mase but you gave me a night to remember so even though we have things to talk about and work through I couldn't imagine spending my time with anyone else", he grins so you move your hand up to his cheek then he lowers his head to press a gentle kiss to your lips. "Happy Christmas Y/N" he murmurs when pulling away, "Christmas miracle isn't it?" You reply so he laughs then the two of you spend the rest of the day together as you did in past Christmas'.